RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Kyosho Inferno us sports Ready Set????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/5029142-kyosho-inferno-us-sports-ready-set.html)

RLMHPI 11-22-2006 11:38 PM

Kyosho Inferno us sports Ready Set?????

I was intersted in this buggy or the hyper 8 rtr and just wanted everybodys opinion on these two buggies???

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...ars/31277B.asp

slodsm 11-23-2006 05:32 PM

RE: Kyosho Inferno us sports Ready Set?????

If it were me, I would go with the hyper 8 rtr. Kyosho makes excellent cars and it's all I buy but there RTR's leave a bit to be desired. They don't seem to bother putting good gears/plastics on them at all.

Ofna on the other hand was originally an RTR company and they make pretty nice ones.

RLMHPI 11-23-2006 09:49 PM

I am not too sure about the plastic quality but this particular kyosho buggy comes with a hardned steel clutch bell and spur also the ring and pinion in the diffs come helical cut gears hardned steel!!!

mozzzy_2000 11-23-2006 10:56 PM

yeah I was checking that out the otherday. They seem to have upgraded a few parts to hardened steel and they are still a very cheap RTR kit and if this is your first buggy, not a bad starting point.

RLMHPI 11-23-2006 11:13 PM

I just cant decide the hyper 8 rtr looks very nice polished exhaust versus the kyosho dull silver front and rear sway bars versus the kyosho it has none the ofna engine looks nicer and a little more mean looking cylinder head i know looks can be decieving and mean nothing but thats what makes me want it!!! But the kyosho comes with a electronic LCD remote thats its major advantage!!! I need more opinions it would be nice to speak to somebody who owns either one of these!!!!

RLMHPI 11-23-2006 11:14 PM

But any opinions are appreciated!!! :)

Super_Dave 11-24-2006 01:25 AM

I had the MP777 kit which is similar to that RTR. The shock towers seriously lack adjustment and they will bend easier then the hyper 8's towers (I replaced them with racers edge towers which are cheap but great quality and adjustment). The knuckles are also weak and its pretty easy to pull the threads right out of the bottom bolt (broke one in half and pulled the threads out of 3... only one hit was a very hard one). The buggy handled good if your a point and shoot kind of driver.

With the hyper 8 you don't need to upgrade one single thing. Its all top quality (atleast the pro kit is) and it handles great. It handles closer to an on-road car then the MP777 so you need to keep smooth flowing lines which will be harder for a novice to do. However the electronics that ofna puts in their buggies SUCK! I would highly recommend atleast replacing both servos right out of the box (steering if you want any steering and throttle/brake if you want any brakes). The radio is do able but I would deffinatly replace that too. I have no idea what electronics come with that kyosho but the radio looks digital.

RLMHPI 11-24-2006 07:47 AM

I agree with you about the radio equipment it probably sucks thats why i was thinking of the pro kit it will be more money at first but i could put together a quality set up which would eliminate all that rtr stuff i greatly appreciate your response more people like you would make this easier for me to decide i think the hyper pro may be in my future how are the servos that come with the jr radios perferably the spektrum if you know???

jonnymac 11-24-2006 08:14 AM

If you get the hyper 8 pro kit I dont think you will be dissapointed and there will be no upgrading needed. I cant speak for the spektrum radios myself but I haven't heard anything bad about them. I use the JR XS3 synth radio which is ideal and good value, although the steering servo I replaced pretty quickly. With a good budget engine that would be an extremely good setup.
For RTR look at the turmoil from sportwerks as that comes with a good engine and radio as standard (but i'd still go the hyper 8 pro route myself)

46u 11-24-2006 04:39 PM

Do not do RTR so I will recommend the Hyper 8 Pro kit. I sure do like mine.

Super_Dave 11-24-2006 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: RLMHPI

I agree with you about the radio equipment it probably sucks thats why i was thinking of the pro kit it will be more money at first but i could put together a quality set up which would eliminate all that rtr stuff i greatly appreciate your response more people like you would make this easier for me to decide i think the hyper pro may be in my future how are the servos that come with the jr radios perferably the spektrum if you know???
Personally I found JR's analog servos to be to unreliable for steering. I know someone who uses the Z590 for throttle/brake with good results. I use Futaba analog servos and they don't give you any disadvantage on the track up against digital. Digital servos are nice but its deffinatly not nessisary to spend $100 on one servo. I use the Futaba S3305 for steering and the S3010 on throttle/brake and have great results and its very reliable. The spektrum radio seems to be a great buy I know a few people who have it. Personally I have the JR XS3 and I can't see myself getting a different radio anytime soon. The adjustments in the radio are almost fool proof to find and you can even record lap times using your thumb. There are two other buttons for your thumb as well... one is to change your steering rate mid race and the other is to change your brake end point mid race (no use in an 1/8 buggy but good in a long main with a 2wd stadium truck because you don't wanna lock up the tires after they wear down). Also if you have a channel conflict then just change the dial on your reciever and program the channel into the radio which is simple enough.

RLMHPI 11-24-2006 05:47 PM

Thanks guys you are all making this easier!! lol Does the remote you have tell you battery voltage and can you also store your settings if you choose to use one remote for multiple vehicles?

jonnymac 11-24-2006 06:08 PM

Yes the XS3 has a voltage metre and an alarm if it falls to low. It has 6 model memories too.

Super_Dave 11-24-2006 07:26 PM

Thanks guys you are all making this easier!! lol Does the remote you have tell you battery voltage and can you also store your settings if you choose to use one remote for multiple vehicles?
Yeah what Jonny said :). Keep in mind spekrum has less of a chance to glitch as well because of its bandwidth. Things like metal on metal contact (like when your glow ignitor scrapes on the engine cylinder head) wont effect a spectrum radio. I did have some water in a servo once which made my XS3 glitch but just make sure everythings working right and you'll never have a glitching problem with any 75mhz radio.

RLMHPI 11-24-2006 07:39 PM

I was looking at the xs3 and it looks like a great radio for the money I was also looking at the xs3 pro it was a little more money and a bit more features. If I was to buy this radio and put it in a buggy if i wanted to use it for my savage also would i have to get another jr receiver???

Super_Dave 11-24-2006 07:55 PM

I was looking at the xs3 and it looks like a great radio for the money I was also looking at the xs3 pro it was a little more money and a bit more features. If I was to buy this radio and put it in a buggy if i wanted to use it for my savage also would i have to get another jr receiver???
Yeah you would and a reciever is $75. A spektrum reciever is a little more though.

RLMHPI 11-24-2006 08:05 PM

75 Bucks is a little much but I guess with quality comes a price! I know this is a loaded question and everybody will have different opinions but why not hear them all...lol... Which engine would you prefer to put in the hyper 8 pro i was thinking for the money i was looking at an axial 28 or 32 what r u guys runing and what are your opinions?????
Thanks Again Guys

RLMHPI 11-24-2006 08:06 PM

oops

Super_Dave 11-25-2006 11:27 AM

For the money you cannot beat the power of a Sportwerks .26. They are $140 and my SW .21 will keep up with some of the higher end engines. I was slightly outrunning a Novarossi P5 at one point. All of mine have lasted about 6 gallons of fuel and its only $50 for a new piston and sleeve.

RLMHPI 11-25-2006 11:30 AM

Thanks for your input i will research that engine all other opinions are welcome!!!

jonnymac 11-26-2006 03:51 PM

The Hyper 8 port can be had for very little money and is a reasonable club level engine. The sportwerks engines as Dave said (made by SH, also rebranded as LRP or nosram, so any of these). Also take a look at the STS engines. I would suggest keeping it to a .21 though if you have any serious racing aspirations

RLMHPI 11-26-2006 05:42 PM

Most likely i will be only bashing with it thats why i was thinking more of a bigger engine like an axial 28 or maybe an o.s 30vg i like big block tourqe but i also like small displacement screamers and with a single speed i think rpm is what i should be looking for hmmmmmm.......

jonnymac 11-27-2006 05:03 AM

Well I've never had problems with a .21 but if your serious about larger displacement i'd get the SH .26 6 port. I dont know anything about the engine you mentioned though so they could be OK. I suppose its a gamble unless you know someone who uses one.
Just remember that all that torque will give you is wheel spins and lost power. I can see why you'd be attreacted to it though :)

RLMHPI 12-09-2006 06:22 PM

I was speaking to my LHS and he informed me that though he could get parts for the hyper 8 rtr the kyosho inferno us sports buggy was much easier to get parts and most of the infernos are intercgangeable also the kyosho could easily be upgraded to world class standards i still have not decided i am in no rush its winter and christmas is coming but i definatly think a kit will be way too much on the pocket and i would rather put a little of that extra cash into my savage and rs4 evo!!!

Super_Dave 12-09-2006 07:13 PM

I was speaking to my LHS and he informed me that though he could get parts for the hyper 8 rtr the kyosho inferno us sports buggy was much easier to get parts and most of the infernos are intercgangeable also the kyosho could easily be upgraded to world class standards
The hyper 8 is already a world class buggy and made of no less quality then the Kyosho SP-2. What does he mean by he can get parts for the kyosho easier?