RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   WHAT ARE THE KNOWN PROBLEMS WITH MUGEN MBX5 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/5720755-what-known-problems-mugen-mbx5.html)

1/8racer 04-15-2007 05:48 PM

WHAT ARE THE KNOWN PROBLEMS WITH MUGEN MBX5

just got one .....what are the known problems with the mugen

dicko 04-15-2007 06:00 PM

RE: WHAT ARE THE KNOWN PROBLEMS WITH MUGEN MBX5

box stock nothing except the leaking diff o rings, but the ones from carolinas RC & you won't have any problems.

when you build it grind a notch in the pins for the CV joints so that the grub screw can bite into it, & use GOOD locktite & you'll reduce the risk of throwing a CV pin.

RevToTheRedline 04-15-2007 06:05 PM

A Main Hobbies sells a pack of 10 or so diff seals that fix the problem I've heard.

And as for anything else, talking to a few Mugen MBX5 and 5R owners, that seems to be the only problem.

The X5R is the buggy I'm buying in the next week or two.

nacodeblue 04-16-2007 03:39 PM

Just a couple things I have found. It is real easy to strip the nut holders inside the stone deflectors. I found that if I prethread the screw with the nut a couple of times before I assemble, makes it much easier. Also I used silicone adhesive between the chasis and the stone deflector to prevent it from warping and allowing dirt underneath it.

happywing 04-16-2007 04:12 PM

Going on one year and I've thrown a CVD pin...that's it.

Grevo26maxx 02-28-2008 10:57 AM

I just bought the seals to redo on another buggy I just bought from nacodeblue yesterday and gotta do a couple other things but my other mbx5 pro has had 1 diff seal leak since I got it! I love these buggies and will run one of these over anything else...

Osirisf16 02-28-2008 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

But you have already a X5R as your sig saying, right?

nabanta 02-28-2008 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

But you have already a X5R as your sig saying, right?
That was from April of 2007.;)

RevToTheRedline 02-28-2008 07:54 PM

Bring it back from the dead!

Osirisf16 02-29-2008 07:01 AM

What the??? :) Who revive this thread? :eek: I though it was new since it was here. Now let see...oh i got it. Hey, Grevo26maxx, next time make a new thread of your own ;)

Grevo26maxx 02-29-2008 07:16 AM

Hey I didnt even bother to look at the date.. But yet the buggy is the same as far as problems....just diffs!

Osirisf16 02-29-2008 07:22 AM

Yeah, but someone who haven's seen it ever (like me), he will read all the thread to understand the meaning of the problem. ;)

Grevo26maxx 02-29-2008 07:43 AM

yeah. I've been doing this for some years now and this is the best buggy in my opinion... Id take one of the mugens over anything else.. I have a buddy that just bought a 8ight and he got the rtr and has had nothing but problems since the first time he ran it... not trying to knock the 8ight cause they are nice buggies but their alot like the REVO & SAVAGE saga,,, Savage is tough right out of the box and the revos crap,, you put the right aftermarket parts on the revo and its a bad ****! Same for these other 2. I mainly own Mugens and revos but I do own a savage or 2 too!! LOL

Osirisf16 02-29-2008 09:26 AM

Indeed the MBX5 of Mugen is one of the best buggys in the world (don't forget the Kyosho of course, especially the MP777 WC). What mugens you got?

RevToTheRedline 02-29-2008 10:10 AM

Well I guess since this thread is active again I'll give a little update since I bought mine quite a while and raced it half a season, this thing is brilliant. Not a single problem with it, I built it with the aftermarket A Main diff seals and have had no issues. I never tried the factory ones so I can't speak for them. I've yet to rebuild my shocks they are amazing just replace the shock oil once in a while and it's always clean.

Foxy 02-29-2008 10:50 AM

Osi, it's your responsibility to look at the date, at least of the first post, before you decide what to reply. ;)

Osirisf16 02-29-2008 01:07 PM

Rarely, threads come into the surface again, so i don't bother looking into the date, so i answered. :D

Hey RevToTheRedline, because i like this mugen buggy, can you tell if that problem they saying exist in the newest versions of mugen's pro buggy?

Grim4g63t 03-04-2008 05:58 PM

meh this thred is still good. I just got a used MBX5 from ebay, Will overhaul it when it gets here. I've read and was told via phone that the Mbx5r arms are weaker, as i was planing to upgrade it to that. just think i almost got a xb8....

dicko 03-04-2008 07:17 PM

the early MBX5R arms had a problem, the current ones are fine. no issues on mine

Grim4g63t 03-04-2008 07:23 PM

sweet, then i smell an upgrade soon :D

infernos777 03-05-2008 02:45 AM

The mugen mbx5r won the r/c car magazine buggy shootout last year, i figured what the heck and i picked one up. the car is awesome, its really easy to drive. ive owned them all and my mugen has been awesome for durability. itll handle bumpy tracks better than any car ive found too, i love mine although i love my jammin x1cr also the mugen has been better for me, just my 2cents!