RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Tire Balancer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/7706196-tire-balancer.html)

tommygun32 07-08-2008 01:55 AM

Tire Balancer

1 Attachment(s)
I remember a thread a while back about balancing tires and YES...it makes a massive difference in the handling of the car. So here's how I've eventually sorted out my tire balancer.

It is a propeller balancer with the simple addition to a spare wheel hub and wheel nut to center to tire on the balancing rod. A-main or I'm sure you can get the prop balancer at any decent hobby shop that deals in arial rc.

INTEGRA 07-08-2008 08:11 AM

RE: Tire Balancer

what are u using for weight ? there's an effective way to do it....and a Wrong way to do it.

tommygun32 07-08-2008 08:18 AM

I'm trying different things at the moment. I bought a pack of Tire Balancing Putty from Amain and I've picked up a couple different sticks of hardening putty that you mix 50/50 and it dries like cement. I'm finding though that these different compounds are TOO LIGHT (very little weight to them).....some of the tires require a whole heck of a lot of putty before they balance out (not pea size little balls)

What do you use Integra?

INTEGRA 07-08-2008 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

I'm trying different things at the moment. I bought a pack of Tire Balancing Putty from Amain and I've picked up a couple different sticks of hardening putty that you mix 50/50 and it dries like cement. I'm finding though that these different compounds are TOO LIGHT (very little weight to them).....some of the tires require a whole heck of a lot of putty before they balance out (not pea size little balls)

What do you use Integra?

find a Golf supply store....they sell Lead tape...thats for Weighting the head of golf clubs for the Pro's....its about 5-6$ a roll...and a roll should easily do a set of tires...pending on how much u waste from experimenting....I suggest getting a couple rolls to make sure u dont run out....also pending on what kind of offset u run...will depend on where the weight goes.....more Q's Just shoot.

Also what tires are u trying ?

tommygun32 07-09-2008 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
INTEGRA....

I have a set of GO-R301 Hammer (I'm guessing they are HoBao as that's what that shop mostly sells - 2nd pic)

A couple sets of halfway decent Q&Model pre-mounted off road tires (1st pic)

And I'm waiting for some Pro Line Crime Fighters M2 and Pro Line Bow Tie M2 from Amain which are going to be mounted on Kyosho 10 Spoke rims.

By the way, what have you found to be the best glue for mounting tires?

INTEGRA 07-09-2008 09:02 AM

ill get some names/pics of the glues i use a little later today...and a little more detailed explanation on how i do my balancing...where the weight goes....and how much in Too much. :D

Jerzferno 07-09-2008 09:16 AM

Tommy - I had one tire that was waaaaaay out of balance. I actually used tiny nuts that I pushed into the putty to get a balanced tire. Use your imagination. I agree with you. Balanced tires makes a bi difference. I noticed it too after I did it. One last thing. Make sre you prep the rim before you put any putty on it. Sand the area first. It will give whatever you use more holding poaer. So far 5 practice tanks, 4 qualifying heats, and 2 mains, and not a single weight thrown. holding up good.

INTEGRA 07-09-2008 02:07 PM

puddy ONLY works on Zero off wheels FYI. the tape is what u need as soon as u get any sort of an Offset.

tommygun32 07-10-2008 01:53 AM

I'll wait for it mate....;)

Thanks

INTEGRA 07-10-2008 08:26 AM

I'll wait for it mate....;)

Thanks

wait for what ? huh ?

tommygun32 07-10-2008 08:36 AM

Wait for this......

Quote:
ill get some names/pics of the glues i use a little later today...and a little more detailed explanation on how i do my balancing...where the weight goes....and how much in Too much.

INTEGRA 07-10-2008 08:39 AM

Wait for this......

Quote:
ill get some names/pics of the glues i use a little later today...and a little more detailed explanation on how i do my balancing...where the weight goes....and how much in Too much.

haha oh man...BRAIN FART....sorry tommy...ill go take pics RIGHT now. BRB.

tommygun32 07-12-2008 01:37 PM

OK INTEGRA, I'm going to guess that you're just really busy at the moment....[&:]

INTEGRA 07-12-2008 07:06 PM

URG.....were doin a 3 day race thing this weekend...and i have the pics i need on my SD card....along with about 150-200 racing pics that need uploading and editing.......ill get back to u I PROMISE :D

tommygun32 07-13-2008 01:47 AM

No problem mate;)...I figured it was something like that. I still need to find a golfing pro shop that sells that tape anyway. Thanks

qaiz 07-13-2008 07:26 AM

Tommy, have set up mine the same way.

Tho I desperately need to find something to use as a weight.

Im gonna go tomorrow and find some JB Stick Weld, have heard it works good...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...7/P1010071.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...7/P1010072.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...7/P1010073.jpg

INTEGRA 07-13-2008 08:07 AM

Qaiz....Trust me on this 1....the lead tape is THE ONLY thing thats gonna work.....JB would be too light...and Impossible to work with fast enuff before it set-up.....modeling puddy if anything for those buggy wheels...but anything 1/2" off u NEEEEEEEED the tape..No question's asked....u CANNOT balance a tire off the center line.

qaiz 07-13-2008 08:24 AM

Thanks Integra,

Will try and get some lead tape tonight then.

Still new to this balancing game.

rpg711 07-13-2008 08:48 AM

I dont even get what the point is... all I see is a tire set up on a stand... lol 0.0

INTEGRA 07-13-2008 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: rpg711

I dont even get what the point is... all I see is a tire set up on a stand... lol 0.0

balanced wheels ride 1000x BETTER Spin true and dont shake the truck to death........ever heard of that little factor called Rotating mass...12-1 :D

pics of my set-up and where the weight goes will be up by later tonight or tomorrow

qaiz 07-13-2008 10:47 AM

Found this on another thread..

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

I use modeling clay I get in the school supply area at the grocery store.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../Xray_0439.jpg

Seems a few people use modelling clay too

ORIGINAL: DriftProjectR

i do the exact same thing! hahaha :D
Integra, would that be a good alternative if I cant get a hold of some lead tape.?

vic viper 07-13-2008 10:49 AM

Ridiculus the wheels balance will shift after one half lap at the track, dirt, and jumps warping the rim will affect the roundness of the wheel.
Balancing wont do jack sh_t!

qaiz 07-13-2008 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: vic viper

Ridiculus the wheels balance will shift after one half lap at the track, dirt, and jumps warping the rim will affect the roundness of the wheel.
Theres always one :eek:

dsales 07-13-2008 11:09 AM

How do you make a wheel balancer?

vic viper 07-13-2008 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: qaiz

ORIGINAL: vic viper

Theres always one :eek:

Then you tell me!, do you honestly think that the wheels will stay balanced after one lap round the track?
And what is the actual preformance gain?
If the wheels are in fact so wobbly that you cant ride them, it will show on the starter box.