RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Looking for a new 1/8 buggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/9262022-looking-new-1-8-buggy.html)

sheograth 11-18-2009 01:20 AM

Looking for a new 1/8 buggy

I'm in the market for a new 1/8 buggy but am pretty unfamiliar with all the options. I had an 8ight 1.0 that I gave away to a friend getting into the hobby, but would like to give 1/8 a shot again. I don't race competitively but I do like high performance stuff. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at the 8ight 2.0, Mugen MBX6, and the Xray XB808.

Chris_RC 11-18-2009 10:02 AM

RE: Looking for a new 1/8 buggy

Go to your track and see what the msot popular cars are. Usually it is in this order (most popular to least)
Losi
Mugen
Xray

Are you goig to buy race equipment or get the RTR version?

mabuecker 11-18-2009 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I'm in the market for a new 1/8 buggy but am pretty unfamiliar with all the options. I had an 8ight 1.0 that I gave away to a friend getting into the hobby, but would like to give 1/8 a shot again. I don't race competitively but I do like high performance stuff. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at the 8ight 2.0, Mugen MBX6, and the Xray XB808.
first off i would like to say you sincerely cannot go wrong with any of your choices. personally i would prefer also what your lhs carries and straddle that. right off the bat if you were just wanting high performance and hope to not break anything i would go 808. its proven that xray will normally outlast a losi. the new x6 design and materials seem to not be the same as the x5(the x5 and lower were so very strong what happened) mugen so unless other factors would be of concern than mentioned i would not go mugen. i drive all losi cars and love them. i have had a few issues with the new losi metals and plastics and losi has been great helping repairing the defects so that could help you in your choice as well. i might not have gave a definative choice for you although this is where i stand and hope i helped

hakmazter 11-18-2009 11:19 PM

You are in California, people are starting to take Caster Racing very seriously out there as an alternative to the ones you mentioned.

Chris_RC 11-19-2009 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: hakmazter

You are in California, people are starting to take Caster Racing very seriously out there as an alternative to the ones you mentioned.
I seen 2-3 at most Caster cars at the last big race in California (Sidewinder Nitro). Alot of people still don't know about them.

Vert1go 11-19-2009 06:50 AM

I actually just ordered a Caster ZX1.5R, can't wait until it gets here.

supertib 11-19-2009 07:43 AM

Get the Mugen MBX6...way tougher then anything else........

khudzik 11-19-2009 01:29 PM

My vote would have to go to 8ight 2.0, in my opinion it's the best cost/quality/performance combination out there. You'd be plenty happy with the other two as well but there's a reason why Losi vehicles are as popular as they are. Just my 2 cents.

breezerboat 11-19-2009 02:30 PM

MBX6 all the way.

sheograth 11-19-2009 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies. In terms of my LHS, he doesn't carry much 1/8 stuff but has good vendor relationships so I can order pretty much anything and have it arrive really fast. So far I am leaning towards but Mugen but we'll see - I just treated myself to a helicopter as well [&:]

BigTb17 11-19-2009 11:46 PM

I'm currently building an Associated RC8B FT and making it brushless. The kit itself is built, but I'm waiting for odds and ends as well as the electronics. So far everything seems great. However, I don't have much direct experience with other 1/8th scale vehicles to compare it to, and haven't even run it yet:D. I was impressed with how precise everything is. Nothing binds, yet there is little to no play anywhere. The fit, finish, and overall build quality is excellent. Maybe this is common among 1/8th scale buggies, but all I know is that these things are better overall than on any other RC car I've owned (all 1/10th scale and smaller up until now). It should be an awesome car once I get it going.

My buddy has an Ofna buggy (an older Hyper 7). I don't know much about it other than it is a tank. He is anything but gentle on his RC cars, and his Ofna buggy is the only one that he hasn't broken anything significant on. And it's not from lack of cartwheeling and hitting stuff. It may be heavier than my RC8 (won't know for sure until everything is installed in my buggy), but some parts are physically just a bit larger on his Ofna (most noticeably the turnbuckles and driveshafts/axles). I actually have it at my house right now, so if you have any questions about it I will check it out and answer if I can.

89steeda 11-22-2009 09:56 PM

I have a nice hyper 8.5 for you. Cheap......

hustler777 11-28-2009 12:03 AM

i'd look into mugen, caster, or xray (unless you were truly happy with your losi, then maybe losi...i just don't get along with them lol)  these 3 (4) seem to be the norm at almost any track i've been to.  from what i understand, caster has probly the best customer care and support around (and for the price you can't go wrong).......just remeber, you get what you pay for.......

Vert1go 11-28-2009 02:42 AM

Dude, totally check out the new Caster ZX1.5R. I'm extremely impressed with it.  This is the new RTR model and it comes with the Go .21 engine.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ohsq5u.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/dqqjwm.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/v8kkg7.jpg

Brett185 11-28-2009 03:54 AM

Oh please Sheo, you know good and well you can get whatever car you want and then buy two more of them. You know your gonna get the best of the best. You've already got every car under the sun, and for peats sake, you of all people are asking others advice on which 1/8 to get, please. You know your gonna get the top of the line buggy.

lez1troubles 11-30-2009 04:50 AM

If you want the best under the sun just get a (((((KYOSHO)))))MP7.5 or MP777. You cannt go wrong there.
You could also just buy the crappiest buggy that you can find and TRY to keep up with the pack.:D