RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   please help me choose a buggy for my 8 years old! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/9691515-please-help-me-choose-buggy-my-8-years-old.html)

revel67 04-26-2010 09:26 PM

please help me choose a buggy for my 8 years old!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello this is my fist post on the forums, but I been reading for a while. I have a classic t-maxx totally upgraded( I had it since it came out) my son since he was a baby always wanted to play with it. now he's going to turn 8 years old. and he always ask me to let him drive the truck.
so for the past month I let him take the wheels. at first I show him how to have throttle control.
(he's getting better at it)
So the question is... his b-day is coming up and I want to buy him his own r/c. (he like's buggies) something not to expensive.
my LHS has a red cat 1/10 "shockwave" for $140.00( wich is not bad for his first r/c)
but I also found on-line a 1/10 "hyperspeed exceed" .16 engine w/ 2.4 radio for $ 119.00. and 1/8 "mad fire escced" .21 engine full bearing for $180.00.
can you guys guide me on which of 3 will be a good bang for the buck!

p.s here is mi T-maxx

jmaxey51 04-26-2010 11:29 PM

RE: please help me choose a buggy for my 8 years old!

honestly i would get him a slash, 2WD or 4WD. 4WD will be faster and more fun for him. plus its plug and play. they are extremely durable. and here in GA three of the local tracks now have a kids slash class. i see that growing around here. slash is a great starter and once he gets better he can still run it, there are some very good drivers that only run the short course classes.

coxie1996 04-27-2010 07:27 AM

look around for a savage xl. they are extremely durable and can take what ever an 8 year old can throw at it. they are not cheap so you need to shop around a little bit

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tag/1671299517.html

if he would still like a buggy then go with the red cat buggy. ive found out that exceed's parts tend to break ore easily

breezerboat 04-27-2010 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am a huge nitro guy, but I just bought my 6 year old a Hyper10 SC. Electric is going to be easier for him, and I can turn down the power, so that a full throttle will only go 5 or 10 mph. I can turn it up as he learns. And a HUGE plus to this.... I can race it too. The ony thing I would do different, is let him be more of a part of painting the body. I am buying another body so that he can make it his own.

Here's a picture. my kid is going to make a purple body.

The_Shark 04-27-2010 08:17 AM

dont get a 1/8 buggy, way too fast, way to heavy.

seriously, the best possible thing you can get is a HPI MT-2. AWD, wide track, very durable not too fast/heavy, and wont be rolling it over every 3 minutes.

revel67 04-27-2010 08:29 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies. speed is not a problem. he can handle my t-maxx with a hyper .21.
the problem is my budget I would like to spend no more that $ 200.00
the red cat is available at my LSH witch also includes parts.
but I will have to upgrade to BB and I don't really like the way the linkage for throttle is set up is very close to the bottom of cooling head(is almost rubbing it)
but for my budget I think red cat will be my choice...

again thanks for your inputs.

revel67 04-27-2010 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

I am a huge nitro guy, but I just bought my 6 year old a Hyper10 SC. Electric is going to be easier for him, and I can turn down the power, so that a full throttle will only go 5 or 10 mph. I can turn it up as he learns. And a HUGE plus to this.... I can race it too. The ony thing I would do different, is let him be more of a part of painting the body. I am buying another body so that he can make it his own.

Here's a picture. my kid is going to make a purple body.

P.s he already had an electric when he was 5...he really wants a nitro R/C

breezerboat 04-27-2010 08:32 AM

Good luck. I hope you and your boy can share some great father/son time in a great hobby that teaches kids a lot.

SyCo_VeNoM 04-27-2010 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

seriously, the best possible thing you can get is a HPI MT-2. AWD, wide track, very durable not too fast/heavy, and wont be rolling it over every 3 minutes.
true a MT2 is decent choice if its nitro

If your open for battery powered you could try a Traxxas bandit 2wd buggy. Pretty cheap and has tons of parts availability.
My nephew has a Traxxas stampede(mostly the same parts) and he loves it and don't break it often

Also there are Tamiya buggy kits.
the DF-02 (plasma edge/Rising storm/gravel hound) is a decent kit for around $120ish. 4wd needs a steering servo, and $30 futaba radio. Only gripe I ever had with it was the front shock tower and shocks are kinda craptastic (front shock towers too thin of plastic, and the shocks shaft might as well been made out of butter with how easy they bend) and should be replaced asap with aftermarket ones. Other than that its pretty durable.

1/8th I wouldn't recommend seeing there too fast and weigh a good amount. So anything that is hit will get damaged.

revel67 04-27-2010 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

Good luck. I hope you and your boy can share some great father/son time in a great hobby that teaches kids a lot.

Thanks that what I'm planing to do....(also will take him away from the ps3.. and really enjoy the outdoors)

SyCo_VeNoM 04-27-2010 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: revel67

Thanks guys for all your replies. speed is not a problem. he can handle my t-maxx with a hyper .21.
the problem is my budget I would like to spend no more that $ 200.00
the red cat is available at my LSH witch also includes parts.
but I will have to upgrade to BB and I don't really like the way the linkage for throttle is set up is very close to the bottom of cooling head(is almost rubbing it)
but for my budget I think red cat will be my choice...

again thanks for your inputs.

ahh made my last post before this was posted

umm redcats are not very durable so you will be blowing ALOT in parts (read it often on the boards)
Personally I'd use $280 and get a hyper 7 TQ black or a Picco if you trying to stay cheaper. They are way more durable, and you will save money in the long run in parts support.

revel67 04-27-2010 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

true a MT2 is decent choice if its nitro

If your open for battery powered you could try a Traxxas bandit 2wd buggy. Pretty cheap and has tons of parts availability.
My nephew has a Traxxas stampede(mostly the same parts) and he loves it and don't break it often

Also there are Tamiya buggy kits.
the DF-02 (plasma edge/Rising storm/gravel hound) is a decent kit for around $120ish. 4wd needs a steering servo, and $30 futaba radio. Only gripe I ever had with it was the front shock tower and shocks are kinda craptastic (front shock towers too thin of plastic, and the shocks shaft might as well been made out of butter with how easy they bend) and should be replaced asap with aftermarket ones. Other than that its pretty durable.

1/8th I wouldn't recommend seeing there too fast and weigh a good amount. So anything that is hit will get damaged.

Yes he started with a traxxas stampede very durable little truck!!

revel67 04-27-2010 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ahh made my last post before this was posted

umm redcats are not very durable so you will be blowing ALOT in parts (read it often on the boards)
Personally I'd use $280 and get a hyper 7 TQ black or a Picco if you trying to stay cheaper. They are way more durable, and you will save money in the long run in parts support.
[/quote]

Funny you mentioned that......because every time I walk into my LSH. I always see somebody buying parts for their redcat!!
probability I willl save up a little more and get him something durable and reliable.

thanks to all you guys for the help.

jmaxey51 04-27-2010 09:20 AM

if you get an hyper 7, just know they come a 28 now, most sites still say a hyper 21 engine but now they come with a machstar 28. also the picco comes with a picco based 21 engine, it is really fast for an RTR engine and should last alot longer than the hyper 7 engine. also the piccos engine will be a little easier to tune IMO. but still you cant go wrong with either one. but IMO the picco is alot better than the hyper 7 for the same price. they picco comes with 16mm shocks which make a huge difference and is more durable. i have never broken my ofna 16mm shocks but i broke the 13mm ones on the hyper 7 almost everytime i drove it. i hope this helps. but like i said both are very solid buggies.

kman8jr 04-29-2010 08:30 PM

<div>
</div><div>if he can handle the nitro than get him the hyper 7 black edition or the picco buggy because your kid is gonna be able to beat on it forever. I run the electric 8th scale buggies and the nitro 8th scale buggies and both are losi and ofna,the newer hyper 7 comes with an engine similar to the macstar .28 but it's a .21. the picco buggy will be faster and easier to tune because the engine is sold as an upgrade to some vehicles and when i read the review on the engine or the buggy on amainhobbies.com they were all good reviews.IN SHORT GET THE OFNA PICCO  BUGGY.the engine on the hyper is pretty good. ofna is easier to get parts for and really reliable. my losi's cost more so that is out of the question.</div>

revel67 04-29-2010 10:59 PM

How about this? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ini-Truggy-RTR

It not a redcat or exceed lol. that's about my budget.
what do you guys think? is by Ofna. and I have ofna .21 hyper on my T-maxx very reliable and easy to tune!!

kman8jr 04-29-2010 11:07 PM

Hey i forgot to mention i have one of those right now. this is gonna be perfect for your kid. I run it on a large track meant for 8th scale buggy or truggies and what funny is it keeps up with the bigdogs if tuned right,(easy to tune)and i haven,t broke anything flying over triples and doubles and of course the casual crashing.It is really beefed up if you look at the drivetrain. THIS IS A MINI 8TH SCALE TRUGGY AND IT IS AWESOME. THIS IS PERFECT FOR YOUR KID, SORRY FOR NOT RECOMMENDING IT TO YOU, I FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT.

revel67 04-29-2010 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: kman8jr

Hey i forgot to mention i have one of those right now. this is gonna be perfect for your kid. I run it on a large track meant for 8th scale buggy or truggies and what funny is it keeps up with the bigdogs if tuned right,(easy to tune)and i haven,t broke anything flying over triples and doubles and of course the casual crashing.It is really beefed up if you look at the drivetrain. THIS IS A MINI 8TH SCALE TRUGGY AND IT IS AWESOME. THIS IS PERFECT FOR YOUR KID, SORRY FOR NOT RECOMMENDING IT TO YOU, I FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT.
You I just needed A second opinion.. I just ordered. I think he's going to love this little truggy. I got from here.. $ 199.00 shipped.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=11162

How small is it? compare to the T-maxx!!

revel67 04-29-2010 11:14 PM

P.s thanks to all you guys for guided me in the right path.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

kman8jr 04-29-2010 11:22 PM

Well being next to a t-maxx, mine is actually sitting in front of me and i say it is about 14-15-inches long and about 8-9-inches wide.And it is a little screamer.Try to buy the reciever pack made for it right here.    ofn10200 thats the part number.

kman8jr 04-29-2010 11:28 PM

here is a link on youtube of a guy unboxing it. check the little beast out.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7873ShS9OAU

revel67 04-29-2010 11:35 PM

Well being next to a t-maxx, mine is actually sitting in front of me and i say it is about 14-15-inches long and about 8-9-inches wide.And it is a little screamer.Try to buy the reciever pack made for it right here. ofn10200 thats the part number.
does the pack has a regular plug?. that way I can use the charger I use for the T-maxx

kman8jr 04-29-2010 11:37 PM

it has the same red plug like on the traxxas battery.and it should work with your t-maxx charger on the lowest setting.check out the you tube link i sent.

revel67 04-29-2010 11:46 PM

here is a link on youtube of a guy unboxing it. check the little beast out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7873ShS9OAU

It comes with all that!!! fuel bottle, glow ignited. and I think that was the hum pack. the one were it has the price $24.99 right!!

p.s is not that small either! thanks a lot for all the info. and the waiting begins lolhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif my son is going to be very happy. I could see his face... he's going to like...... I love dad, you're the best dad in the whole wide world lol.
I can't wait my self to break in the engine. then go to the local park and do some father and son bashing with the T-maxx and mini jammnin!
thanks you make my day!!!!!!

kman8jr 04-29-2010 11:49 PM

the video shows it in there but i don,t know if it actually has it, call nitrohouse tomorrow and ask them if the truck comes with the humppack.but the size is perfect for a kid.