RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Glow plug ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/9747032-glow-plug.html)

amen 05-20-2010 11:28 AM

Glow plug ??

Just wondering wehter this is normal. I placed a novarossi med plug #4 in my hyper 7 with .21 eng, after about 3/4 tank plug went bad! I did notice plug was wet, therefore running rich. Does this sound normal??
thanx

breezerboat 05-20-2010 02:59 PM

RE: Glow plug ??

Is that plug supposed to work in the engine? buy plugs your manual says to use ask people what plugs are for your engine. Is is a turbo engine?

Sometimes plugs are duds. It's happened to me a couple times where a plug just didn't work right.

K_B 05-20-2010 03:00 PM

Plugs can last months or minutes. Try another one and if it goes bad right away, then you've got a problem somewhere. Like you said, it could be running too rich a fouling the plug...

jmaxey51 05-20-2010 03:13 PM

STAY AWAY FROM NOVA PLUGS!! they are junk, nova engines are one of the best but their plugs are no good. get an OS #8 plug, thats what i ran in mine and i would get almost 2 gallons on one plug.

RcGeEk NeVeR QuItS 05-20-2010 04:45 PM

Good Tip.I switched from rb plugs that lasted 1 1/2 gal.To nova and lasted 2 mins.

ORIGINAL: jmaxey511

STAY AWAY FROM NOVA PLUGS!! they are junk, nova engines are one of the best but their plugs are no good. get an OS #8 plug, thats what i ran in mine and i would get almost 2 gallons on one plug.

rpg711 05-21-2010 11:32 PM

Guys, running rich does nothing to your engine... Or i would have killed 8 expensive os turbo plugs breaking my gx5r in

jmaxey51 05-22-2010 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: rpg711

Guys, running rich does nothing to your engine... Or i would have killed 8 expensive os turbo plugs breaking my gx5r in
break-in is totally different but running the engine really rich at the track or yard WILL ruin plugs, it builds up fuel and wont get hot enough to run the engine anymore.
<br type="_moz" />

amen 05-26-2010 04:26 AM

ok, I got myself a OS med #8, and the car runs like a beauty!! Thanks for the input guys!!

Just one more question. After putting in the OS, I noticed that the plug was forming little brown spots on the bottom were the coil is (not on the coil) what is this/is this normal??
thanks

tommygun32 05-26-2010 07:50 AM

Exactly what engine are you running? If it's an OFNA engine, I believe these are PICCO based engines and should ideally use a PICCO plug.

I've read in a previous thread that some plugs' threads are not compatible with some engines' threads.

I.e: don't use an OS plug in a Jammin JPX .21 engine, use a PICCO plug. You have the possibility of stripping or re-threading the plug seat and won't be able to go back to PICCO plugs if you use the OS plugs.

Also, using the wrong make of plug in a different engine effects detonation due to how the plug sits into the button head. I have personally seen this, again with a PICCO plug versus and OS plug in two different JPX21 heads. The PICCO sits absolutely perfectly flush, while the OS goes a bit beyond flush into the chamber...noticably so. This will effect performance.

If you're just bashing and it works for you....I guess that's fine if you're happy. If you're racing and looking for every single edge you can find, using the right plug in the right engine is a must.

Good luck

amen 05-27-2010 02:47 AM

Its a hobao hyper .21 engine. It originally came with a fastrax plug (here in europe) Thanks for the info though!!

jmaxey51 05-27-2010 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: amen

ok, I got myself a OS med #8, and the car runs like a beauty!! Thanks for the input guys!!

Just one more question. After putting in the OS, I noticed that the plug was forming little brown spots on the bottom were the coil is (not on the coil) what is this/is this normal??
thanks
its a little rich, most of the time all engines will get that. but that engine will run best when it temps at 240-260, but i dont tune by temp i tune by smoke and just use a temp gun to back up my decision.
<br type="_moz" />