3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

I would'nt put transom blocks on or in. Make motor on rails for CG purposes, you have the room. Build as normal build but put metal rails in with lockdown where CG fits the bill.. Don't worry about rudder, pond is almost dry as are alot of them. 2 x 4 wouldn't float. LOL! Farmers here are cutting corn crop down to feed the cattle, pretty sad. No need to reply as you have your building plans and you know what else is coming. We can talk later, ok.- what i mean with motor on rails is the whole works, gas tank, wood for support; rudder with dimensions you've typed. Now with your knowledge and my dumbness ,you'll come out ok!!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM
dadkins

looks good Tim - it's been a while since I have visited RC U - The re-re- rebuild looks good - I like that the sponsons and stern have a flat ride plate to ride on verses the kinda point on the last one - should be much more stable.
Took mine out last weekend for a little rip - Added a larger air rudder and tweaked my motor sideways a little - It ran pretty good - fast to the point of air induced wheelies - ran through three tanks and only had to retrieve it once.
Take it easy. boat looks good !

Dave
Old 08-08-2012, 02:08 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

I would'nt put transom blocks on or in. Make motor on rails for CG purposes, you have the room. Build as normal build but put metal rails in with lockdown where CG fits the bill.. Don't worry about rudder, pond is almost dry as are alot of them. 2 x 4 wouldn't float. LOL! Farmers here are cutting corn crop down to feed the cattle, pretty sad. No need to reply as you have your building plans and you know what else is coming. We can talk later, ok.- what i mean with motor on rails is the whole works, gas tank, wood for support; rudder with dimensions you've typed. Now with your knowledge and my dumbness ,you'll come out ok!!
I actually was going to install a set of rails on the hull and slot them to be able to slide the engine back and forth to get the balance just right. I have 3 different engines I will try out on this new boat if it isnt too heavy at the end. I have a .29, a .30, and my beloved .46. The .30 is the lightest at 9oz w/o muffler, the .29 is just shy of 10oz and the .46 is roughly 12oz. Each of these will create the need for thrust line adjustment. My past experiences have been so-so when it comes to engine placement, and my original premise to drill 3 sets of holes to have a few options to try works okay, but ends up being a lot of extra work to get all of those holes to line up each time. So I'll do it differently for sure. This way, the entire engine stand can be moved. The fuel tank and control cable clamp will be a "set and forget" type of thing. Should be much easier to dial it in this way.

I'm building the hull with a normal transom as I did before, using the same 3/16" plywood as the top deck is made of, and the sponsons are 1/8" maple plywood. I will add a turn fin to the port sponson, and I think the 1/8" ply should hold that okay. I'll use a little silicone sealant behind the turn fin bracket to seal it and add a little extra holding power. Beyond this, I'm not getting real crazy with beefing the hull up. I will add some small chunks of balsa in a few spots in the tub and sponsons only for skin support. I am not going to fiberglass anything on this one except the bottom of the tub as this skin will be made from solid wood in several strips laminated together.

ORIGINAL: dadkins

looks good Tim - it's been a while since I have visited RC U - The re-re- rebuild looks good - I like that the sponsons and stern have a flat ride plate to ride on verses the kinda point on the last one - should be much more stable.
Took mine out last weekend for a little rip - Added a larger air rudder and tweaked my motor sideways a little - It ran pretty good - fast to the point of air induced wheelies - ran through three tanks and only had to retrieve it once.
Take it easy. boat looks good !

Dave
Good to see you around, Dave! Both the tub and sponsons do not have a flat ride pad, the rake is one continuous curve so really the riding surface will be a point. For a hydro to be successful, it needs to more-or-less "skip" across the waters' surface rather than ride just below it which is how the old hull ran. The new hull is longer and wider by 2" or slightly more, so this should increase stability as well as dropping the weight as much as I possibly can. I will use some small 48oz in. micro servos in this, and the lightest AA cells I can find. I am not building it as beefy as I would like just to save weight. If it folds up, well.. it folds up. I will wear my swim trunks when I go to test it, just in case I need to swim after it. My test pond is 10 feet deep or less, so it cant go far.

Good to hear your boat is running well. I'm hoping we can get together one more time before summer is over to do a little boating. It would be nice if I can get this boat done so I can test it out and I'll bring my minikaze rocket with me now that I've tweaked the snot out of it..
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Just a picture I took in comparing the two size-wise. Not a huge difference, but I'm hoping 2" wider and longer will do the trick.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

More progress...
Engine Stand:

Radio box and Engine stand mocked up:

I will cut slots in the aluminum brackets to allow the engine mount to move back and forth to adjust CG, but just squaring everything up and getting holes drilled. Radio box is epoxied to the hull now, just need to finish trimming the top of the radio box and get the cables routed. Moving along well..
Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Smooth is the answer and very sharp!!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Smooth is the answer and very sharp!!
Thank you! I have the sponsons epoxied onto the hull now, but no picture of that yet. This is one I'm not putting a lot of personal touch into. Trying to keep it basic and hopefully light enough to float first time out. The goal is 3lbs RTR....

More pictures to come..
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Here's where the hull is at right now. The radio box needs to get glued on, and I need to glue the tub to the deck. Run the cables and glue in place, and skin bracing & skin. I think I'm going to fiberglass the inside of the tub to the deck... Got a few things to figure out yet.. should have more done by the end of the week. Hoping to have it RTR in a week for testing.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM

What fills the sponsons- air or foam or balsa, since your going to seal the whole works?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

What fills the sponsons- air or foam or balsa, since your going to seal the whole works?
Just good old air. It will all get a couple coats of epoxy resin to seal it really good and my secret recipe topcoat to make it super slippery.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Engine stand finished..

Hull all glassed up.

She's gaining weight like a mad banshee. Hull as pictured above is 1 pound 14oz. The engine and muffler is 14oz, and the remaining hardware and electronics will add another 6-10oz.. Overshooting my weight goal by a little bit.. I'm hoping I can shave some weight somewhere..
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Control cables are glued in,

Sponsons,

Skin is done on the tub and sponsons...

Getting close now...
Old 08-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Ozpulse

SWEEEEEEEEET, mate!
The anticipation of the first run vids is killing me!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM

Too me. Smooth and workmanship shows.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks guys..

American Black Cherry "nose" caps glued on the sponsons and front of the radio box/center tub..

I ran into a slight adhesion problem with the 1/8" plywood I used for the sponson sides, so I had to repair that spot before I can seal the bottom with resin. In light of the possible risk of more peeling epoxy, I'm going to use 3/4oz cloth and glass the sponson bottom/sides, and for good measure, the center tub as well. The resin alone is probably enough to keep it in place, but I'm gonna make double sure. Hoping to get glass and 2 coats of resin on and cured tomorrow so there's a chance I can maybe test run it on Sunday. I have a new pond nearby that is nice and open all the way around, so I might do my test runs of this boat on that pond.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The resin set up too fast to get the cloth down on the first coat, so I'll lay the cloth in on the next coat. Looks pretty sweet so far..

I'm working on the rudder for this boat, going kind of basic on this one. Will have pics of the rudder later..
Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I took part of the afternoon off from working on this thing to go run my Minikaze a little bit.. I did get a coat of resin on the top of the hull/deck. It still needs another coat of resin on top and then I'll work on assembling the rest of the boat.

The 50+ year old maple plywood has some really nice color to it.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Its now RTR, but at 4lbs...[:@][:'(] But it balances perfectly, and I think it will run out okay.... hopefully..

If its not raining tomorrow morning, I'll do a maiden run. It rained all afternoon today, so no trip to the pond. I had to shift the engine forward a little more than I originally anticipated because I originally balanced it out with a 7oz fuel tank. I replaced the 7oz with a 4oz tank which should give me about 10-12 minutes of runtime at WOT.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

A few more pictures..

Engine and elephant muffler (Enya ss30 with TT .46 muffler/custom adapter)

Inside the radio box

And the rudder.. Another one of my homemade rudder assemblies, though I robbed the blade and pivot from the Minikaze for testing purposes. This blade is probably too long anyway.

Maiden video (though of crappy quality) will come soon...
Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

The boat is still untested... been super busy at work so no time to sneak off to the park. I got impatient and had to see if it floated. It does! Though I didnt have fuel in the tank (4oz), I doubt it will make much difference. Now to get a maiden run in the books (and a video too)....

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Maiden run of my SI3 Copy. 9x7 APC prop, 5/25 fuel, and a light breeze.
http://youtu.be/159nQIeeMys
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
carlosam

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Maiden run of my SI3 Copy. 9x7 APC prop, 5/25 fuel, and a light breeze.
http://youtu.be/159nQIeeMys
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=159nQIeeMys[/youtube]

You should be proud. Nice job!
which the length of it?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

16" wide and 22" long. RTR weight is 4lbs. I'm still grinning. LoL.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 AM

You should GRIN, ran great!!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM
dadkins

Very nice - shes scootin along pretty good !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.