RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Re - rebuild

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Re - rebuild

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Hi Dadkins,

what did you end up using for filler on the hull ?

She looks very nice with that clear coat. did you spray ?

I ended up using PVA mixed with sawdust for filler - I brushed on the varnish finish- scrape it off with a scraper or razor blade on the bottom - then 320 sand, 400 sand and probably stop at 600
Instead of sanding it to 600 grit, why not just use a Satin or Matte finish? I use commercial waterborne hardwood floor finish in a Satin or Matte and it dries slipperier than mad. I could get you some if you want.

The hull does look really nice. I'm eager to see what she'll do. If she handles your .40 well, maybe you might need to get a .46 with a pipe...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:23 AM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dadkins,
Here's a nice tip you might find helpful...next time you find the need to scrape a finish, take a piece of
window glass and break it, chose a piece of the broken glass with a flat or contoured shape that suits
your need and scrape the finish with it...you'll find that it will peel and curl the finish (old or new) completely
off. I've been using this method for years with gun stocks, window muttens, furniture refinishing...etc.

I hope you find this method helpful.
Roger
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: oldfrog

dadkins,
Here's a nice tip you might find helpful...next time you find the need to scrape a finish, take a piece of
window glass and break it, chose a piece of the broken glass with a flat or contoured shape that suits
your need and scrape the finish with it...you'll find that it will peel and curl the finish (old or new) completely
off. I've been using this method for years with gun stocks, window muttens, furniture refinishing...etc.

I hope you find this method helpful.
Roger
I'm a little lost with scraping fresh finish off. When I do finishing on a wood hulled boat, I put at least 8-10 coats of my hardwood floor finish on top of a layer of epoxy and/or fiberglass. I would want as much water sealing protection as possible. Now if you are talking about runs and drips underneath, I run a strip of masking tape along the bottom edge where I dont want resin or finish and after the resin or finish sets up good but not solid I pull the tape off. Any runs or drips are on the tape and come off with it.

I use wood floor finish because its readily available to me and its a lot harder and chemically resistant than anything you can buy at the big box joints.

I will say that gives me a tip I will use on some furniture I'll be restoring later this year. Thanks for the tip, Roger!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 AM
dadkins

Old frog - I have done that before refinishing a shotgun and air rifle stock - my father taught me that one. used to bust up a mason jar and find the right contour egde for what shape area your working on - fantastic results. I use a Standard woodworking scraper but have a hard time getting it sharp enough for the varnish - starts skipping... no good - I have however had good luck with a NEW razor blade and rythmicly going at 45 degree angles across the bottom feels pretty flat/slippery - definetly more slippery than unsanded/unscraped.
Tim I like the tip with the tape under your hard edge, I have had some drippage. That all sounds bad
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Old frog - I have done that before refinishing a shotgun and air rifle stock - my father taught me that one. used to bust up a mason jar and find the right contour egde for what shape area your working on - fantastic results. I use a Standard woodworking scraper but have a hard time getting it sharp enough for the varnish - starts skipping... no good - I have however had good luck with a NEW razor blade and rythmicly going at 45 degree angles across the bottom feels pretty flat/slippery - definetly more slippery than unsanded/unscraped.
Tim I like the tip with the tape under your hard edge, I have had some drippage. That all sounds bad
Dave - you need a good sharp bast-ard file. (Why they call them bast-ard (it filtered the word into *'s) files are beyond me) We use them at work to sharpen our paint scrapers (which we use on wood floors, not paint). You can get 'em sharp enough to cut your finger off. Then you might be able to scrape your drips off w/o getting the dreaded scraper chatter.

Blue masking tape is my friend. Its not cheap, but for what I use it for... well... it save my behind when I run out of weight and I need to hold skin down on the rake angle. I go through 2 rolls per boat, but in the end... its worth it IMO.

I'm one step closer to a maiden voyage... how about you? any new pics?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Altered1

, I have had some drippage. That all sounds bad
LOL nice one! I too, would like to see an update !

Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 AM
dadkins

Sorry Gentelmen - no new pictures to show you- I did however take er for a shakedown cruise in my yard (big mistake) - there was a small patch of snow about 30' x 40' with... a few obstacles near. Sure enough I caught a corner of the paver patio - took a little chunk out of the back (
- since then I have spliced in a filler piece and ground er flat and put a little more finish on - I just couldnt wait for a nice fresh snowfall - this time I will be a little more patient.
Pictures tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Sorry Gentelmen - no new pictures to show you- I did however take er for a shakedown cruise in my yard (big mistake) - there was a small patch of snow about 30' x 40' with... a few obstacles near. Sure enough I caught a corner of the paver patio - took a little chunk out of the back (
- since then I have spliced in a filler piece and ground er flat and put a little more finish on - I just couldnt wait for a nice fresh snowfall - this time I will be a little more patient.
Pictures tomorrow.
Airboat - 0, paver block - 1. [:'(]

Thats super cool you got to test yours out. I just finished skinning mine the other day. Been too busy to get new pics up. I got new pics up now though.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
dadkins

Ok - here is a little more progress - Radio Box sealed servo wires wrapped / sealed. Chunk out of the stern filler sanded sealed and varnished already a few battle scars from running the dry grass - someday it might snow in Minnesota - then we will see what we have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80618.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1724998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37194.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1724999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63445.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1725000  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
dadkins

Couple more of the engine stand/servos.

Name:	Om34518.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1725001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19322.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1725002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14444.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1725003  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Looks good, my friend. I think we might have a race in our future?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM
dadkins

You got it man. It may not be too long before we have liquid to run on - this has been the weirdest winter - wish it would snow a little...
don't wanna have to take er out on the rocks/ice/lawn/pavers/...again.

Tried the look with the tapes stripes...hated it. looks better with two uneven scars !

Name:	Tr50177.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1726467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35110.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1726468  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
dadkins

OK - so it snowed ...a little. and I am going to take er out on my lunch break and see what it will do in the really heavy wet snow.
Weight with a full tank 5 Lb 8 oz RTR. Which is right about where I thought it would be.
I will try and give a report this afternoon on how she did.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM
dadkins

Ohh one last thing - latest little cedar plane - while waiting for it to snow!
Cessna 165 Airmaster.
Just can't stop myself from makin these things - my office looks like a hanger!

Name:	Fd92872.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1729970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57501.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1729971  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ohh one last thing - latest little cedar plane - while waiting for it to snow!
Cessna 165 Airmaster.
Just can't stop myself from makin these things - my office looks like a hanger!
Ya know Dave.... The only thing left to do is build an R/C Plane! LoL. I'm going to build a SIG Kadet LT-40 for a trainer.

Good luck on the snow. Its some sticky stuff!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
dadkins

Ok - as promissed - Snow run report - 1 word - SLIPPERY ! not the wet sticky snow I was expecting, It was scarry building up a little speed cus it takes a LONG ways to slow down and kind of catchy to try and power slide so it was usually off throttle fish tails with the rudder to slow down a little then hold the rudder one way and give small busts to try and slow a little - rolled it twice - loosened up my prop cage - ran it 20 feet ito the woods on one overrun... Yikes. Overall very promising even ddi an couple speed wheelies (near blow overs)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
dadkins

Hey Tim,
My first airboat started as a plane...a trainer...My neighbor Pile drivered it in for a landing and said you want it?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Hey Tim,
My first airboat started as a plane...a trainer...My neighbor Pile drivered it in for a landing and said you want it?
LoL... Nice...

Soccer fields work pretty good for running the airboats on snow. Its mostly flat and the grass is kept short so they're usually pretty smooth. Hitting hard objects sucks bad since there's no brakes.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM
dadkins

So I had a little free time Saturday - decided to see what she would do out on the lake - This was a lot flatter than the field I tried the other day almost a snow crust - VERY VERY slippery. Started out good a few pretty high speed passes - nice thing about running on a frozen lake is you can do passes within a couple feet of your feet and REALLY get a sence of the speed - trust me it was going pretty fast once again.NO Brakes even the rudder flutter didn't do much as it would just cock sideways and keep going straight -unluss you add a bunch of throttle - that is where the problems started. Seems to go straight line pretty dang fast w/o blowover -but when its cocked it catches a bit more air - next thingyou know its a double back flip follow by a front flip when it hit. Lost the prop cage on that one. Fired right back up and thinking I would be a bit more cautious now got into pretty much the same situation and thsi time it tok the rudders off so my day was done. As you can see I had lots of gas left and didn't make it last as long as I had hoped.
FUN anyways !

Name:	Ec90023.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1732874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37612.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1732875  
Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Altered1

That's a full tank !    Go Hard or Go Home !   
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM
dadkins

Update: Rebuilt the rudders using the same plastic hinge pins as prevoius and after these break I will find something better - they tend to bind a little even though I was real carefull to line em up - that and a little glue in there = STICKY. Making my servo work harder than it has to. I will try to replace them with some kind of aluminum piano hinge if I can find it. Speaking of rudders - I will maybe remove the wood fixed portion as it tends to weathercock into the wind in a stiff breeze.
rebuilt the prop cage added some t's to the bottom to make for a larger mounting surface.
Ran it on the soccer field and only had one blow over and SEVERAL scary close calls with the fences- got thru a whole tank without destroying it - so thats a bunus !

Name:	Ca81011.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1735676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47420.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1735677  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

That prop hoop looks beefy now. How heavy is your boat now? Mine came out to 5lbs even but I like to live on the edge and used the prop cage delete option. =D

Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
dadkins

I ended up 5 lb 8 1/2 oz with a full tank of gas. not bad. I feel like the durability is there too -could probably jump as high as i could and stomp on it and not hurt it - I have actually layed on it picturing what it would be like to use is as a knee board /boogie board - not big enough - but I'm thinking about building a tow behind surf board for watersporting with the same tecnique.
Going on a ski trip to Colorado Friday for a week and maybe when I get back the lakes will be ice out.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I ended up 5 lb 8 1/2 oz with a full tank of gas. not bad. I feel like the durability is there too -could probably jump as high as i could and stomp on it and not hurt it - I have actually layed on it picturing what it would be like to use is as a knee board /boogie board - not big enough - but I'm thinking about building a tow behind surf board for watersporting with the same tecnique.
Going on a ski trip to Colorado Friday for a week and maybe when I get back the lakes will be ice out.
Well, if I dont chat with ya beforehand, have fun in Colorado. I'm hoping to get my Super Tigre .29 ran a little Sunday morning. I might run to the park and break it in so its ready for a maiden when the lakes do thaw. With these crazy temperatures, I wouldnt be surprised if the smaller lakes ice-out a month early.

My buddy thats deployed to Kuwait comes back in a little less than 2 months. He bought a v-hull brushless boat while home for Thanksgiving and might tag along sometime this summer for some boating fun..

Looking forward to the summer. I'm gonna have to dig out my little inflatable raft and find a paddle.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM
dadkins

I saw a couple lakes yesterday that had 10' of exposed water around the peremiter - It can't be long if it stays this warm.
Hopefully it will be WINTER in Colorado.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.