Re - rebuild

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Re - rebuild

Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
dadkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re - rebuild

Gonna take her out at noon today and see if the adjustments helped - I moved the motor back about 3/4" to try and stop the spin outs when trying to get up to speed and free'd up the rudders a little more - less binding beter return to neutral.
So Ya well see.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM
dadkins

The latest. Piper Pa22 Tri Pacer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81446.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1749416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85912.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1749417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29951.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1749418  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So how'd the run go this time, Dave?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 AM
dadkins

Bad. I should say...It didn't happen - forgot my battery pack at home. Found a killer spot at Bush Lake Beach to run, kind of a penninsula to stand on with lots of shallow beach on all sides - should something go horribly wrong...No retrieval boat with me.
Today. We shall burn some nitro...if the weather co-operates.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Bad. I should say...It didn't happen - forgot my battery pack at home. Found a killer spot at Bush Lake Beach to run, kind of a penninsula to stand on with lots of shallow beach on all sides - should something go horribly wrong...No retrieval boat with me.
Today. We shall burn some nitro...if the weather co-operates.
Let me know how it goes.. I'm kinda stuck at home for awhile. I have been trying to get the heater core replaced in my truck for the last few days but either the weather or my work schedule wasn't giving me enough daylight to get anything done, and then I had some medical tests on Wednesday that wiped me out Wed-Thurs. Yuck. I still feel like crap but I could do something constructive now. If the rain lets out for a few hours I could get a lot of it done. I have to pull the A/C system apart at the same time..

Good luck today. If we get some decent weather over the weekend, I'll try to get out and run a little if my truck gets done or mostly done. I can drive the Wife's car but I dont want to risk spilling fuel or oil in her new car. She wouldn't be very happy smelling castor oil for the next month. LoL.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
dadkins

Sorry to hear your under the weather - and your truck problems... Hope You feel better soon and get that boat out for more testing.

It is looking a little bleak for the noon run - may have to wait till after work?
Anyway take care - I'll post results if I end up going at noon.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Sorry to hear your under the weather - and your truck problems... Hope You feel better soon and get that boat out for more testing.

It is looking a little bleak for the noon run - may have to wait till after work?
Anyway take care - I'll post results if I end up going at noon.
Sweet!

I'm doing pretty well today. Wont need to have that test done for a long time so its clear sailing for awhile. The truck.. well... Hope you never have to change a heater core on a vehicle with A/C. its a nightmare. About a $1000 job at a shop.

The good sides of this is a) no more antifreeze on my floor and b) my A/C wont leak anymore and blow COLD air! It sucks doing the work, but the payoff will be huge. No more foggy windows.

Ack.. I'm done ranting..
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM
dadkins

I helped a buddy do mine in my Chrysler van - what a PITA - complete dash cover removal - But... Nice having heat and a/c.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I helped a buddy do mine in my Chrysler van - what a PITA - complete dash cover removal - But... Nice having heat and a/c.
Yeah, I'm too lazy to disconnect the wiring to the steering column so I had the dash suspended from the roof with a couple ratchet straps. I need to disconnect the Accumulator from the airbox and the airbox will come out. I just cant get out there to work on it if its raining... :/

By the way.. My finger still hurts from that day I got smoked by the prop. haha.. I was a dumbass..

Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
dadkins

Ok - here is the post run report - not good ! It was a little windy i noticed as i was idling out a HUGE gust flipped it - then there were the whitecaps... in all, flipped three times. Fortunately the wind was strong enough to blow it back to shore. Did some grass running and saw some decent speed once it breaks free it slides pretty good.
As always - still fun !
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
dadkins

Ok - Recently did some moifications and heve re branded it the 10000 lakes special.
I was having a Lot of trouble with it fishtailing out of the hole and sliding/loose at speed so I added a skeg 1/4 tall at the back and about 6" long, attached with hot glue for easy removal. Also, I was having trouble on high speed power slide turns of the front corner catching wind and flipping so I added the little winglets...made out of... Tim will know. hot glued on and easy to shape in the field
added a HONKIN aluminum rudder. got rid of the duals
See next post for ride report

Name:	Yw68600.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	1774202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61058.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1774203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35250.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1774204  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM
dadkins

It looks a little cobbled together - but my theories are proving to be working. The skeg INSTANTLY cured the fish tail - so much so I am thinking about making one half the size - still allows grass and sand running as well as some ability to slide - could use a little more slidability, the winglets did not allow it to flip even coming into the wind - may have slowed it ever so slightly - not as much as the skeg... don't get me wrong it is still pretty fast - just MUCH more controlled.
the only real problem I was having was prop torque or my skeg being a little crooked made me use a LOT of right rudder to keep it straight when pinned.

Name:	Ki17991.jpg
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	1774218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90551.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1774219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53213.jpg
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	1774220  
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I see where the 10,000 lakes special comes from.. Clever!

If you want the ultimate in control, try a wet rudder. You might be able to drag race me without flipping... I got a surprise the next time we run in water.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM
dadkins

I can't wait. I have some time off coming up after the 4th of July - hope to dial er in at the lake on the weekend before the 4th.

Tim, I hear you on the water rudder - but I am not ready to give up on the air rudder yet- too many weeds near where I run and I like the slide...and to be able to beach it /grass running.not yet. you would be amazed at the difference in control from when we ran last.
But still not quite where I want it.
cant wait to see what you have in store.
Take a look at your calander. See Ya Dave

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'll take a look at what I got going over the next few weeks and see if we can get together to run the boats.

You've seen my minikaze with the .29, now you'll get to see it with my TT .46 on it. She's a real beast with the .46 on it. We might need your kayak again...

I got a really nice small pond by my house that is about perfect for our boats.

I look forward to seeing the progress on your boat.