Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

super tigre 27re alligator tours tuning

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
abrom1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super tigre 27re alligator tours tuning

ive gotten the alligator tours airboat and was wondering with the glow plug supplied it seems to be difficult to get to a leaner condition, have the lsn at a little less than a turn and the high speed at 2 turns compared to the factory set at 2 1/2 turn on the high needle . motor still seems fat and the glow plug has never tinted yet . i do live at about sea level . is it a glow plug supplied for safe tuning and not for optimum performance and throttle response for safe practice? has anyone gotten this boat also with the 27re?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: super tigre 27re alligator tours tuning

ORIGINAL: abrom1

ive gotten the alligator tours airboat and was wondering with the glow plug supplied it seems to be difficult to get to a leaner condition, have the lsn at a little less than a turn and the high speed at 2 turns compared to the factory set at 2 1/2 turn on the high needle . motor still seems fat and the glow plug has never tinted yet . i do live at about sea level . is it a glow plug supplied for safe tuning and not for optimum performance and throttle response for safe practice? has anyone gotten this boat also with the 27re?
That engine is basically an RC car engine with an airplane prop on it. Tuning those kinds of engines is a little trickier, but not hard to do. First off, did you break the engine in properly? If not, do so first as the engine will needle better once its got some runtime on it. 2-3 tanks of fuel at WOT slightly rich will do the trick. As for the glow plug, it will not control how rich or lean you tune the engine to a point. If you're using the proper airplane fuel with 5-10% nitro and 20% oil, it should run well enough. Super Tigre glow plugs are not known to work real well, so getting some extras of another brand isn't a bad idea. Besides, Break-in is tough on glow plugs and oftentimes needs replacement after break-in is done. McCoy MC59, Enya #3, OS A3 plugs all work well and are hot heat range. Super Tigre engines tend to like hotter plugs. Once you have the proper fuel, glow plugs, and the engine is broke in sufficiently, set the needles on the carb like this: Ignore how many turns the needles are set, this number is irrelevant. Open the main needle (high speed) 1/2 turn from wherever it is currently, and start the engine. It will be rich. Run to WOT and let run for 30sec-1min to warm up. Now lean the main needle down until its "just" running in a clean two-cycle smooth run. Pinch the fuel line to the carb momentarilyabout 1-1.5" from the carb. The RPM should go up enough to hear. If it goes up a lot, turn the main needle in 1/16th of a turn until the rpm only goes up a little bit when you pinch the line. If you pinch the line and the rpm doesnt change or cuts out, its too lean and open the main needle 1/8th turn and try again. The idea is the engine runs slightly rich at a full tank and about perfect at half tank. The idle needle gets set for a good transition from idle to WOT. Most Supertigre ABC engines like to idle 2,700rpm-3,000rpm. Too low or too high idle rpm will be harder to get the idle needle set. Its always better to start off rich and lean it off. I lean my idle mixture down until a quick full throttle jab of the throttle makes the engine cut out slightly, then richen about 1/16th turn. Richen the idle needle until you get a quick throttle response from idle to WOT. If it loads up at idle and runs rough and smokey when going from idle to WOT, its too rich. Cutting out and/or quitting is too lean.

This may seem like a lot, but its what I would tell anyone thats never used one of these engines before. If you've ran RC Cars in the past, you have a jump start on tuning.. Engines with air props are very very easy to set, if you do it in the right order. Always tune the high speed needle first, with the idle mixture second.

Hope this helps you.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
abrom1

Thanks 10wk.....its been about 5yr since ive owned a glow ops 90 and ive found it much easier to tune but this is my first airboat , that's alot of info greatly appreciated. it does have about 5 tanks run through it richly. i figure its time to start leaning a bit. ill give it a shot tonite. my backyard is a bayou and have always had rc boats in the last 9 yr. to play with but this yr the grass and weeds have taken over and given me trouble to run any of my boats so most of the last yr they have been on the shelf and thats why ive gotten the airboat to solve that problem. again thanks for your time

Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks 10wk.....its been about 5yr since ive owned a glow ops 90 and ive found it much easier to tune but this is my first airboat , that's alot of info greatly appreciated. it does have about 5 tanks run through it richly. i figure its time to start leaning a bit. ill give it a shot tonite. my backyard is a bayou and have always had rc boats in the last 9 yr. to play with but this yr the grass and weeds have taken over and given me trouble to run any of my boats so most of the last yr they have been on the shelf and thats why ive gotten the airboat to solve that problem. again thanks for your time

The best thing to do since the engine is still pretty new is fire it up and run it up to WOT and get it warmed up. Lean the needle down in 1/16th turn increments and listen to the engine. If you lean it and the rpm sags a little, richen it back up. The engine is considered broke in when it takes a lean setting without sagging. ABC engines shouldn't be run real rich because they do not heat up enough. Keep the nitro low, 5-10% max, and just slightly rich on the top end and it should run well for you. I now have 3 SuperTigres and I love 'em.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM
abrom1

sounds alot better. hsn is about where i had it at 2 turn the lsn leaned on it a little more and it taken the bog out of it and has a snappier throttle response and don't blow oil clean across my shop.....ill richen it a lil bit to be on safe side. building a lil heat in the motor and finally glow plug has a tan color appearing so it'll be fine. sound great and it'll move the yard with a little push start and swear it has wheels on it afterwards. now i need to get home from work so i can put it in the bayou.... i think alot of the problem was trying to tune a cool motor it just wouldn't build enuff heat
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

sounds alot better. hsn is about where i had it at 2 turn the lsn leaned on it a little more and it taken the bog out of it and has a snappier throttle response and don't blow oil clean across my shop.....ill richen it a lil bit to be on safe side. building a lil heat in the motor and finally glow plug has a tan color appearing so it'll be fine. sound great and it'll move the yard with a little push start and swear it has wheels on it afterwards. now i need to get home from work so i can put it in the bayou.... i think alot of the problem was trying to tune a cool motor it just wouldn't build enuff heat
You're using airplane fuel with 18-20% oil content, right? You want a little oil spitting from the exhaust even idling.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing on the crank inlet port is advanced more than most engines using an airplane prop. You would benefit using a smaller prop on the engine with more pitch, to get in the engines RPM "sweet spot" let it wind up.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: controlliner

The timing on the crank inlet port is advanced more than most engines using an airplane prop. You would benefit using a smaller prop on the engine with more pitch, to get in the engines RPM ''sweet spot'' let it wind up.
This boat comes with a 9x7 APC pusher prop I believe. As I recall from another forum, this .27 is timed like a car engine. High exhaust timing and aggressive intake and transfer timing, so it should rev. It is probably lugged down with a 9x7 prop though. I'll have to find the link when I get off work.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM
abrom1

9x6 comes with it....its fine now , stays running well, no bogs ......heck im going play now!