RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

BSB questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BSB questions

I just got my BSB running. I put a 55 AX on it and as far as power it is fine. Being able to handle that power is a big problem. It didn't handle well at all with just the air rudder and I don't run in any shallow water or on snow so I decided to try a water rudder. I put a small water rudder on it that doesn't contact the water unles it is at slow speeds. Reason is it didn't turn well at all at slow speeds. Almost no turn at all at idle. Well the water rudder helped alot. I was able to manuever better at the slower speeds but at higher speeds it wants to fly! That's cool but the landings ain't so great. Now I will say this. I don't want a whole lot of speed out of this boat. I have a Tempest with a O.S. 40FP that runs and handles real good. Not terrible fast, probably 20-25, and I would like to get this BSB to run about the same so me and my son can play Nascar on the water. What I am thinking of is to do away with the air rudder all together and to put a bigger water rudder on it. Which brings up more questions. Where should I put this rudder. I have a tunnel hull with a .81 that does pretty well and the rudder is on the right. Being as the BSB is actually a tunnel should I go to the right? I will try to put a couple of pics up so ypu can see what I have done and the rudder I want to use. I think the water rudder will give me just enough drag on the rear of the boat to keep the nose down. Sorry for my non-boaters terms. I should have said port, starboard and transom. Any-way, what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83913.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1871017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72907.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1871018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86359.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1871019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21538.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1871020  
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM
James c harrell

Default RE: BSB questions

Forgot to ask you guys about the leaning thing this thing likes to do. With or without the water ruddeer, more with-out, it likes to lean over pretty bad at slower speeds when I turn. I am thinking maybe the bigger water rudder will help?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM
rcairboater

I'm not a fan of water rudders on a airboat.
Take a look here...rcairboats.net
Old 04-15-2013, 05:17 AM
dadkins

Nice set up. The reason for the idle speed handling being poor is not much wind is being created to push the rudders. goose it with short busts to change direction. The leaning you talk about - thats a lot of motor up high...try and get it as low as possible -maybe a smaller 3 blade prop. smaller tank? I like the water rudder /air rudder combo and the linkage to your air rudders is very creative maybe cut down the tops of the air rudders as well if you are running both and get a break away pin on the water rudder in case you hit something solid it wont rip the back of your transom off.
Nice prop cage too... again though... weight up top and not really neccessary for water most of the time...saving fingers maybe.
anyways. Theres my 2 cents.
Have fun with it !
Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 AM
James c harrell

Well I put the longer water rudder on it and removed the air rudder all together. I left the hinge mount on the motor mount so I can go back if I want but I don't think I will. Major improvement. It handles real good except for a nasty bounce that will lead to a flip if I hold it open too long. 3/4 throttle is pretty sweet and it is still running faster than the tempest at 3/4. Yea, we had to race them. I think a set of trims on the back will stop the bounce. The lean is completely gone and actually reversed. It leans into the corner instead of out of it. I think I need a flat bottom for a air rudder. Next project maybe. For now I think I shall try a AX 46 on the tempest so it can keep up.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 AM
dadkins

Good to hear. Ya I had trims tabs on mine that helped a little.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
James c harrell

Not sure if it made a difference but I took the prop cage off last run too. I love these things. I take them when my Son and Dad and I go fishing. If the fish ain't biting I run my boat.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 AM
dadkins

well at least your able to... all the lakes are still frozed over here, and it is still threatening to snow Wednesday/Thursday!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
dadkins

My BSB before I gave her a new home. Complete with plexi filler to make it a flatbottom. And My son giving an extra weird look...
and trim tabs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35469.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1872429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63424.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1872430  
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Wet rudders are THE way to go if you want any sort of control at speed. Personally, I use wet rudders exclusively. Most of my boats use a 2.5-3" blade that stays wet at all times. This makes my boats turn like they're on rails.

Try running an airboat over 40mph with air rudders only once... It'll be the last time I bet.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM
James c harrell

Man I put me a set of tabs on it with the water rudder and she handle like a doll. I rode down the river for a mile wide open with my BSB 3 ft off the side of my Bass boat, Son driving the Bass boat, just to see how it was riding and it was stable and sitting nice in the water. Turned around into the wind and it got a little light but never flipped or bounced. I am a happy fella!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM
dadkins

Sounds like your getting it dialed in. Bring a gps with next time to test the speed.Ohhh and a passenger in the bass boat with a video camera.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM
James c harrell

I used a GPS on my Bass boat and it was running 36 wide open and it keeps up with the BSB at about 3/4 throttle so I am guessing about 25-30. Camera and GPS will be on the next trip.