Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Stupid Air Rudder Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Rudder Question

Hi all again. I just have quick little stupid question regarding hooking up the air rudders on my airboat. The question is where does the control horn mount on it? I am normally an airplane guy and in that application, the holes of the control horns are in line with the gap of the control surface. Would this also be true as on an airboat? Thank you.

Last edited by NEW222; 06-17-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM
NEW222

Ok, so I snapped quick picture of my rear rudder set-up also to make sure it would be ok. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	airboat rudders.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	2168081  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:07 PM
NEW222

Is it best for the rudders to be parallel to each other ( I I ), both toed out slightly( / \ ), or both toed in slightly ( \ / )?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Have the rudder blades parallel, operate linearly, and have the control rod pivot points on the rod connecting the two blades as close to the rudder blades as possible. This helps the linear movement part and gets you the most throw.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 PM
NEW222

Thank you. Will be fixing that up shortly.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:01 PM
NEW222

Ok. So the boat is all finished and I have only two remaining questions. When I push the rudder stick to one side, then the other, there is a difference of 1/4" measured. Would this be due to the control horn mounted on one rudder only?
Next, and hopefully last question. This is regarding receivers. I plan on keeping the airboat at no more than 200 feet away and was wondering if I could use a short range receiver designed with 150 M / 500 ft range in my boat?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:49 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NEW222
Ok. So the boat is all finished and I have only two remaining questions. When I push the rudder stick to one side, then the other, there is a difference of 1/4" measured. Would this be due to the control horn mounted on one rudder only?
Next, and hopefully last question. This is regarding receivers. I plan on keeping the airboat at no more than 200 feet away and was wondering if I could use a short range receiver designed with 150 M / 500 ft range in my boat?
Do you mean you get a 1/4" more travel one way versus the other? If so, adjust your end points in the radio.

As as for the range - I would install the intended receiver and test the range on land and walk the longest possible distance you'd allow the boat to go, then go another 50 feet. Test the controls and if it still has good range, try it on water. Depending on which frequency you're using, you may encounter trouble at longer distances because the radio signal can bounce off waves and even on smooth water, the water's surface itself. Most often you shouldn't have any issues though.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:06 PM
NEW222

Yes, I get 1/4" more in one direction over the other. I will have to look at endpoint adjustment and how to do it, as it is an older FM non-computerized radio. Thank you for answering my questions.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 PM
NEW222

Ok. Just checked and my radio does not have endpoint adjustments. But after a quick read, I would believe that it is due to my rudder control horn not being on the center of the hinge line. This was due to the place where the hinge mounts, and me epoxying the control rod tube in place very securely. I will just have to run it as it is, and will most definitely consider this a building LESSON. I will remember this for the next one. I am sure it will be fine as it is, just that it will turn better in one direction over the other. At least that is what I am now telling myself. If not, I will cut back into it and adjust if necessary. Thank you again for the help. I am also thinking if it does not go well, I could install my Spektrum radio and then I will have adjustable endpoints.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder linkage (1).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	2168422   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder linkage (2).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	2168423