First Airboat Water Test.....

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

First Airboat Water Test.....

Old 06-23-2016, 06:09 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Airboat Water Test.....

Ok, so it sounds dramatic, but really isn't. Today I put my first airboat into the tub for a water test. I kind of just thought it would be a good idea. So, I filled the tub then carefully put it in. It sat there relatively nice and level. Waited a few minutes then checked the radio compartment and it was dry. That is when it happened. I gave it a very light 'push' forward and it seemed to glide in the water very nicely and effortlessly. Now I am worried about the engine. I think this thing will haul butt, based on the effort required in the previous 'push'. I will not have a chance to run it this weekend t the lake as I do not have a support boat ready, but will probably give it a run next week in the back yard anyways. Worst case is next weekend to put it in the water and am excited. Anyways, thanks for the help along the way and will try to get video when it is running.

P.S. As for my hatch, I have a piece of lexan with foam tape around the edge. Would it be best to add a strip of electrical tape around the edges as extra security? I do not have clear hockey tape.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:29 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NEW222
Ok, so it sounds dramatic, but really isn't. Today I put my first airboat into the tub for a water test. I kind of just thought it would be a good idea. So, I filled the tub then carefully put it in. It sat there relatively nice and level. Waited a few minutes then checked the radio compartment and it was dry. That is when it happened. I gave it a very light 'push' forward and it seemed to glide in the water very nicely and effortlessly. Now I am worried about the engine. I think this thing will haul butt, based on the effort required in the previous 'push'. I will not have a chance to run it this weekend t the lake as I do not have a support boat ready, but will probably give it a run next week in the back yard anyways. Worst case is next weekend to put it in the water and am excited. Anyways, thanks for the help along the way and will try to get video when it is running.

P.S. As for my hatch, I have a piece of lexan with foam tape around the edge. Would it be best to add a strip of electrical tape around the edges as extra security? I do not have clear hockey tape.
You may be surprised how things go on your maiden. Pushing the hull by hand is a bit different than the air screw propelling the boat. Unless you pushed it or pulled it by the prop. The prop acts kinda like a lever. IT is the thrust force, so if the balance isn't right, it may be faster than all get out but flip easier than a gymnast. It could also want to drive itself to a watery grave under power. Where I'm going here is.... Just in case - be ready to make modifications/changes. Ideally, you want it to run smooth and not porpoise, and not flip immediately after dropping the throttle m m
Old 06-23-2016, 08:02 PM
NEW222

I am and will heed your advice. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:07 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by NEW222
I am and will heed your advice. Thank you.
I was half asleep when I posted that - I should have added - it sounds promising... Bring a fishing pole or canoe with ya.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:07 PM
NEW222

Ok. Just a little update. Late last week, I took it out to the yard to give it a run. Started right up, but ran like crap. I tried a few things with no success to get it running right, although it ran and throttled well on my bench. But, I was able to get it running a bit so I took off and was playing in the yard. I think this thing will move really well. Anyways, a local friend and long time modeller had agreed to meet me today and get it running. Well, after about a half an hour of playing around, tuning this and adjusting that, he got it running very nice. The only thing is the carburetor is kind of finicky, so I have to pinch the fuel line or remove it to kill it. It is no big deal to me though as it has very nice throttle response. So, this weekend I am off for holidays and will be taking it with me and letting her rip. I will have the better half in my rubber rowboat, but am not planning on needing it. I will post a follow up later next week.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I can see why you had problems tuning the engine. Your engine is an MDS (letters on side are Cyrillic) made somewhere in Russia. They were notorious for having crappy carbs, but often ran like a scalded cat with good carburetion. Just make small adjustments when you readjust it - often you'll have to readjust the main needle a few clicks and the low speed once in awhile needs a click or two one way or another. The engine should be able to be stopped if the throttle barrel is closed completely. If it doesn't close all the way, adjust the screw sticking up between the carburetor choke and the cylinder. It likely has a collet nut on it. Back the screw out until the barrel closes and tighten the collet nut to prevent it from moving while the engine runs. If the engine still runs with the barrel closed, the carburetor is leaking air. Either pull the fuel line (you don't want to leave fuel in the engine during storage periods) or pinch it off... I never leave the fuel lines connected to the engines. I run fuel out of the engine at a fast throttle and plug the fuel feed line to the vent fitting on the tank. Keeping the tank and jug sealed between uses keeps the fuel good.

Hope that long winded reply helps you some.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 PM
NEW222

Yes, that does help me some more. Another thing I did not mention was that the engine also ran better without a pressure line to the muffler, so I will also not be using that line either, as my friend said it may be just a touch too much pressure.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 PM
NEW222

Too close to holidays and too busy right now to be playing with it anymore. But after holidays, I will be trying the other carburetor.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:23 PM
NEW222

Well, just a little update. While on holidays, I had a chance to run it. The engine is still not running 100%, but was good enough to get out. First time out while idling was rather fun, and was even happy with just that. So I gained a bit of confidence, and opened it up in spurts. It goes damn fast, but only for short bursts as the engine is still being funny, and secondly, no rescue boat. The power turns were absolutely a blast. I loved a bit of water over the deck then through the prop, as it is bobbing back up like a SeaDoo! I was grinning from ear to ear. Then while bringing it in close for an inspection, with the engine not at 100%, it ran into the dock, breaking up the front 1" rake(?) on one corner. So it appeared still ok, so I ran out the tank. Ran one more tank through it without any more damage, then stopped until I can fix up the front corner. It does not appear to have compromised the hull in any way, but just want to seal it up before round 2! Overall, it was great in every way, except the steering. It was definitely better in one direction over the other, but in my opinion, rather tame. I am thinking of adding on small extensions that make them a bit longer and will also go higher as well. Time to experiment this week!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:42 PM
Paulekins

sorry to hear you had a mishap but glad to see you are still able to use the boat
use your sub trim to set your rudders true
and yes these things fly across the water as i know so well
it sounds like your engine is running far to rich
see my thread "finished my first airboat " and scroll down to

1QwkSport2.5r

post dated 06-07-2016, 11:47 PM
he gives a good run down on tuning an engine
look foward to some pics
Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 PM
NEW222

I'll try to get a couple up on or by Wednesday.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 AM
Jerry_H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your MDS maybe leaking through the crankshaft seal, some do that from new. I just put up with it, this vid has a .40 placed on a test hull to check on board cam use, is fine for tooling around.

https://youtu.be/UzSt9e9OVrA