A couple of new Cajun Commander Airboats tested today

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

A couple of new Cajun Commander Airboats tested today

Old 09-28-2016, 12:32 PM
2manytoyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of new Cajun Commander Airboats tested today

Been on an RC hiatus for a while. Talked with Dennis recently, and he told me of the new (to me) brushless Cajun Commander airboat. We both bought one, and took them out for a quick test run today.

Take note of the pile of batteries behind the airboat.

When you go busting through the weeds, don't be surprised if you pick up a hitchhiker or two...

The boats are amazing! Well matched power to weight ratio. A little hoppy on full speed straight runs, but a pretty stable platform otherwise. We've both ordered some 3S 5000MAH batteries for extended run time. Really nice feature that the motor stutters when the battery is done. Gives just enough throttle bumps to get back to shore. I did find after two runs, mine had a fair amount of water inside the hull. Easy to remove via the built-in drain plug. There are a number of deck penetrations that are not sealed with silicone, and I will remedy that shortly. No worries of sinking due to the foam core inside.

Between runs, we were swapping batteries on the tailgates of our trucks. I was shootin' the breeze at Dennis' truck, when we both heard a sizzle and saw smoke coming from the batteries behind his boat (see pic above). One had spontaneously combusted. My reaction was to sweep the pile of batteries out of the bed of his truck with my hand. I knocked his boat in the process, but thankfully he grabbed the boat. The single battery continued to burn on the asphalt, melting the pack. This was one of his older batteries, and the case was puffed out a lot. But nothing had shorted it out or punctured the skin to get it started. They were sitting in the sun. Thankfully, these weren't either in his new boat, or inside the cab of his truck. I was fortunate to not get burned. He trashed all of his old swollen LiPos, I'm going to do the same.

I'm in the process of knocking the dust off all my airboats. I'll take my big camera on the next outing, and get some good action shots. Any of the old crew still stirring up the ponds?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Lester Burch

Dennis called and we talked for a while .
Looks like it time to get the Airboats out and then build a a brushless boat the size of a Cajun Commander. i have some cajun gator boats that i will go by.
most of my boats in the past have bigger boats and gas.

As for the crew we are still here i thank they will start running again. I was by the pond in Ocala last nite still looks like a good place to run.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM
2manytoyz

Good deal. I still have my modified Alligator Tours nitro, and a larger unfinished gasser. Knocking the dust off everything, and got a few more planned. Soon be cool enough to play outside!

Looking forward to seeing your version, and seeing some familiar faces again.

Robert