Burning up motors

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Burning up motors

Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Thekrow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning up motors

My cajun commander esc burned up. While waiting for the replacement to arrive, I decided to install a different esc and a 12 turn brushed motor. So my son could at leave enjoy it a little. The motor started smoking after about 30 seconds. Can someone explain why?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

The 12-turn motor is not designed for 3S and the stock prop. It is a high rpm motor and is trying to turn the prop too fast; since it can't reach its optimum rpm (prop too big) it converts the amps to heat - quickly. Result is a burned up motor and perhaps the ESC. If you want to use the 3S pack you will need to use a motor very close to the stock motor (1800 stock Kv versus about 3300 for the 12-turn and/or use a smaller prop.

Last edited by Got RPM; 10-02-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Thekrow1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention u was using a 2s 5000mah 25c lipo. I guess the prop is too big. However, I don't think a smaller prop would even push this boat.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Still draws too many amps. The best solution is a motor more appropriate for the prop. Wait for the ESC and use the stock outrunner.