Fiberglassing airboat !

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Fiberglassing airboat !

Old 12-06-2020, 01:17 PM
ANDRIS GOLTS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiberglassing airboat !

Hi all in the process of building a 21 inch long air boat i designed will be powered by a BL-2212/6 2200KV MOTOR swinging a 7x5 pusher prop on 2s-3s lipo power . Construction is from blue Dow foam which is covered with 1/ 32 inch thick birch aircraft plywood . Here is the problem i encountered i decided besides running on water and the swamp i would also like to run on snow ice and wet grass i realize the perfect scenario here would be a aluminum or kevlar carbon fiber hull in my case i have acess to birch plywood 3 oz fiberglass cloth and finishing resin. Would 1 layer of 3oz cloth and resin on bottom and sides be sufficient or should i go to 2 layers for more strength and pay the weight penalty ! I do not paint my airboats over top of the Pacer finishing resin i brush 3 coats of Minwax Helmsman polyurethane . Any suggestions would be helpful . Regards Andris Golts.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 AM
Got RPM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Snow and wet grass are not very hard, but ice within the snow could be enough to dent the foam. I would cover the bottom with the ply and resin, and use the ‘glass on the sides and top. 3 oz is pretty heavy cloth. Waxing the bottom will improve speed on grass and snow.

I fear that your prop choice is too much on 3S. I run a slightly larger motor (2830/2200) on one of my airboats and a 6x4 prop draws well over 30 amps. A 7x5 would be fine on 2S but might blow the motor or ESC on 3S. Good luck on you build!

Old 12-09-2020, 02:43 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the hull will end up weighing too much for a 6-7” prop to pull. 3pz cloth plus st least two coats of resin to fill the weave decently is going to weigh it down quite a bit.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
ANDRIS GOLTS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to the both of you for your input i will stick to 2oz cloth on the bottoms and sides only . Regards Andris Golts.