Gas in the Air?

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Gas in the Air?

Old 11-24-2003, 11:15 AM
pro27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in the Air?

All my experiences with airboats has been with nitro power to date. But after seeing the video and some of the other projects, I'm starting to get an itch for something bigger.

Are the engines, like the Ryobe, RC specific , or is it a home conversion? I have access to some weedwacker engines for real cheap, but don't know how easy a conversion it would be, or cost effective.

The cost of some of these engines used for 1/4 scale planes seems a little , um, high.
Any suggestions as to some appropriate, lesser expensive modes of go power out there?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:55 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Gas in the Air?

The RYOBI and HOMELITEs are probably the first choice since they are CHEAP and easy to find parts for .
As far as mounting and hardware required ... hey ... gotta have some imagination . My engine mounts are homemade , so if the way I cut down all the plastic housing ( it was orignally a weedeater - brand new I might add and only paid $10.00 - clearanced - Pamida end of year sale -or I should say end of season )
I have a friend who also did all from scratch and used a Poulan weedeater motor . ( but he also uses a nitro 12 volt starter to spin his over whereas I use the original pull starter that was on the Ryobi )
Brand new Homelite head units can be had from HOME DEPOT for $60.00

(P.S. thanks to the guys who asked for , and those who made it possible , for this AIRBOAT FORUM .... SUPER idea ! !
Old 11-24-2003, 01:00 PM
pro27

TERBObob,
That was another question I had bouncing around. How do you start these monsters?
It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I bought my first electric starter for my nitro engines. Until then, it has all hand flipping.

So.............keeping the stock pull starter is an option. Have to keep that in mind.

What about a shaft for the prop? Does something have to be custom fabricated? It would probably depend on the engine I suppose. There are probably some on the market for certain brands?

What about props? I cringe puttting on a wood prop. Blasts of water tend to do unlikable things to them. Composite or nylon? Prop size?

So many ???????????? and a neat new place to ask them!

Pro27
A Gas Newbie Wannabe
Old 11-24-2003, 03:35 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Props .... would suggest starting with a 16/10 3 blader , or 18/10 or 12 2 blade . Now , since you already done nitro airboats , then you know that a pusher prop goes in BACK of the engine ( closest to the transom ) and a regular prop goes to the front .
If the motor you choose has a pull start and can be accessed AND used , TRY to use that ( the 12 volt starters DO , do the trick , but are VERY hard on them and hope your engines fires REAL fast - .
The adapters for the propshafts can be either made or bought . The sell some on EBAY for RYOBI and HOMELITE motors . I , myself , made one out of a grade 8 bolt ( which is tougher than the actual crank ) . If you need pics of how I did mine , just ask . I will take some later on and post if you want / or need them .
And in my opinion , do NOT use a woodie ... stay AWAY from them . Getting wet , and swinging at those speeds , with that amount of pressure ... NOT good . I use ONLY composite or nylon ( actually only APC or MASTER AIR SCREW . I tried a 14 incher , but , she rapped out the engine too much . Went to a 16 2 blader and she also rapped the engine out pretty good . Went to the 16 3 blader and that runs PERFECTLY .
Also , don;t forget to open your carb a little on the rich side after adjusting at an idle ( high needle that is )
I have heard of a few fellows over in Waterloo ( IOWA ) that start theirs with a wooden spinner , but , I myself find that the little amount of weight for the already installed starter recoil is WELL worth it .
And for others reading this alos , if you are making one from scratch ( ain;t nothing like the feeling when you get one going and it runs PREFECT ) , might I suggest that you ONLY resin epoxy the bottom and the sides . NO glass was added to mine at all , just the resin .
Also , mine is more intended for snow and ice than water , but I must say , that she runs REAL good on water also
Old 12-11-2003, 02:09 AM
mikenlapaz

pro27
Many of your ? will get answered in the airplane - engines - conversion forum. Also many sites on how to convert weedies; Harbor Freight often has 69buck Ryobis sometimes cheaper.