Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Airboats
Reload this Page >

What's a really easy way of fabricating an engine mt/tank/rudder that can be moved from 1 boat to an

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

What's a really easy way of fabricating an engine mt/tank/rudder that can be moved from 1 boat to an

Old 11-28-2003, 12:33 AM
rsieminski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a really easy way of fabricating an engine mt/tank/rudder that can be moved from 1 boat to an

What's a really easy way of fabricating an engine mt/tank/rudder that can be moved from 1 boat to another? I'd like to test dif hull designs using the same power pod.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:13 AM
pro27

Default RE: What's a really easy way of fabricating an engine mt/tank/rudder that can be moved from 1 boat to an

Probably the easiest way is by using a tripod style assembly. Dumas uses it for the original Swamp Buggy and another is used on the AquaCraft Air Force. These are bolted down and very easy to remove and adjust if necessary. Here are some pics of 2 of my boats.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68740.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	78079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14798.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	78080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78133.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	78081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76532.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	78082  
Old 11-28-2003, 02:24 AM
pro27

Default RE: What's a really easy way of fabricating an engine mt/tank/rudder that can be moved from 1 boat to an

I'm not sure , but you may be able to get the AF parts direct from Hobbico. #HCAB6500-Engine Mounts, #HCAB6550-Engine platform.

The Swamp Buggy mount is just made out of 1/8" plywood, and is suitable for up to 25 size motors. The design could easily be upscaled for larger motors though. I did modify the original mount by adding a shelf for the fuel tank to sit on behind the motor, as the original had the tank mounted on the shelf below the motor. Works out much better for proper fuel flow to the motor. I did copy the patterns for it before I built it, so I have dimensions available. Or maybe even a scan if wanted.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:18 AM
rsieminski

That looks perfect, but is there a way to attach the air rudder? I'd like to use just 1 in the middle, and if I could run the engine on the side with the muffler down.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:04 AM
pro27

As far as mounting the engine on it's side.Instead of the way it is mounted here, attach a firewall to the front of the mount and then attach an airplane style engine mount to the firewall plate. The airplane style mount allows you 360 degrees of possible mounting positions. I'll have to give the ruder thing a little thought. I'll get back to ya.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:29 PM
pro27

I tried to scan a picture I drew but am having problems with my scanner, so I'll try and describe this.
For the rudder, use another plate (cut down to minimal size) and attach it almost at the bottom of the spread legs of the tripod. Like so....../_\. Along with the upper extension for the tank platform, you should be able to mount a rudder on hinges to these two points.
A way I mounted the rudder on one of my smaller boats was by this technique. The rudder blade itself has two brass tubes epoxied to the front edge, one towards the top and the other at bottom. The two extensions have holes drilled in them so the rudder can be mounted with a piece of music wire or brass rod. The rod goes through the upper extension, thru the upper tube on the rudder, then the lower extension and the lower tube. The rod is then epoxied in place, or fixed i a way to be remain removable in case you want to experiment with rudders also.
I wish I had a digi to be able to show you a pic of the set-up on one of my boats.
If you need more clarification, just ask.
If you look at the pics of my small boats in one of the other posts, look at the R/W/B one. You should be able to make out what I am talking about.