Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

New arrival -- my 'new' boat

Old 12-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New arrival -- my 'new' boat

Great section you've got started here. When the thought of r/c airboats come to mind, I've thought of something like I have here. Never,,, never would I ever imagine such detail and scale in some of your work.

Alright, got the hello's out of the way there, nows time to show my new rig.

Picked it up on ebay for a song. Don't know the name of it, just know its got an OS 60 w/11x7 prop. Engine seems to be in good shape and have life left in it. We'll see.

The boat on the other hand is in fair condition. The one of the servo's is glued to the bottom of the box! (I'm shaking my head as I write). The tower mounts with what looks like regular wood screws (4). And there are a few places that seem to lack any glass or protectant.

Not wanting to turn this into a total overhaul because its not worth the time. If its more trouble than its worth, she'll get put back on ebay, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84425.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	79934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72329.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	79935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76409.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	79936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56108.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	79937  
Old 12-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Doubledog

Default RE: New arrival -- my 'new' boat

Here's the one of the screws.

I'm over 20 years in r/c planes and boats and want to think that there's more to it than these four screws holding the tower down. Tomorrow my mission will be to dig out some long skinny bolts and go all the way through the hull. Don't know how much bracing is under the tower either so there's a lot of unknowns. One of the joys of buying junk on the net.

What is this boat? I'm guessing a Big Windy? Have never played with airboats before and don't expect a lot out of this one. Just something to dink around with and maybe convert into a retrival boat for the others.

Thanks for your time guys,
DD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74764.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	79938  
Old 12-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Fluid

The boat is a Dumas Big Swamp Buggy. I built one 20 years ago, powered by a Fox .45 and spinning a 11x6 Master Airscrew prop cut down to 10". I lowered the engine by designing and builting a different engine pod/mount for it, but that doesn't matter.

This hull can be very fast, but turning has been a problem due to the tunnel design. If you slow down a lot for the turns it works, but high speed turns are tough with the stock setup. You'll probably need to enlarge the rudders by about 50% in area, or even better just install a water rudder on the transom at the centerline. This hull doesn't work that well on snow or grass anyway so the water rudder isn't that much of a disadvantage.

Once you find the right prop ( I got a 50% increase in speed once I found the right one matching the engine and the hull ) this boat will boogie. It is a pretty heavy model ( typical Dumas ) but it can still fly off the water if you run it into the wind too fast, just be cautious at first. It can be a fun boat, particularly since there isn't a lot of $$$ in it. Have fun!! [8D]
Old 12-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Doubledog

Thanks for the reply.

For the money spent, it seems like a good deal. Always wanted one of these but never knew they were a tunnel design. Was hoping it was flat bottom for doing spins. []

What do you think would be a good prop to start? Read where someone posted that APCs are not a good choice.

Any an all input is appreciated, just don't knock it.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Fluid

I suspect that the 11x7 prop is close to the right size, but you may want to try changing the pitch up and down an inch or so. I used Master Airscrew props almost exclusively, but there are other high tech props out now which may - or may not - work better. I liked the MA props because they were tough and not too expensive.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:41 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ditto on the MASTER AIRSCREW props ... although I also tried an APC , just didn't care for it .
Old 12-06-2003, 10:16 PM
yamraptor2cool

I got a Dumas Swamp buggy too. It also is a fast hull. The onlything I dont like about it is it flips over to easy. I have a Master Air Screw 11x10 on my .61. Its able to drive on grass to. I did not take my time building it, so it leaks when in water and almost sunk one time. It will make a great retreivel boat also.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:35 AM
pro27

I have tried some APC props in the past. Some were ok, but also prefer the MA props. The biggest problem I had with the APC is to get them to fit the engine. The prop hole was too small or too big, the hub is almost always too thick, and the recess in the hub made it hard to get a prop wrench on the prop nut to tighten it.