RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

First airboat

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 05:37 AM
GUrra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First airboat

Hey

Im new to this and want to build an small airboat. I have a small cox .049 non-throttled engine and a 2-ch radio with servos to start with.... I need help with proper dimentions an stuff. It must be pretty good at turning becous it's an non- throttled engine. What is good material an where to position the engine..

thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 AM
pro27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First airboat

If you click on the GALLERY button at the bottom of this post, you can see several of my 1/2A airboats.

They all use non-throttled engines. One servo is all that is needed for rudder control so the radio system is light. I also use 2/3a nicad battery packs for the receiver instead of the 4-cell AA holders that the radios come with. Much lighter and smaller.

All my 1/2A hulls are of all built up balsa construction and are covered in Monokote airplane covering.

You can see a sequence of pics of my latest hull at the following link....

http://rcairboats.net/v-web/bulletin...topic.php?t=26

This is not a typical hull....an experiment in design, but a hull of similar size and conventional shape like those posted in the gallery is an easy build.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be sure to look at the pictures first, as they will answer a lot of your questions by themselves.

For size, these are all in the range of 18" long and 8" wide. (approx 450mm x 200mm)