so, airboats seem cool. how do i make one

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

so, airboats seem cool. how do i make one

Old 08-14-2004, 09:33 AM
gr8johnson3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so, airboats seem cool. how do i make one

it seems like you guys use the blue foam insulation board. which thickness? how do you form it? how do i know how thick it should be and the shape of it when i am done? and if i am using a evolution .40 aircraft engine how big should the boat be. i was going to make one from coroplast but now i think i need something else. thanks.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Default RE: so, airboats seem cool. how do i make one

There is some really good information here. http://rcairboats.net/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
It will answer most of your questions.

The blue foam is 1 1/2" - 2". Either will be fine for a boat.

For a .40, I would recommend something like 26"-28" x 13"-14" (across the bottom)

The hull shape or type of hull will depend on how you want the boat to run and perform.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 AM
dadkins

Here is my latest brainstorm.. foam with coroplast adhered to the bottom. This should provide some pretty good scuff resistance for
sand and grass - maybe not asphalt. As long as you have a simple shape, more the traditional florida swamp buggy - I think it would be pretty easy. and the very slight groove patern of the coroplast may provide some tracking stability. I can hardly wait to make one.
Now I just need to try and round up an old campain sign for some coroplast.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:31 AM
pro27

dadkins......now that's thinking...........let us know how it comes along.

What to use for bonding the coroplast to the foam..epoxy???
Old 08-17-2004, 11:48 AM
dadkins

Pro - I was going to try 5 or 15 min epoxy - sanding the coroplast first with some 80-100 grit - Then lots of duct tape and weight to get er tight. Unless.. You have any better ideas.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:38 PM
gr8johnson3

i have worked with coro a bit. i think using poly glue and woodpeckering the coro will work real well. the poly glue goes into the holes from the woodpecker and expands. it make little rivets. i have used it to build planes. works good. the apoxy probably wont work. but it is a boat and there wont be much flex like a wing. i dont know if the poly glue works with the foam board though. i will find out soon though. i got my hands on some 1 inch board and i am glueing it together to make 2 inch board. hope it works. i guess since i will fiber glass it over it, it wont matter much. now what it the best way to cut and shape this stuff. i have the pink board. and how do you screw into it to hold things down?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:25 AM
pro27

Areas need to be cut out into the foam to allow wooden members to be glued into the foam for the most strength. This way the piece will also be flush with the surface of the foam.

It could be cut out by hand, but a much easier way is to use a router. Dadaddyro has some pics of this process at www.rcairboats.com that should answer a lot of questions.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
dadkins

GR8 - What is Poly glue ? and the woodpeckering you speak of -- small holes every 1/2" ?? I have used Gorilla glue (woodworking glue) with the foam and had great results. Unlike most everyone else that builds foam boats. I like to use two cedar stringers that are about 1/2" x 1/2" x 12" long and glue them right to the top without dadoeing them into/flush with the top -quicker easier . then just use 1/2-3/4" wood screws to mount the engine mount to the stringers. As far as shaping the hull - a hot wire is the best - I don't have that though.. I use a hand saw, hack saw or Jap saw (thin blade trim saw) for the initial shape, then a surform cheese grater then a sanding board 24" long w/ 80 grit paper then a rubber block down to 220 grit.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Pro...that would be www.rcairboats.net

Dadkins.....
As far as shaping the hull - a hot wire is the best - I don't have that though.. I use a hand saw, hack saw or Jap saw (thin blade trim saw) for the initial shape
A sharp filet knife will cut the foam alot cleaner and faster. I've worked foam for years doing crown moldings and other architectural designs on exterior of residential and commercial buildings. Try the filet knife for the initial roughing, I think you'll like it better than the hack saw blade or jap blade.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:15 AM
pro27

SORRY......[]

I was asleep at the time..
Old 08-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Fluid

For the final sanding I think you'll find that using the "mesh" cloth used for sanding drywall is far better than sandpaper. Just cut a piece to fit your sanding block and enjoy smooth sanding without the nasty buildup of dust so often seen with fine sand paper. [8D]
Old 08-18-2004, 04:13 PM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

dadkins,
The"woodpeckering" you asked about is done with (strangely enough) a tool called a woodpecker. It is commonly used for covering with Monocote and such to prevent air bubbles under the covering and vent the hot air down thru the balsa. It consists of a handle with a set of wheels with very sharp teeth. They are available at most LHSs for app. 20 bux. Hope this helps. Best to ya!!
Gordy

P.S. In your case it will give the glue a better chance to get extra grip.