RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Question for the RX/Tx guru's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:55 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the RX/Tx guru's

First , let me say .... its been a while ( been so rapped up with work and all .... haven't had time for much anything else [&o] )
Now , I see there are a LOT of new members here as well .
Any-who ....
I am wanting to make a twin engine driven boat , BUT .... ( yep , here's the situation )
I want to be able to control the throttles of each independently from the other yet , also be able to control them together ..... ( did I confuse you yet ? )
In other words , is there any way , using a two channel radio setup , to hook up two throttle controls to the throttle channel so that they will decrease, increase as you use the channel 2 control and then yet , be able to use channel 1 to be able to either increase or decrease either of the engines for turning power . ( no rudders , just use of the engines powers to do the turning )
Now , I know this can be done with the "expensive" comp Tx's , but was wondering if this could be done with a standard pistol ( non - computerized ) Tx ?
Anyone ?

[8D]
Old 09-08-2004, 01:47 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Question for the RX/Tx guru's

Mechanically it can be done, but it's quite a hassle and needs a lot of tweaking.

Imaging channel 1 controlling a servo, which arms connect to both carbs, when the servo turns, one engine revs up, the other down.

So far so good; the channel 1 servo sits on a sled, moved by the servo controlled by channel 2.
The leads from servo one run trough a pully each round a 90 degrees bend, so if the sled moves, both engines rev up, or down.
Channel 1 controlles the balance between the two.

Confused? ask for a sketch!

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:25 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Question for the RX/Tx guru's

here is a page with a pic... doing this is the same as the old mechanical style v-tail mixers used on planes. there IS an easier way, there are electronic vtail mixers for under $20... looks like a small speed controller, plugs into both channels and has 2 outputs.

http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/vtail.html