Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Weed wacker Hovercraft/airboat

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Dyer13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weed wacker Hovercraft/airboat

I am thinking about building a weed wacker powered airboat, or a weed wacker powered hovercraft. If anybody has any ideas, they would be welcome. The weed wacker weighs about 8 lbs. I am skilled in welding, and woodworking. I dont know how to build using fiberglass or foam, but I can learn, and I am a quick learner.....Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Default RE: Weed wacker Hovercraft/airboat

What exactly do you need to know?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Dyer13

I was hoping for some building plans, tips,etc.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:49 PM
machjeff

Go to rcairboats.net and start reading. After a couple of days you'll know all you need to. I've started a weedie airboat build too. There are also a couple threads on this site's engine conversion forum with a guy from rcairboats learning to convert a weedie, some good info there too.

The first thing to do is take your motor apart, figgure out how you want to use it (I'm keeping part of the original housing and recoil starter, and am not worried about shedding all the weight that the airplane guys do). Then get or make a prop hub adaptor (i made my own with some pipe, a tap, a bolt and washers). Finally figgure out how you're going to mount it and put your mount and controls together.

Then you can do whatever with it. You can scratch build a wood hull, a foam hull, or people have put motors on boogie boards and toboggans.

Thats the great thing about these, anything goes and they are all fun. Happy building.

The only thing special you'll need is a 1/4 scale servo for the rudder (if using an air rudder), cause the big weedies push too much air for a standard servo.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foraweed wacker engineI do not recomend building from foam. 1/8" and 3/16" birch plywood or .063 aluminum.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
rcboatscars

I have a 40 sized hovercraft for sale on e bay this weekend. drop dead stunning.!!!!! by the way, i tried to build a gas airboat out of thin ply. disaster. weight is a major factor. build from foam sheeted with thin skin of ply. save weight everywhere!!! mine was 48 x 24 with a 25 cc gas 2 and three bladed props tried.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:09 PM
fixitt

Dyer13 these guys have alot of good info I have started a few airboats and alot of weedy motors from 20 cc to 46 cc. The foam and fiberglass not too hard its really depends on what you like to work with keep us posted !
Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

8 lb weedeater engine ?????
Don't forget you are gonna strip that bad boy down ..... usually they weigh in at aprox 5 lbs . Mind if I ask what size engine and make ? Because , even the "anchors" ( Ryobi's ) weigh less than that .... ( 4 3/4 lbs ready for use )