EP airboat build

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

EP airboat build

Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
saleens7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP airboat build

I am planning to scratch build an electric powered air boat & have a few ideas on the design of the hull, motor, and electronics.

hull: the hull would most likely have a sheet metal bottom with marine grade plywood on the sides and supports made of balsa.

motor & electronics: for the motor i will probably use 700sc or anything with more power for under 100$. depending on the voltage of the motor, the esc will be either the mc40 or the mc-70 NAVY. all of these things can be found at the link below

http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Default....1&store=mhzusa

The radio system I will buy at my LHS

if anyone knows a better or less costly way to scratch build an EP airboat please tell me

Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
jasperrc

Default RE: EP airboat build

I think I would go with a foam hull, built in boyancy and very light.

I haven't done any electrics, so I can't really say how big to make it for your motor, etc.

Post some pics when you can
Old 09-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXUU50
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXAXT7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXJ902
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXZK93
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJA83&P=ML
This is the power train for http://cajungatorairboats.com/Galler...Gator-Electric
Old 09-08-2006, 03:08 PM
saleens7

Thanks for the info, plus how do get the hull strong enough that it wont flex and so that the motor mount has something strong to hold on to?? ive heard fiberglassing would be good but isnt there some kind of exopxy based paint that stiffens insulation foam??
Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 AM
bign

ive heard of a paint that is made to prevent rust, that will not harm foam, I havent used it personaly matter of fact i cant find it in the stores. i would suggest the foam hull also for your build. The only wood i use on my foam builds is where the engine will mount to the boat, usually a small square of 1/4 inch ply is all i use, then i cover the complete hull with 2 part epoxy ( can get it at any hardware store) paint it then use another thin layer to protect the paint. good luck with your build bro, keep us posted.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
saleens7

well i ordered the 600 motor, esc, and prop holder. I have a 3600 mah batt and an 8x6 slowflyer prop<<is that a bit too big. anlthough foam is lighter and already floats, i am leaning toward a balsa hull with a fiberglasses bottom. I am lucky my dad is a woodworker, he might be able to help me with the hull.

Due to school and limits on my allowence, it might take a bit longer then i expected to complete this project. Anyway it is my first build and i dont expect it to be the best ep airboat ever.

Would a balsa and fiberglass hull be too much weight to move with a 600 motor. My goal is to atlest make this boat fast enough to get on plane.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
saleens7

I think i am doing to base my design on the ep airboat that Mr. Cajun Gator gave me the link to. Ive seen the video and the performancd ive seen from it is better than i expected, but i might make it a puller instead of a pusher. Also, what steers the rudder, a servo im shure, but i dont see it in any of the pics. Where is it mounted and how does it move the rudders, does it just pull and push the rudders or is there two servos that just pull? one last question, what kind if hinges are used to keep the rudder in place??
Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
bign

here is a secret a friend told me a few months back on my first build " Listen, learn, and take your time " also i would suggest doin alot of research on your first build BE A SPONGE and soak up as much info as possible. here is a link that will help you with some of your questions Good luck and keep us updated.

http://rcairboats.net/v-web/bulletin...opic.php?t=501
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM
saleens7

That forum helped alot, But i am most likely going to use balsa instead. instead of glassing the hull, i might spray the entire hull in waterproof coating, or any other waterproofing stuff and then epoxy on some thin aluminum sheet metal. That way it can perminantly protect the bottom of the hull. But will this make it too heavy, it is not going to be a large boat. Or is there another way to protect the bottom of the hull besides glassing??
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
bign

weight is a concern with the alluminum sheet , how about gettin a piece of COROPLAST and using that on the bottom, its pretty tough and very lite, should last a long time.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:25 PM
saleens7

this my be a dumb question, but im still new to this hobby: what is coroplast?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:55 PM
bign

first off partner the only dumb question is one not asked, lol. Coroplast is corogated plastic i think thats how you would describe it, i know you have seen the Voting signs before, the little white signs that stick in the ground on a wire frame, or if you have seen the people at the intersections while your riding in a car with those big plastic signs that say VOTE. you can find it at any hardware store, home depot, sometimes even walmart and kmart. it is usually in a 2 x 4 square but i think you can get it in rolls also, it is around an 1/8 of an inch thick and it looks just like a piece of cardboard its just made out of plastic. chances are if you walk around your neighborhood you will find one sticking in the ground advertising something. hope i didnt just confuse you bro, if you go to your local hardware store and ask if they carry coroplast im pretty sure they will, i think you can get like 4 2x4 squares for around 8 bucks.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
bign

Where are you in Florida, maybe we are close to each other, nothing like having another boat buddy
Old 09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
saleens7

Im in pembroke pines, i see you are in high springs but I dont know where that is. maybe Il google earth it.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 PM
saleens7

well high springs is way up north. Not even close to me, I basically live right on the edge of the everglades, only 1/2 a mile from it.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:48 PM
bign

wow turns out we are like 3 hours and some change from one another, i got a buddy that lives alot closer to you though he is always lookin for someone to run with, he is only about 80 miles from you, if you interested let me know an ill see if i can get you 2 together.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
saleens7

I got alot of other stuff on my hands right now, school work, school, home work. Plus i dont have a car and my parents dont just up and go to anywhere i want.

Current build info-none of my stuff arrived yet, dont expect to receive them untill tuesday next week. Hull will be an almost exact copy of the Cajun gator electric.

Oh yea, i might go with a oldschool flamejob paint/decal with a black or gray basecoat.

Also, is aircraft grade ply as good as balsa??
Old 09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
saleens7

Mr Cajun Gator,

Did you bulid that engine mont?? if so could you tell me how and with what materialss??

if you bought it, where did you get it??
Old 09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
saleens7

Also, how do you program servos to work with your controller??

And does the esc that I bought come with all the wireing done or do i need to hook it all up??

I am using a 3600 mah batt, is that too much power, It smoked my my two 380 motors in my High Wind, what will it do to a 600??
Old 09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
RS 38-40
My Feedback: (3)

When you set up a electric you need to know how many volts your motor runs on . You said it was a 3600mah ( Volts ? ) which will give you a longer run time BUT are quite heavy. Weight in an electric is not your friend . You also need to find out how many amps your motor draws with the prop you intend to run on it . After you find out how many amps you are drawing you need an ESC that will handle that many amps and then some or you will be burning out your ESC(BIG $$$$$ ).
Old 09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
saleens7

I already bought an esc, but all the stuff is the same as used on a sucessfully running EP airboat. I am going to use the same hull and everything else. even the prop is the same. If you look toward the top of the thread, there is a list of links. They are listed there by the person who built the airboat i am basing my design on. So far, i havent seen any problems with his esc.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 AM
jasperrc

ORIGINAL: saleens7

Also, how do you program servos to work with your controller??

Your servos plug in to the receiver(Rx). On my setup, the rudder servo plugs in to channel 1 on the Rx and the throttle servo plugs in to Channel 2. On yours, it may be similar with the rudder servo plugged in to Channel 1 on the Rx and the ESC plugged in to Channel 2.

Normally what I do is center the servo(s), get the linkages adjusted the way I want them, and then turn on the radio gear and use the trim adjustments on the Transmitter (Tx) to fine tune.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
saleens7

The one I am planning on buying $40.00 and comes with RX TX SX and battery pack, cheapest on i can find. so i dont know if it even comes with throttle and servo trim
Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 AM
jasperrc

Most of them do have those adjustments. What gear are you getting?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 AM
bign

Im pretty sure even the cheap ones have trim adjustment, may not be the best in the world but it should have something, lol. After you get this boat done you can alway upgrade, If you can get one good set of radio gear and one good motor or engine then you can build as many boats as you want an use the same radio gear and motor/engine for them. Didnt you have some stuff comming in the mail or is that someone else, if so did it get there yet ? i wanna see the new stuff too !!!!!! lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.