Winter project

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Winter project

Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 AM
asmithnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter project

My new kit showed up and now for the building. Since I have just moved, I am now without a shop so the build may be slow. Planning to use the new OS.75AX

Old 12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
crispyspa

Default RE: Winter project

It looks kinda flat.....think it'll float like that? I'll be watching this build.
Where'd you get it and how much was it? I want one!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Here.
http://rcairboats.net/page3.html

Don M.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

HOLY COW POOP Batman ! ! !
Talk about OVER - PRICING
And what EVER ya do .... do NOT give me that CRAPOLA about costs for R&D for this one !

[sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif]
Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 PM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

HOLY COW POOP Batman ! ! !
Talk about OVER - PRICING
And what EVER ya do .... do NOT give me that CRAPOLA about costs for R&D for this one !

[sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=what_smile.gif][sm=eek.gif]

PLEASE!!!!! This is a (build thread) not your personal slam on others. If you have BEEF with the KIT designer please take it else where. Seeing that it's been around a year since I have posted a build thread..... I would like to keep it clean. Thanks Andy
Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
crispyspa

Turbo.........Do us all a favor and unplug your computer and cancel your internet service. MY god man, Don't you ever have anything good to say about anything?
I saw a RTR from another builder. Selling as his "Christmas Special" for something like $1200. Don't say this is overpriced.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...le&memid=45413 TERBObob suspended[X(][X(][X(]
No comment, don't really wanna get into this. All I have to say is opinions can differ, just better to keep um' civil.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM
crispyspa

I think he can still post though and use the opportunity to apologize.

NUF about terbo.....

How's the project coming along?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

Turbo.........Do us all a favor and unplug your computer and cancel your internet service. MY god man, Don't you ever have anything good to say about anything?
I saw a RTR from another builder. Selling as his "Christmas Special" for something like $1200. Don't say this is overpriced.
I do agree that we need to post about our builds and new Idea projects. Since I was drugged into this. The Christmas Special that is only from Airboating Magazine (excellent magazine) is for a 27cc high performance ready to run RC Airboat. Before it is lead to be over priced, do a little home work. This boat is built from aircraft grade birch plywood 1/8" 3ply inner locking framwork and 5ply 3/32" skin, not the cheaper baltic birch or Luan/Lauan Plywood for Dolls' Houses. The engine is a 27cc CY 3.25hp. The radio is the Futaba 2 channel digital proportional R/C system. The boat is hand crafted with more hours than I care to count. It is a truely proven R/C airboat, with out the need to have comments or cons to make it out to be more than what it is.
IMO Terbo just calls it as he see's it. He is not the one acting, so why is it that he should be the one to apologize.
Andy your last SI 3 pointer build came out excellent, with your eye and hands of craftsmanship. Your add ons IMO really helped. Good luck on this build. The vid of your first SI 3 pointer looked to run perty good.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:18 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

I do agree that we need to post about our builds and new Idea projects. Since I was drugged into this. The Christmas Special that is only from Airboating Magazine (excellent magazine) is for a 27cc high performance ready to run RC Airboat. Before it is lead to be over priced, do a little home work. This boat is built from aircraft grade birch plywood 1/8" 3ply inner locking framwork and 5ply 3/32" skin, not the cheaper baltic birch or Luan/Lauan Plywood for Dolls' Houses. The engine is a 27cc CY 3.25hp. The radio is the Futaba 2 channel digital proportional R/C system. The boat is hand crafted with more hours than I care to count. It is a truely proven R/C airboat, with out the need to have comments or cons to make it out to be more than what it is.
IMO Terbo just calls it as he see's it. He is not the one acting, so why is it that he should be the one to apologize.
Andy your last SI 3 pointer build came out excellent, with your eye and hands of craftsmanship. Your add ons IMO really helped. Good luck on this build. The vid of your first SI 3 pointer looked to run perty good.

That's where I saw it.....Airboating magazine. I guess I typed that statement with the wrong wording. It was meant to convey that there are kits out there that are of inherent good quality that outwardly SEEM expensive. Sorry Hal for the misunderstanding. But...why do you take the low road and slam another persons kit?
not the cheaper baltic birch or Luan/Lauan Plywood for Dolls' Houses
please......

As for the quality of the kit in question (you know the "overpriced" one) I did a little research on this one. It is constructed of 1/4 and 3/16 Baltic Birch. CNC laser cut to exact dimensions. you slam into a tree and break something on that boat, you could get a replacement part that WILL fit.......exactly.

Here are some links to describe the quality of Baltic birch:
http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24695

From what I saw, there is only one difference between Baltic and Aircraft Birch........Baltic usually has one face that is beautiful with the other possibly having patches. The CNC operators can and usually do program the cuts around any patches to eliminate them from the finished product.

Sorry for the Hijack Andy.[&o]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"not the cheaper baltic birch or Luan/Lauan Plywood for Dolls' Houses"
this commebnt was not to down anyone's work, it was only to show why my boats seam high priced, because there is some what a difference in price of the material.
The SI 3pointer project looks to me to be a fun build and in the vid the boat looks to run good. IMO this would make for a good class of boat to race and I would love to one day get with Andy and the gang for some rc airboat racing.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 AM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

"not the cheaper baltic birch or Luan/Lauan Plywood for Dolls' Houses"
this commebnt was not to down anyone's work, it was only to show why my boats seam high priced, because there is some what a difference in price of the material.
The SI 3pointer project looks to me to be a fun build and in the vid the boat looks to run good. IMO this would make for a good class of boat to race and I would love to one day get with Andy and the gang for some rc airboat racing.

Ahhhh....O.K. Sometimes when typing, it's hard to get a point across without making a neutral comment sound derogatory. tiz the nature of the "beast"
Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
hooty301

I tell you what..I just dont understand why you (turbo) are being so rude. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby but it seems like every chance you get your slaming somebody. You really need GROW UP! Hey you aint got to buy it! [&o]

And by the way I dont see anything overpriced about at all, its a well round, provin CNC cut boat that runs very well!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
codtongue

wow, in the spirit of the season, happy holidays to all.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:50 PM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: codtongue

Thanks, to add to the above quote a small video from the first 3 point build.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/YQH1MJ...#theater_title
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread has been cleaned to reflect the topic at hand. Lets keep it on track guys
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: asmithnc

ORIGINAL: codtongue

Thanks, to add to the above quote a small video from the first 3 point build.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/YQH1MJ...#theater_title

AHHHHhhhhh......Okee-Tantie..........Fun, sun and gators.....I wanna' do it again.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
dadkins

Those 3 pointers look like pure race boats - If I'm ever challenged to an oval race - I may have to build one of those.
Looks like it tracks really well and corners really well and goes pretty fast.
I'm wondering ... Is it too predictable. Do you ever have a blowover / spinout ?
Looks FUN ! Merry Christmas everyone. Glad to see a few die hards keepin the airboat section alive.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 AM
codtongue

I'd like to see someone run the inflicted airboat on snow with air rudders, I'd be willing to bet it would scream, my flat bottoms run atleast 10 mph faster on the white stuff, but its a trip get them to stay in what you might call control.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Those 3 pointers look like pure race boats - If I'm ever challenged to an oval race - I may have to build one of those.
Looks like it tracks really well and corners really well and goes pretty fast.
I'm wondering ... Is it too predictable. Do you ever have a blowover / spinout ?
Looks FUN ! Merry Christmas everyone. Glad to see a few die hards keepin the airboat section alive.
Yes, these boats sure handle a race very well. The video was taken at a race event in Florida in June 07. I drove 13 hours and never did a water test due to finishing the boat the day before I left. The paint was curing during the trip down. The boat was a prototype made from luan. The designer asked me to put it through the (TEST). I'm pretty hard on boats. The video was taken the second time I have ever had it out on the water. I liked the boat so much I bought one and now for the build.

I have only flipped this boat two times (high winds) and have never spun it out. The boat is predictable and likes to slid a little in the corners. Overall the boat with a water rudder is very controlable and fun to race.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34839.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	818355  
Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 AM
dadkins

I see the water rudder now in the airborne picture. No wonder it tracks so well.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Hummm ...
Wonder what happened to my post here ?
Just because I said it was EXPENSIVE ?
Seems something is screwy in Denmark .[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Tommy gallagher

Bob is that why u were suspended
Old 12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
jasperrc

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

Hummm ...
Wonder what happened to my post here ?
Just because I said it was EXPENSIVE ?
Seems something is screwy in Denmark .[sm=50_50.gif]
It's not what you said, it's how you said it. Now let's not get off track again.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
jasperrc

Lookin' forward to this build Andy. What have you got in mind for a color scheme?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.