Twin hull airboat,check it out..

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Twin hull airboat,check it out..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin hull airboat,check it out..

Found this.

This huge Snow Cruiser, built especially for the Byrd expedition, is now being tested by the Armour Institute in Chicago. It is the last word in polar transportation. Manned by a crew of four men, it will be able to zigzag across Antarctica for twelve months without returning to its base, stop for two months at the Pole itself while the scientists make observations. The Cruiser measures 55 ft., weighs 37 tons and cost $150,000. Its twin Diesel engines can keep it going at a 10-mi. cruising speed (top speed: 25) for 5,000 miles. Its pickaback plane (on or off in 10 min.) can make day-to-day side trips, scout ahead, save the crew in emergency. Individual electric motors operate the four wheels independently, enabling the craft to move laterally, turn around in 30 ft. One derrick loads and unloads the airplane, changes the biggest tires ever made (10 ft., 700 lb.). Another, attachable to the front, can swing members of the crew over crevasses too wide for the Snow Cruiser to cross (more than 15 ft.). The Cruiser, carefully exploring the polar region, will give the U.S. a stronger claim than quick airplane dashes. One ironic hitch: the Snow Cruiser may be too big for the Byrd ships, may not be able to make the trip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14668.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	934940  
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
mr. ilikehelp

sweet need a vid
do you have any ideas how this could be done with an electric boat
Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM
rickster3057

Hi Dons boat works,
Thanks for the cruiser picture, that is such a cool shot, it gives me all the angles and detail i was missing,thanks.
Hi ilikehelp, the vid is gonna be done shortly so will post it, the airboat is electric, it was a motor/reciever comdo from an old G-con sky surfer.
Rickster3057
Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
rickster3057

Hi all, just in case anyone is still interested.
I took the airboat out for its maiden and video run, what can i say, eletric sucks,underpowered whatever battery combo i used just wouldnt get on the plane,and then it ripped the rudder off hitting a rock.
But never let it beat you, SO home i came dimantled the pod took all the electric out removed and replaced the rudder servo and then built a new pod and fitted a NITRO, arh hahahahahah, now it has a thunder tiger gp o6, the power to weight ratio is about a hundred times better. i am in the middle of the rebuild so will post pics and the old video and the new together at the same time.
Rickster3057
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60952.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	977493  
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
crispyspa

I've never been a fan of electric either...not because of the power, (the right combination of motor and battery will have lots of power), but because engines sound so much better...it needs to make noise.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
rickster3057

Hi crispy, yep you got that right, electric just doesnt make that high pitched scream,heheheh
I hooked up all the servos and tried all the radio gear, then i ran the engine the small tank runs for about 8 mins, the lake i have to play is only small so thats ample time.
Dont know what it is about the little thunder tiger motor but it runs and sounds sooooooooo nice, it will flick start every time.
As soon as she is ready i will take her out and get some video footage,i will load some more pics tomorrow, so keep watching this space,hehehehh.
Oh forgot to mention, my fiancee is pregnant so it looks like the snow cruiser will have to sit on the back burner for a little while,due date is december.
I have foud most of the parts i need and have the frame and chassis assembly clear in my head.
Rickster3057
Old 06-25-2008, 01:41 PM
mr. ilikehelp

cant wait for that vid.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
rickster3057

Hi all, well the airboat convertion is finished. I have had three engine run tests so it only needs me to take it to the lake,dont know when that will be as i have just started to build a ALVIS SUPACAT as a new project. it will be 24 inches long and 15 inches wide i will post the thread on the nitro car section.
check back for the airboat vid though.
Rickster3057