Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

ice any tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:13 PM
vamp131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ice any tips

well thought water frozen so just putting two aluminum runners on my hull give it a go in the pond its frozen solid and you can walk on it but take fishing rod just incase lol

if any one has any tips on running an air boat on ice be of great help should be a laugh as long as i not crash it as soon as i run it i put on a film for you all to laugh at

just finished putting on the runners two carpet runners lol got them for 75p out of the cash and carry i fixed them onto the hull with heavy duty mirror bond as i make mirrors it was the best thing i had to hand 100% waterproof and once its hard it never coming off took ages to get the excess silicon off !

used pain stripper to get it off just melted it gave it another coat of paint on the hull going away for new year so going to take the boat with me Loch Lomond in scotland take a dinghy with me just in case

it not be frozen but will see how it go,s with the runners on it should be okay protect the hull from getting damaged on the beach its fresh water so be safe i hope

i put a pic in of the boat after i had a wee crash got a new engine now a sc 61 the asp was knackerd lol

update just watched a few films of air boats on snow and ice going to try make a cover for my prop a bit like the vortex just in case i roll it lol too expensive too keep breaking

didnt get my boat out at new year was too drunk lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61172.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	832402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75489.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	832403  
Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: ice any tips

Tip
#1 ) add LOTS of extra room for turning . Whatever you THOUGHT was a wide turn before , just got to be a itty bitty turn when running on ice .
#2 ) the faster you go , the harder it gets to turn.
#3 ) you WILL get to a point where you are going TOO fast , where you can NOT even turn , no matter what
#4) last of the tips - Have FUN ! ! !
Old 12-24-2007, 05:17 PM
jasperrc

And don't forget to get vids.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Tommy gallagher

I have been doing some airboating with my foamy "firetruck" riding on some ice covered hard packed snow by the lake. it runs nice and handles alot better than i thought, but once your up to speed an headin straight you better have some space for it to roam in large circles.

I rewound my komodo outrunner from a 7turn to a 4turn 22gauge wire and turned this little boat into a mini racer, running with a 3s 1320mah TP pack along with a castle 25a esc, i can say that this little boat
is packing some heat. Right now on to the newer much more improved version that could handle the winter element a little better, let me say this to you: you boat needs to be strong against the hard packed snow or it may brake.

Heres a lil vid you decide: My traxxas Tx is faulty right now, giving me limited range to run the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idX9cc6VN4s

EDIT: forgot te pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27875.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	833374  
Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM
vamp131

wow looks fun im running a sc 61 lol think i try it on snow 1st as in water it is extremely fast one ice be in bits in seconds lol thank you for the film
Old 12-25-2007, 08:18 PM
vamp131

it turns great in the water can even make a whirl pool the boat starts to go into the hole have to stop as it would tip over after seeing a few films think i wait till it snows put the runners on it today

found some nice evo stick i forgot i had a bit like no more nails but this is the best you can get go,s nice and hard and its water proof so the runners are on it for life save me having to paint the hull every few weeks can drive it onto the bank with no worries of scrapping the pain off i post a few pics of the hull tomorrow once i clean it up if its nice i will give it a go if the water is still frozen