Making a Blizzard, with a Vortex

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Making a Blizzard, with a Vortex

Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM
dadkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making a Blizzard, with a Vortex

I think its sinking in to the snow and rolling over due to the snow being so soft and light - I believe it would do much better on some hardpack snow or even windblown crust.
It looks like the rudder works reasonably well. I have both single and dual rudder set ups and find there is very little difference if you have them scaled correctly and actually prefer single due to ease of set up and less frontal area (minimal).
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
D Bronk

..retaobcr..I think I know what your saying.But I don`t want to to a total redesign of the Hull.Just want to be able to use more, or less ,as is with simple little additions..

..dadkins ..Yor analysis of the Snow is Bang on.Completly Fluffy I`m still up in the air about my Rudder.Haven`t had enough time on the boat to evaluate its effectivness..

..My Yard is a total mess now, the nephews have driven the snowmobiles all over it [X(][&:][:@].

.The Boat flipping over..I think ,I know what is Contributing to it flopping over ,and will try a simple solution ..More on that later also..Sorry, got to go ..
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 AM
D Bronk

..I must be losing my Marbles..The other Day I made it to the city, and got my Supplies for the next project..I stopped at a Rona Home center,and while looking for stuff on my list ,I found my self inspecting Plastic and Galvanized Garbage can lids and Various plastic Storage box lids,Checking out the The large Grian Scoops ,and snow shovels and wondering how the would work out as Air/Snowboat..LOL Somethings Up, with the Ol'Brain..Sheesh !! I wonder if there`s a Pill for fixing That...LOL

Back to the Vortex,,Have been Fixing somethings that Aren`t up to my Liking.. The things I`ll be listing are all ,In my eyes Factory Screw-ups,and should be looked for if you happen to have Bought one of these Boats..I don`t know if each and every boat is being sent to the Stores like this,so a person will have to inspect,their own boat, for themselves..Technically,Yes, this is a Ready to Run Boat,and would work out of the Box,,Maybe for some RC enthusiasts ,what bothers me won`t be of any concern to them what-so-ever..So I`m just going to explain my findings and Fixes,and it will be up to an individual,to decide if my info is of importance to themselves...Kind of a, Take it or leave it ,scenerio..

Fuel Tank

. Pictures explain themselves..The fuel pickup line could be longer,but I decided Next time I go to the hobby Shop..I `m going to buy a Different tank ,and then I will show how, I modify all my Fuel Cells, to be Fail proof..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56897.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	841830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15062.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	841831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97249.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	841832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51813.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	841833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46388.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	841834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22363.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	841835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv38030.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	841836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih24368.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	841837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf67374.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	841838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Na21107.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	841839  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 AM
D Bronk

..I forgot to mention that those Fuel Barbs, can Be Purchased Ready made. I personally prefer to buy the Tube in a length and Make up my own. I generally pick up a Few different pieces of metal Stock every time I go to the Hobby Shop, and I keep a pretty good Inventory of Tubes ,Angles, solid Stock, etc. to make up various DOO-Hickeys. Where I live, it’s just too far to go to the Store, for a simple part that can be made up by myself. Besides,, I really enjoy making up my own stuff..

..When initially Made up, and I installed The Air Rudder. I had noticed a couple things with the Box Stock Vortex...I had installed the Water Rudder, and noticed that the Pivot was pretty sloppy, and also ,that the Rudder was not Square(crooked) to the Boats Hull. Maybe the Experienced Guys can explain if this is a Correct install to compensate for prop torque.. I’m not certain about this. The final thing was, I noticed that after I had Removed the Steering servo arm ,and the Rudder arm, that the cables were kind of Sticky feeling. I pulled them in Both Directions and they seemed to move better, but still more force was required, than I am normally used to ..I actually ignored this, and ran the Boat as seen in the Vid..

..I’m going to get into the rudder Steering mechanisms, because a bit of work, and improvements were done there.. I’ll show all these various Details eventually. BY the Way ,with the steering rod Modification the effort required to move them is reduced by about 75%. Much easier to move them now.. I’m happy with that change so far ..Today It is going to be a very nice day out so I want to give the Boat a try again. I’ve done several thing s to it but it will take me some time to get this thread up to speed..

Name:	Rp43480.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	841867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39814.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	841868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57442.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	841869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38167.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	841870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67185.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	841871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54605.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	841872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr26298.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	841873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih24644.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	841874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Db55378.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	841875  
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM
retaobcr
Banned

Got your message, good luck!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM
D Bronk

More like ,no luck at all !! [] I’m pretty much finished all the improvements/Repairs on this Vortex, that I felt needed to be done .But now I got some Real problems. I have been really angry with myself, today. I had taken the Vortex out for a Test run, with the Snow melting off the roof, the weather is pretty nice at just below the Freezing point. I don’t know if this makes sense but the snow is still fluffy but wetter than what was seen in the Vid.. The boat was actually reacting totally different than the other day. Gliding effortlessly. I wish someone was here to have been able to operate the camera for me. I never seen anything like this before, the boat took off from a little hump/bump on the snow surface, got airborne and did a 720'degree flat spin, just like a Frisbee, landed and drove away. WOW Beautiful !.Now that was probably over steer and driver error on my part, but, it was a Freakin` Awesome Maneuver if someone was actually intending to do that as a Trick. I Ran it around for another minute or so, and shut it down then brought the Boat back in the house to do a little Tweaking on the Carb.. I found that the Needle stops needed to be Fixed up, and Moved.. I couldn’t get the adjustment I was looking for(leaner).I decided that it was something, I would work out after Dark, and that I will continue to run it as is, for the time being.. Here’s where I messed up, I knocked the Bloody boat off the Kitchen table, by accident..[&:][&:[X(][:@][:'(][].I couldn’t believe my eyes When I inspected the damage.. OK yeah ,I dropped the Boat and maybe some Chipped Paint, or Cracked Fiberglass is not out of the Ordinary, But that Little impact has nearly Written Off the Hull.. What the [:@][:@] ?? This damage is not normal.!! The Deck and the Hull is Separating, and now has a Pretty good Twist in it from Bow, to Stern,, some serious built in strains here… Before I go Blowing Smoke and Pointing Fingers I’ll give the distributor a Call on Monday, and see what they have to say. I can fix it no Problem, but with all the other problems, that I fixed on this Brand new Boat(Hull and Assembly issues)Someone was having a very bad Day at work. Stripped Screws, Screw holes and unnecessary potentially dangerous Control cable issues, and so on.. I have Pictures of the Before and after, I repaired these things.. I just have not had time to post about these things here yet.. Granted I dropped the boat, and maybe some Fiberglass Damage is to be expected ,But , the Hull halves Coming apart like that.. No Way, That’s a Non Bonded Assembly and appears to be a poor fitting Job, not mating together properly. I actually think this Boat had Gaps in it’s joints(Butt Joint [:@]) in a few places that was repaired on the assembly line with Thick CA and Micro Balloons.. So at this point I’m not going to Continue with this thread until I can see what can be done with this Hull. I can overlook a lot of Deficiencies ,but the line is Drawn at this issue..

Some pics. in a Few minutes..
Old 01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
D Bronk

A few pics..[:@]

Name:	Sq47819.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	843496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36065.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	843497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90431.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	843498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53682.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	843499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27669.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	843500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw26377.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	843501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61160.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	843502  
Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Just my view on seamless hulls .
I , myself , have taken a couple of hulls , and made them seamless and whenever there is ANY kind of whalop on the front , they do not take it very well . [&o] Not like before I cut and sanded off the over-lap that was originally there . ( I am not saying you did any alterations like that , just making a statement about what I , myself , have experienced with seamless hulls )
I understand your anger and I am not saying that you don't have a right to be upset at the other things , but when a fella stops and thinks about a seamless hull , how would one go about getting the seam , to hold REALLY well ( seeing as to how you have one flat , meeting another flat and you want to join them and give them strength ) ?
I , tried fibreglass tape with resin - no luck . Silicone , shoo-goo , CA with micro's , 2 part foam and filled the front and rear for added strength , and even went to an extreme and lopped on some JB weld , thinking - what the heck , couldn't hurt ( LOL ) .
Anyway ... IMO - joining a hull that is seamless is not an easy task ( to join it is , BUT , to give it strength like a seamless hull , well , I have yet to find a solution myself . )
I feel for ya about the hull , but sometimes a fella has to kick back , grab a cup of coffee , relax and calm down and thnk ... I could've had a V8 instead ... LOL
Now , as bad as it seems , just think if it was one of the ABS hulls ( like a lot of us have )
Accidents happen , just be glad its repairable . [8D]
Get 'er fixed and get having some more fun . ( and be careful )
Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 AM
D Bronk

After thinking about this Hull separating business ..I started thinking in the line of, what could I possibly gain By asking for anything, of Horizon Hobbies. Later I’ll talk to them and tell of the problem, and that’s it. I don’t want another Hull, at best it will be the same Crap, off the same assembly line in China.. I’ll just fix what I have ,,,Properly ,,the way it should have been assembled in the First place....I’ll split the top, from the Bottom, look for, fix ,and reinforce any obvious weak spots. The Deck ,and Hull Joint is so weak from using Ca as a joiner, I don’t think I need any tools to cut it apart, just pull it apart by hand..[:'(] Anyway I’ll join the halves with Epoxy and a Fiberglass cloth over the joint, on the outside of the hull. I don’t know why it was not done like that in the first place. A 1/2"@ 1/2oz. weight glass woven cloth across the joint would have done the job.. Oh Well, Racer tape (duct) has things straightened out for now..

..I sort of made a change in retaobcr`s line of thinking with winter toy products. Anybody in the colder parts of the Continent Remember as a Kid, getting the Newest and latest Christmas present Craze back in the 1970`s "The Crazy Karpet"?? I don’t think there’s a single Person in Canada that hasn’t Had, or bought one for someone as a Gift.. It’s simply a sheet of Polyethylene plastic about 1/16" thick with a slight Texture on one side to sit on (as Traction),the other side is Smooth as Glass, and two Holes punched in it for handles ..You sit on that thing on the top of a Hill and you go down faster on that thing, then any other sled or toboggan you’ve ever gone sliding on. They also made a tie on type of over shoe and called them Super Slider Snow Skates, or something like that. You went down the Hill Standing up. Actually completely Insane both of those Toys,,, Zero control, and went like Greased Lightening
[X(] Lots of injuries. Just ask the Vortex, I gave it a new Krazy Karpet Shoe yesterday, and It got injured AGAIN.LOL...I had bought a bunch of these polyethylene sheets for the Top and side surfaces on my Lathe Bench(cleans easy).I bought them last Spring ,when one of the Local stores were Changing their Seasonal Stock over. I bought a bunch, (Real Cheap)and have lots of Cutoffs left over. Tip; I also use these Sheets as a Cutting Surface for Hand cutting Balsa ,decal Stripes, Cut MonoCote ,etc.. on top of it. Works Excellent and doesn’t Dull your Knife Blades. That’s one Tuff plastic, and you can’t Break it unless it is Scored with a Knife First

Name:	Sq47365.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	844778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83637.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	844779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67463.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	844780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93998.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	844781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34597.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	844782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86533.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	844783  
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM
D Bronk

TERBObob ..Exactly ,What I`m going to Do.Testing the Boat for the Nephews again today .Should Have a Camera Operator Today also weve had a bit of a Break in the Cold weather and the Snow Surface is Tuffening up.Not such a loose Dusty Powder like in the first video..Pathetic I haven`t even Ran 200mls of fuel through the engine yet..Always some sort of Snag..Well got a prop to Change,and we`ll see how it goes again today..Have a good one..

..ABS Hull,, Hmm..That reminds me I have a New MRP Miss Bud in box ,Stored away ..I never finished putting that together either..[&:] Electric Though,and I don`t care for those systems much..Maybe would make a good Mold..Hmm,Got me thinking again LOL..That will have to be later on,though I started to Drawing up my own rendition of a Airboat last night 1'= 1" scale for my first Scratch built Airboat..Got a pretty nifty concept in mind.It`ll have to be in it`s own thread though..My Prediction is ,It`ll go 1, of 2 ways,ie. Fabulous or Flop... LOL I`m just going to Wing it ,and do my engineering in the,,Looks about Right manner LOL
Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
D Bronk

Well, It was another not so good day, for the Vortex a couple days back..I managed to knock the prop guard more or Less completely off of it Now..I had replaced the 3 bladed Evo Prop, with a 2 blade Master airscrew GF 11"X6" That got a little bit of an adjustment also..I`ll need to re-work it into a 10.5"X6"..LOL..That`s ok, I didn`t have a prop that size.I found out by going to the 2 Blader on this Evo Engine that you can`t just put a Dubro 2.5 Prop Spinner on to it..You have to remove that flywheel first ,or the Back plate will not Seat down on to the prop Hub/Driver the way it should. The lugs for the Nuts, that hold the cone to the back plate sit on the Flywheel and hold the Plate about an 1/8th inch away from seating properly .

..At the Beggining of this last Run.I went to do a radio Check and Found one of the Brand New Futaba Servos(3003) I had installed, had Stripped its Gears..Not Bad,Huh, at least I got a total service life, of 5 minutes out of that servo.. It was The Rudder Servo ,so it must of Smacked the Rudder in the previous mishap,at least the Rudder I made, didn`t turn into Scrap..LOL

..Well my Camera operator didn`t work out to well..I might as well have turned the Camera on,and put it inside my pocket..She kept turning the camera on and then immediately turned it off (double clicked the record button)[&:] I`m ashamed to put this video link up but I`ll do it anyways.I think i may have figured out why that Hull is trying to seperate..See if you can figure it out too..Oh, I ended changing the Glow plug shortly after this..The way this is playing out I`ll be Buying the Nephews ,another Vortex..LOL[:@]

..I`m going to have to make up some sort of Prop Shield ,and have another Item,that, I want to make and try out on this Boat.But I`m working on my scratch build Right now, and the Vortex is going to sit ,untill I have patience for it again.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/RWGYDK...#theater_title
Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 AM
vamp131

Wow looks fantastic I have just finished a boat today converted a jet stream 800 to nitro was wanting to try it today but as i live in Scotland its freezing lol whiter with frost water frozen too

i have put metal runners on my air boat but I will try make a cover for the prop like the vortex save my prop in case i roll it lol go look for an old shopping trolly with my bolt cutters use the metal from that lol
Old 01-12-2008, 09:09 AM
D Bronk

LOL ..That shopping cart idea just might work..The plastic on the Vortex Prop Guard just shatters,didn`t even roll it ,it only went on its side a little bit..Hey if you don`t want to go outside for that cart, just grab one of the Grates/Racks, out of the Oven in the Kitchen.. LOL

I think I`m going to Roll a new gaurd out of Aluminum Sheet .At least,that way, I`ll be able to Bend it back in shape a few times ,and hopefully more than a 5 minute lifespan out of a prop..LOL

don`t forget your video..