im so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

im so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 PM
nick34
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[&o]im so confused reading all these post im starting my fist build using foam just glued them together dimensioons 19"w 24"L 3" deep ok i was going to go elec.
but with all the price shopping with esc,brushless,batt. to dang pricey.. so going nitro now i have a bunch of questions i just cant figue out ive read so many there starting to blend together.. here i go im wanting to go with a basic airboat design what i need help on is the size of my hull im going to buy a .40 off ebay with prop. a 10x6 prop so if i do what size hull? next.. ive heard about angle the sides ive seen boats that angle from top (wider) to bottom and from bottom(wider)to top which way do i go i want to fly through the turns (keep in mind im in florida so most of my running will be in water occasionaly in the grass.. and i only have a 3inch thick foam how do i get such a big fron rake?? oh and what the heck r u talking about tractor and puller if im buying a motor off of a plane that would be a tractor right?? if thats right i want to look like an airboat so i need a motor that pushes how do i get that ???

PLEASE OH GREAT ONES HELP OUT A TRUE NEWBEEEE TO THE SPORT OF AIRBOATING

p.s. i am starting out with absolutly nothing no electronics or anything i donated it years ago to a friend of mines son ... so if anyone has a spare rx,tx for a very reasonable price please let me know thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Default RE: im so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[link=http://cajungatorairboats.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=54]plans[/link]
tractor is a puller with the prop in the front, this is how the plans above are made. A pusher has the prop behind the engine, just as you see on the full size airboats. The plans can be modified for that. Also with the .40 engines, I find that they like the 9x6 pushers better, and you can get a little lower engine setup.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
nick34

ok gator so if i buy a .40 o.s. la max that would be a tractor right?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
vamp131

go for nitro it way more fun electric only last a few mins nitro lasts all day or till you crash lol 40 is great but for speed you want a 61 but all depends on the size of your hull a 40 nice and light gator knows his stuff
Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 PM
nick34

ok from reading a ton gator said to use a 9x6 prop so my hull is 1.5 time wide right? 13.5- 14"wide and 1.5 + 2" get the lengh right 15.5- 16"long does this sound right for a .40 with a 9x6???
Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 PM
retaobcr
Banned

You say 13.5" wide and 16" long. Am i reading that right. That's to short. Make it 23" long including the rake. Make the rake 6 1/2" long . I have an electric which is 10" wide and has a 6" rake and total lenght is 19 1/2" on a 05-540 motor and a 7 x 6 prop on lipos at cg of 30%. Runs great.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 AM
nick34

ok i got the length and width but which way do i angle the sides??
Old 01-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

I did not put the above link where it was very noticeable, sorry. Click here [link=http://cajungatorairboats.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=54].40 Building Plans[/link] These plans will work very well with the 40 la. Only thing with the 40la is that it needs to be a tractor(puller) setup, reason being is that the bushing engine are designed to have the force pulling on the engine. Pushing will only burn up the engine. I have had super good luck with the SuperTiger engines, The G40 sells for around $50.00 and it is a bearing engine.
One other thing you can check out, is building a airboat from a boogie board(body board). The M.AB.A is hosting a contest that is free to enter [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6723874/tm.htm]CONTEST post RCU[/link]
[link=http://m-ab-a.com/page9.html]Link to MABA website Contest page[/link]
Old 01-20-2008, 10:02 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Theres an old saying my dad used to tell me and so when I repeat it , please excuse me if its one of those obvious questions ..
About the foam hull , you ARE gonna epoxy over it , correct ? ( nitro fuel WILL eat/melt it up . )
I ask this , only because you were gonna go EP ( electric power ) and this would not have been needed to do if you were powering your vessel that way ( EP )
Go to EBAY and do a search for TQ3 ... there will come up a BUNCH of radio control TX and Rx's ... there are a LOT of times these can be had for around $20.00 for the pair ( no , no servos , just the new TX and RX )
3 channel AM 27 Mhz - BUT , they ARE good items ... I used them a LOT .
Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
rider12693

hi
Old 06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
mr. ilikehelp

no go elecric by a lrp speed control marine one $50 and a moter for $30 and a radio for $50 and some depron$15 oh and make sure the moter is brushed it will work fine, a prop$3 gorilla glue$5 and thats about it oh and a battetry but those can range a vary depending upon how much run time i have a 3,000 mah and get ten to 15 minutes but then i have another one to put right in and then a third run and by the time i do little tweaks and run the other two bats the third is done and ready for more us then wait a coupl hours and do it again
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
alloutcustom

Have you seen the site HOBBYCITY.COM Cuz if you did you would realize it is cheaper to go electric, however, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

ORIGINAL: alloutcustom

Have you seen the site HOBBYCITY.COM Cuz if you did you would realize it is cheaper to go electric, however, you get what you pay for.
I'm sure you tried to type h o b b y c i t y . c o m(great site for inexpensive quality electric items) ya that's crazy... it could be typed not long ago at all... some really helpful guy in the car forums recently quit this forum because he was so angry about this. I read the reason it happened is it takes away from the RCU adds(which RCU gets money for), which is cutting them short of business. Well, we'll see if my post disappears...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM
mr. ilikehelp

if u decided to go electric pm me and ill give you some details.