RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Aquacraft Airboat likes to topple over

Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
wuhouse
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquacraft Airboat likes to topple over

Dear All;

I am running an Aquacraft airboat. Everything is stock. I face a BIG issue. This boat likes to topple over especially going into right turns. It comes to a point when it becomes uncontrollable. Eventhough the water is calm, and when I slow down to make a bigger radius turn, it still wants to topple. This has spoilt all the fun for me to the point where I just want to trash it. Can any kind soul give any advise?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Default RE: Aquacraft Airboat likes to topple over

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7628434/mpage_4/tm.htm#]may help[/link] post number 88
Old 10-16-2008, 04:57 AM
wuhouse

Post 88 mentions to align the level of mounting for the engine to that of the deck. Which in my case IS the case. It is simply useless. Any kind sould out there can recommend how to improve? I am contemplating re-cutting a longer piece of ply thereby invert mounting the engine onto the boat, tus lowering the CG, This will involve quote some work, but do you think it will help?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 AM
DJLaPalme

Your engine should be level or close to it. As it comes from the factory it has a prop high attitude. That means the rear of the engine is pointing up. That needs to be changed. 2 4-40 flat washers on each side at the forward 2 bolts holding the engine to the mount will bring the engine level. DO NOT PUT WASHERS BETWEEN MOUNT AND THE HULL! Vibration will cause the washers to cut through the fiberglass. Also try using exponential on your rudder to keep from being too sensitive around neutral. Dennis
Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
wuhouse

Thanks for your advise on the level of the engine. I believe you are referring to a prop low (meaning prop pointing down) instead of prop high situation. So what I did was I put in 2 washers underneath the front of the engine, elevating the prop up. Also, I changed to a 3 bladed 11X7 Master Airscrew prop. Tried running it yesterday at the pond and it was relatively ok, able to make a smaller turn without toppling, but the damn rain came too soon for anything to be done, and will have to wait until next week.

Just a question. If I really want to put in a bigger engine (60 size), is invert mounting it the only way to go?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

would not use anything larger than the .40
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 AM
DJLaPalme

Wuhouse, as the boat comes from the factory the engine is mounted so that the prop is angled up a few degrees. The engine should be mounted so that it is level or the prop is pointed down a few degrees. Another thing that might help is lowering the fuel tank down to the deck. Your engine should still run good with pressure hooked up. I have highly modified my hull and after I find out if my mods worked or not I will post the mods that worked. Dennis
Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Bush_Wacker

ok its like a real airboat the prop turns left and it wants to flip try not to make left hand trns and also if it starts to dip down throttle on hard get it out  rember there hard to get good at take your time
Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
DJLaPalme

Wuhouse, be looking for a thread after the first of the year on how I modified an Aligator Tours airboat. Since I modified it it has'nt flipped even once and I have run it in rough water and high winds. Come to think of it, since the mod I have'nt run it in anything but bad conditions, and I have a blast with it now. Dennis
Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM
ARMOR RABBIT

Hi DJLaPaLme i like to see some pics or vidoe on how you mod your alligator tours boat hull . because i have the same problem with my air boat . i like what you did with your hull it looks realy good .thinking doing the same thing with mine .
Old 04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
DJLaPalme

ARMOR RABBIT, go to the thread "Sliding turns". There are a lot of pictures and video of my boat there. As you will read on that thread Lester Burch and I have spent a lot of time fixing this boats problems and we will have a complete hull ready for sale real soon. All you will have to do is take the parts off the A.T.'s hull and bolt them directly on the new one. We will also be offering a bigger cage so you can upsize your engine too if you want to. Dennis
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM
res3567

You did not mention the airboat name so I am assuming itis the AlligatorTours...I have the Airforce. My cousin has the A.T.and YESit likes to flip. We flipped it twicethis past weekend. The stock hull IMHO is just too narrow. You can run it, but VERY CAREFULLY on the turns. Get the hull from Dennis, which I also plan to get two; one for my cousin and one for myself as my Airforce is not an air rudder airboat. Butmy airboat is harder to flip which makes it fun on the water, but it won't run on land with the water rudder.
ORIGINAL: wuhouse
Dear All;

I am running an Aquacraft airboat. Everything is stock. I face a BIG issue. This boat likes to topple over especially going into right turns. It comes to a point when it becomes uncontrollable. Eventhough the water is calm, and when I slow down to make a bigger radius turn, it still wants to topple. This has spoilt all the fun for me to the point where I just want to trash it. Can any kind soul give any advise?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
res3567

The boats after our Friday run.....it rained Saturday and Sunday My cousin is frustrated too with the A.T. so much so that he went and got two Rios....theminiis for his wife and the EP for himself......., I replaced the stock engine on mine to an OS .46. Thanks to Dennis' advice, my boat runs AWESOME!!!!!The Super Tigre on the A.T.is a great ENGINE also!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62993.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1421909  
Old 04-22-2010, 06:27 AM
ARMOR RABBIT

Hi DJLaPalme i saw the pics and vidoe. thats realy nice job you did to the hull . there yesterday i put two 4-40 washers on the back of my engine to make it level waiting for fine weather to try it out . but in the mean while when you starts makeing the hulls let me know the price and i will have one of your hulls. thank you .
Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 PM
res3567

I second that Dennis.......my cousin and I are ready......
ORIGINAL: ARMOR RABBIT

Hi DJLaPalme i saw the pics and vidoe. thats realy nice job you did to the hull . there yesterday i put two 4-40 washers on the back of my engine to make it level waiting for fine weather to try it out . but in the mean while when you starts makeing the hulls let me know the price and i will have one of your hulls. thank you .
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
DJLaPalme

It will be next week when a determination is made on when they will be available. It will probably be the 1st of May. Dennis
Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM
res3567

What is a good way to mount the fuel tank onto the hull of the A.T. and will that help with the high C.G.?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 PM
DJLaPalme

I cut 2 pieces of 1/4" square stock and made 2 rails going from the front hole to the back hole for the mounting screws of the fuel tank stand, one for each side. I then cut grooves on the bottom of the rails to slide plastic tie wraps through. I put double sided tape on the bottom of the tank to hold it on the deck and used the tie wraps to hold the tank down to the tape. It has worked for me and the engine has not seemed to have been affected. It lowered the c.g. but the boat still flipped all the time hence the modified hull. Dennis
Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 PM
res3567

Ok Dennis...just a thought. My cousin has broken the stock tank mount; we Gorilla Glued it back, and when it flipped recently, it broke again. The part has been back ordered...sometime next month, I think....but if lowering the tank won't help much, then we will just wait for the hull.....why is the AT and the Airforce not available until next month and beyond?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
DJLaPalme

Chances are they are waiting for the container to get here from China. Then they have to wait for it to clear customs. Then it all has to be distributed. You will see them SOMETIME! Dennis
Old 04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
res3567

We will wait patiently Dennis....it is all good. My cousin ran his AT again today and got ten minutes if good running before it flipped again. He is getting better at it.........

Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 AM
stumpjumper1280

Yes I got real frustrated with mine as well I did learn to drive it pretty good but I am still going to build a new boat when you guys get them things selling.I'm looking quite forward to it. As far as the stock A.T. the best you can do is pump the throttle half way into your turn and the boat should come around a little better. I haven't ran mine in months I've been busy but I need to get back on it. Keep me posted Dennis.