Waterproofing servos?

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Waterproofing servos?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 AM
cracker39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing servos?

Has anyone had a problem with exposed servos and water affecting them? I've seen boats with servos mounted outside and I plan to surface mount my two servos on my coro airboat I'm making. I had planned to put a silicone or hot glue bead around the joint where the servo sits on the deck to keep water out of the boat's interior. What about the top of the servo? Will water get into one and if so, how would one waterproof one to keep water out?

I suppose that one could make a cover for the servos from coro and use a short piece of pushrod tubing with grease inside as a water barrier. This is how I see it:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73283.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1172291  
Old 04-04-2009, 11:11 AM
crispyspa

Default RE: Waterproofing servos?

I've never run exposed servos before but I suppose your idea would work, but instead of the tube packed with grease you could use a du-bro push rod seal.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD589&P=7
Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 AM
lennydude
My Feedback: (2)

I have learned to use a product called "Corrosion X".

Just take the bottom off your servo and dip it into the liquid and let it dry. We all use this for both boats AND airplanes flown on floats.

You also could invest in waterproof servos. Not water resistant but true waterPROOF servos. They do work.....have tried them..

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTKL0&P=SM[/link]

Lenny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86864.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1172389  
Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
planebasher

I paint the seams of the servo and the wire exit with Liquid Electrical Tape: Home Depot;

You can seal the shaft with a small o-ring and put a little silicone on it to lube it.

When My servos got wet; they would still function but were erratic; due to the feedback pot getting contaminated; operate it a few times manually and spray it real good with Contact Cleaner and she will recover.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Dan S

Corrosion X all the way.

Dan.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the rx system needs to be protected from moister, very important!! I seen the rx system get really wet and still work fine, but in a very short time the system started to glitch. Taking this chance could result in a destroyed boat or someone getting hurt from a out of control boat. Too many easy ways to make a radio box, many sealed containers that will also work as a radio box.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
asmithnc

I ran exposed servos all the time. In the beginning when I was not that smart they were not warterproofed. It was a safty issue so I started waterproofing myself. I took the screws out and placed RTV in all three seems not getting it on the gears. RTV'd the screws and the servo wire going into the servo body. I also used a O ring for the horn. I work great but in the future if I run exposed servos again I will use Corrosion X.

The pic you see is a test of the servos. I placed both in water over night. Once dunked if you see air bubbles it not waterproof.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
3DSAVAGE

i put my servos on top my engine tower and cover them with duct tape. no problems so far.