Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Cutting blue isulation foam

Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting blue isulation foam

What are you guys using to cut the blue or pink insulation foam? Can you use a table saw with a very fine tooth blade. Or do I need to use a heated wire in a bow to cut it. I am looking for acurate cuts. (And I don't have the budget for a cnc...LOL)

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
jasperrc

Default RE: Cutting blue isulation foam

I've only built one foam hull to date but I used a table saw to rough cut and then used the concrete front porch to "file" to size. It worked well but was messy. If you are going to do more than one, I would suggest a foam cutter. Someone will come along with plans for one.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
crispyspa

I use a band saw, hacksaw blade, utility knife and a hot wire cutter. just get it close and sand to spec.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
DJLaPalme

I use a scroll saw from Lowes. It cost me less than a hundred dollars and it is very usefull for other projects as well. Dennis
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

just get it close and sand to spec.
However you cut it..... the above is the only way to go.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
joseywales44

I have the best luck with a RAPALA fillet knife. Make sure it's super sharp and cut with a sawing action. Rigid foam (DOW Blueboard, OC Pink etc) has a grain, so you'll find that cutting in one direction is easier then others. Be sure you aren't ripping the foam along the opposite side (where the knife blade exits). I've had it happen where I'm making a nice clean cut by the knife handle, and gouging the opposite side. This is where the sawing action helps a lot. If you gouge or over sand an area you can spew on GREAT STUFF, that spray can insulation....let it dry, and shave with knife and re-sand. It adheres awesome to foam.

On my first build I taped the bottom of my rigid foam boat with clear packing tape, then coated the entire boat with MINWAX Acrylic. Several coats and it's nice and strong. Doesn't eat the foam cheap, and waterproof.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
evader512

band saw?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM
mr. ilikehelp

the only time ive worked with foam was while building a small boat with motors of a cheap electric airplane. wat i did was cut a square a bit bigger than my dimensions with a jigsaw then used a sanding block to bring it to exact. then to shape the front curve(i just blanked on the term for that) i drew even lines on the sides of the block and used a hacksaw for a rough cut then mounted my band saw in my vice and used that for exact. i repeated the last step for my slanted sides.

either way ur gonna have to rough cut and sand so maybe try a few methods out and see wat one u like