Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

CLD 26cc Gas Airboat

Old 11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
claserdesigns
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLD 26cc Gas Airboat

Here are a few pics of my CLD 26cc Airboat prototype, due to my laser machine size I'm limited to 16" long pieces, that's why you see the "puzzle joints"

More information and pics soon

The hull is about 4" tall, 40" Long x 23" Wide and very light weight

26cc Engine 2.6HP

Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 AM
jg2009

Default RE: CLD 26cc Gas Airboat

Looks good.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM
slowstang88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im seeing red x's.. would really like to see this!!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
DJLaPalme

Go to red x. Right click. Hit " Show Picture". Dennis
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
claserdesigns

Ok I just came back from my vacation, I will be posting more pictures soon.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
crispyspa

[:@]
You can't take vacation in the middle of a build!! [:@]

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
claserdesigns

A little update, I have been very busy, but I did some work this past weekend.

The engine that I will use on this project is a 4 cycle engine, but I will make the motor mount area "universal" and I will make different types of mounts depending on the engine, I still don't know if I'm going to use RCG engines so will see.

The inside skeleton weights only 1.6lbs

The bottom plywood was hard to bend even by applying heat to it. so I had to use whatever I had to hold it down

Working the middle part

Working the front

24 hours later

A little trim

Now I need to finish the sides, apply a coat of epoxy on all the inside joints, putting the top and electronics box and start fabricating a cage for the propeller. I got myself a nice aluminum welder that will do the job.

More updates soon

Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

kinda late but next time to bend the rake mix alcohol and water, using a spray bottle, wet the ply, add weight to the deck as you did BUT do not use so much, use the heat gun to dry the plywood, you will need to repeat the wetting and drying until the ply takes shape. Other wise you are taking a chance of the glue not holding the plywood to shape. I have seen the glue break days after from not using water/alcohol.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: Mr Cajun Gator

kinda late but next time to bend the rake mix alcohol and water, using a spray bottle, wet the ply, add weight to the deck as you did BUT do not use so much, use the heat gun to dry the plywood, you will need to repeat the wetting and drying until the ply takes shape. Other wise you are taking a chance of the glue not holding the plywood to shape. I have seen the glue break days after from not using water/alcohol.

Thanks for the tip, I did wet the ply while it was been holding down and used heat to "freeze the bend" in shape before applying glue but Ididn't use alcohol. What does alcohol do exactly? I'm buying supplies to make 5 more of this airboats and the faster I can bend the rake the better.

I was thinking on doing a custom JIG and buy an Steamer for clothing and apply heat to the wood to get the shape I need.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:10 PM
claserdesigns

Got a new radio for the airboat Spektrum DX3S with a modified SR3000T receiver.

I was going to get the MR3000 marine receiver but it doesn't do telemetry, so I decided to modify the SR3000T receiver with a extended antenna.

I'm using RG178 coaxial cable as the new antenna 18" long. with 1-3/16" exposed need it for the 2.4ghz 1/4 wave. I will be adding a SMA connector at the end of the coaxial cable as soon I get a nice 2.4ghz antenna, but by doing this modand exposing the 1-3/16"cable only,I got around 100 feet more range on the telemetry.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

ORIGINAL: claserdesigns

Thanks for the tip, I did wet the ply while it was been holding down and used heat to ''freeze the bend'' in shape before applying glue but I didn't use alcohol. What does alcohol do exactly? I'm buying supplies to make 5 more of this airboats and the faster I can bend the rake the better.

I was thinking on doing a custom JIG and buy an Steamer for clothing and apply heat to the wood to get the shape I need.
Don't question the answers grasshopper just do as directed...LOL...just joking. The alcohol will loosen the grains more, aids in soaking the moister deeper in the wood and also softens the glue some. Allowing the water/alcohol mix to soak a couple of minutes helps. This is the one part of your build that you do not want to rush nor force. Any part that you force into place on these boats will cause twist and hooks, resulting in a boat that will not run as good as it can. Once the bend is complete you should be able to remove the weight before gluing, it will have a small crack, if you can close the crack with out much force then you are good to go, if you have to force then wetting and drying steps are needing to be repeated. The only other way to make the bend faster is wrong and that is to turn the wood grain 90* to the bend. It bends easy, but looses a lot of strength and would allow for the hull to twist. Instead of weight you can also use a board and bolts to make a clamp. You will need a board wider than the hull by a inch or two on each side. Drill holes on each side to match the bolt that you plan to use. Match drill the work table to the board. Block the bottom of the hull at the end of the rake, place the board across the framework, bolt to work table, tighten slowly as repeating the wetting and drying process.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
claserdesigns

That's what I thought about the alcohol, I managed to get my ply into shape before glue in it to the frame, but I had a little trouble on the front I had about 1/2" gap between frame and bottom, that's why I used all that weight holding it down.

Iwill be making a steam box with a jig inside with form of the rake, I will hold it down using a similar method of the one you told me. I will steam it until gets the form. I saw something similar on "How it's Made" . Maybe I can spray the ply with alchohol before putting it into the steam box. Hmmm

ORIGINAL: claserdesigns

Thanks for the tip, I did wet the ply while it was been holding down and used heat to ''freeze the bend'' in shape before applying glue but Ididn't use alcohol. What does alcohol do exactly? I'm buying supplies to make 5 more of this airboats and the faster I can bend the rake the better.

Don't question the answers grasshopper just do as directed...LOL...just joking. The alcohol will loosen the grains more, aids in soaking the moister deeper in the wood and also softens the glue some. Allowing the water/alcohol mix to soak a couple of minutes helps. This is the one part of your build that you do not want to rush nor force. Any part that you force into place on these boats will cause twist and hooks, resulting in a boat that will not run as good as it can. Once the bend is complete you should be able to remove the weight before gluing, it will have a small crack, if you can close the crack with out much force then you are good to go, if you have to force then wetting and drying steps are needing to be repeated. The only other way to make the bend faster is wrong and that is to turn the wood grain 90* to the bend. It bends easy, but looses a lot of strength and would allow for the hull to twist. Instead of weight you can also use a board and bolts to make a clamp. You will need a board wider than the hull by a inch or two on each side. Drill holes on each side to match the bolt that you plan to use. Match drill the work table to the board. Block the bottom of the hull at the end of the rake, place the board across the framework, bolt to work table, tighten slowly as repeating the wetting and drying process.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 AM
DJLaPalme

Claserdesigns, you should come up to Ocala this sunday and bring something to run or I'll let you run one of mine. We have a good time. Mr. Cajun Gator is supposed to be there and some new people are coming out. The more the merrier. It also is a good opportunity to see what is working, what is not, and possible solutions. I also heard that Mr. Cajun Gator is taking everybody out to lunch(just kidding). Boy, I bet that get's Hal's attention. Rayette's too(thats his wife). Dennis
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Oh yeah gonna bring sliced ham and bread.
A jig in a steam box, maybe even a oven to dry out the ply also. That is a good idea and would give true fits every time. Then all you may need to do is fine tune the frame to the bottom.
And all joking aside, you are doing good work.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM
claserdesigns

Where I used to work the have a big oven that they use to make gaskets, they have been laying off people recently, the only have engineers working on designs but not manufacturing so I will talk to my cousin husband who was my boss to see if they are going to sell that oven, it's old but it works, and I can do some custom gasket with it too.

Oh yeah gonna bring sliced ham and bread.
A jig in a steam box, maybe even a oven to dry out the ply also. That is a good idea and would give true fits every time. Then all you may need to do is fine tune the frame to the bottom.
And all joking aside, you are doing good work.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
claserdesigns

Even though the modified antenna works better than the original, I did a dipole that works much better.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
crispyspa

Hey claserdesigns...

Could you go into more depth on the antenna thing? Maybe start a new thread? I thought that if you changes the length on those antennas, the wavelength ( or something) changed and made it less effective.

...and what is a dipole and how does it differ from what you had??
Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

Hey claserdesigns...

Could you go into more depth on the antenna thing? Maybe start a new thread? I thought that if you changes the length on those antennas, the wavelength ( or something) changed and made it less effective.

I will be making a seperate post for the radio RX mod, but to answer your question about the dipole, the dipole is similar to any router antenna or even the DX3S transmitter antenna, but in my case it's custom. I have 2 receivers a SR3000T (modified) and a SR300 untouch, I will test them both to see the range difference. But I will post this on the seperate post for this mod as soon I get the test done. Right the telemetry has better range.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
claserdesigns

Wow forget all the wood bending methods mentioned here before, no disrespect to Mr Cajun Gator, I just bought a little steamer from Cornair for $30 at Sears. It took around 6 minutes to build up the steam but I bended this piece of 1/4" wood in less than 3 minutes and it cooled very quickly and is holding the curve perfectly.

This little steamer holds a lot of water and it uses very little, nice tool for $30

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eyword=steamer

Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

none taking...I will get one of these things and give it a try.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
claserdesigns

Here is a little update, I eliminated the motor mount area to do a different one for the 4 cycle engine.

Because this is the prototype I will be doing the sides on fiberglass instead of wood, this will save me time and give me a better curve, it will still be very rigid on the sides.

And yes is still very light my 3 years old can pick it up easilly.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 PM
DJLaPalme

I was hoping to see you in Ocala this weekend. You should try to come out. We have a good time. Dennis
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 PM
claserdesigns

I have to many things going on, I was building a swing set for my daughter on the backyard all weekend, I will be going as soon I get this gasser up and running, hopefully very soon, right now I'm waiting for the first fiberglass coat to dry. The engine and electronics are ready , and as soon I get the engine in place I will solder the cage for it.

ORIGINAL: DJLaPalme

I was hoping to see you in Ocala this weekend. You should try to come out. We have a good time. Dennis
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
claserdesigns

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

Hey claserdesigns...

Here is the link for the RX mod http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...tm.htm#9350100
Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM
claserdesigns

Here are a few pics of the fiberglassed bottom and sides. I will start sanding tomorrow and working on the motormount and cage during the week, hopefully I can test how it runs during the weekend.

This is the prototype so it's not pretty. After sanding it will improve a little.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.