RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   Gas tank position - below motor?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/11637145-gas-tank-position-below-motor.html)

MarkPrima 03-06-2017 06:57 AM

Gas tank position - below motor??
 
Hello,

I'm really confused with this issue. I just built a small airboat with a OS MAX 25FP and I mounted the gas tank (6oz.) below the motor but I am having trouble with the fuel siphoning and having to constantly prime the fuel line. Do people use something like a one-way valve in the fuel line?

How do you guys do this? I'm baffled.

Thanks

1QwkSport2.5r 03-06-2017 11:22 AM


Originally Posted by MarkPrima (Post 12312973)
Hello,

I'm really confused with this issue. I just built a small airboat with a OS MAX 25FP and I mounted the gas tank (6oz.) below the motor but I am having trouble with the fuel siphoning and having to constantly prime the fuel line. Do people use something like a one-way valve in the fuel line?

How do you guys do this? I'm baffled.

Thanks

Having the tank below the engine will likely siphon back to the tank unless you clamp the fuel line or close the throttle completely. The airbleed carb may cause it to siphon back regardless.

When the engine is running, the fuel should not siphon back due to the fuel draw of the engine. The only way to combat the fuel siphoning is to mount the fuel tank behind the engine ensuring the center of the tank doesn't sit above the center of the carburetor (spraybar). Do not use a check valve in the feed line - you will have carburetion problems.

MarkPrima 03-06-2017 01:01 PM

Thanks, I may redesign my next air boat and have the fuel tank behind the motor as you mentioned. But I do like the looks of having the fuel tank below.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-06-2017 01:09 PM


Originally Posted by MarkPrima (Post 12313163)
Thanks, I may redesign my next air boat and have the fuel tank behind the motor as you mentioned. But I do like the looks of having the fuel tank below.


Most engines will draw fuel fine when the tank is right under the engine - any more than that and the engine may have issues.

NEW222 03-06-2017 07:24 PM


Originally Posted by MarkPrima (Post 12313163)
Thanks, I may redesign my next air boat and have the fuel tank behind the motor as you mentioned. But I do like the looks of having the fuel tank below.

Ooohhh. A home designed airboat. Do you happen to have pictures? Would like to see it. Thanks.

MarkPrima 03-07-2017 03:21 AM

11 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NEW222 (Post 12313313)
Ooohhh. A home designed airboat. Do you happen to have pictures? Would like to see it. Thanks.

Yes here are my build photos. It is shaped out of pink insulation and then sheeted with oak veneer.


http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204285 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204286 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204287 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204288 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204289 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204290 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204291 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204292 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204293http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204283 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2204284


Here are plans for my first electric air boat - I still run this one - goes good in show - flyingblog.primaveraphoto.com/snow-water-bug-prototype-and-plans

NEW222 03-09-2017 07:44 PM

That looks very nice. Congrats on the build, and thanks for sharing.

crapshooter 03-09-2017 09:51 PM

you still have enough space to put the fuel tank behind the engine. having the tank down low will not only effect starting and running issues but also you will get lean runs which is no good for the engine.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-10-2017 12:14 AM


Originally Posted by crapshooter (Post 12314316)
you still have enough space to put the fuel tank behind the engine. having the tank down low will not only effect starting and running issues but also you will get lean runs which is no good for the engine.

There's no issue with the engine drawing fuel with the tank underneath the engine. I have done some testing with a fuel tank 6" below the engine and.3" behind it and the engine ran well. You have to compensate with the needle settings a bit. Lean runs happen because of improper needle settings. The FP engines have tiny Carburetors, so they draw fuel well. Other than fuel siphoning when the engine isn't running, there should be no other problems.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.