RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   BIG SWAMP BUGGY (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/2478898-big-swamp-buggy.html)

lusk096 02-24-2007 08:47 PM

RE: BIG SWAMP BUGGY

engine i just mounted a os ultimate 70. the mounts from kit look like they work fine so far im planing to reinforce alittle with fiberglass after i glass the boat. and boat doesnt have much space for a big prop might be able to squeez a 12 inch on it but can always add some blades im starting with a 11 x8 pitch 3 blade for my os fourstroke after i finish boat and get good look might try and squeez a 12 inch on. pictures will be coming up after i get it painted

vamp131 08-05-2007 12:04 PM

hi just found your post was looking on google to find what rpm my engine has got it is an asp 61 !

I have found a graupner 11 by 7 makes my boat go like a bat out of hell a normal 11 by 7 is okay and a 11by 8 is slow but the graupner

11by7 is the best i have found so far i have a 3 blade but not tried it yet but at full throttle she go,s very very fast here is a link to my last run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kHIhG9uF6A

n8mkr 11-22-2007 11:54 AM

I know it is only three years later, but care to post some more pix of your swamp buggy? It would be cool to see that airfiol and hear about your results with it.

xenocide 02-15-2008 03:55 PM

I put those plans back up, ( they must have been down for a while after I moved the site to another server).
So that link should work again now. :)

ORIGINAL: xenocide

i put the plans up if anyone else wanted them also::

[link=http://matthardwick.net/public/dumas_big_swamp_buggy/]dumas big swamp buggy plans[/link]

warbirdmustang 02-18-2008 02:54 PM

Can anyone tell me how to resize the plans on this link so my printer doesn't cut them off? I have tried everything I know to try, and can't make it fit the paper.
Thanks,
Bryan

warbirdmustang 02-18-2008 04:17 PM

Never mind fellas, I figured it out! Thanks,
Bryan

hpiguy 03-19-2008 07:33 PM

I should really dig this bad boy out of storage and build mine finally.

knbaudio 03-19-2008 11:27 PM

hey guys i have one that i'm going to take to the last swap meet on the year down here in florida i just primed the hull because the paint job was looking bad the clear coat that was use by the guy who airbrushed it for me started cracking and flaking off. it has a os.61 on it just needs a radio and paint the motor stand and radio hatch is still orange. if anyone looking for one i had three of these but i got to make room for new boat and boat that i haven't been able to get off the floor. my email is [email protected] let me know thank kyle

Richard Byers 08-08-2008 06:40 PM

Hi Ballgunner:

My friend and I both want to build the Dumas swamp bugy and I was wondering if you still had the plans and could we get a set from you? We would cover the cost to you if you could help us out.

Richard

WFOWRX 08-18-2008 08:26 PM

Richard B., are you still looking for plans? Email me [email protected].
Greg

shinobid 09-03-2008 01:22 PM

I built a big swamp buggy quite a while ago, and from my experience with RC planes, I knew that the placement of that fuel tank below the engine seemed a little odd to me, so I added the "header tank" modification to it right away!! I zip tied it to the back side of the engine tower. It works sweet!! Also, I did the pull, pull method for the rudders so that the servo is never under any strain whatso-ever because it never has to "push" the rudders. This is easily achieved by just running a cable from the inside of each rudder to each side of a dual servo arm. I also used a turn buckle type connector for attaching the rudders together, replacing that stupid brass flat bar connector. This is good for adjustment purposes when building to make sure they are parallel...Anyway, I know this ios an old forum, but I stumbled upon it surfing around this site and thought I would throw in my .02....

captinjohn 11-02-2008 08:44 PM

I got a Dumas swamp buggy...I think I will put a 18-22cc gasser on it. I bet she will zim right along!!! Or maybe toss the ignition and run it Gas/ glow!!! ;) Capt,n

Badfish67 04-13-2009 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost done with mine...here are a few pics. Anyone have any ideas for a fuel tank holder?...I need a strap or something so the tank dont move around.

asmithnc 04-13-2009 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Badfish67

Almost done with mine...here are a few pics. Anyone have any ideas for a fuel tank holder?...I need a strap or something so the tank dont move around.

I not a BSB guy but yes you need a strap or rubber bands to hold it in place. But where? If you had more room I would go with zip ties. But since you don't try rubber bands three in front a three in the back.... one on top of another.

Wake county is not too far away. We have a great pond in Greensboro and we have plenty of different airboats you are welcome to come . I have no idea if you are new to airboats but if you need help were here. Andy

Badfish67 04-13-2009 09:30 PM

Thanks Andy...Yes this is my first air boat, I have had many other boats but no air boats. I was thinking of rubber bands but not sure how I would set that up. Maybe put a small dowel on the top and another one on the bottom, then do the rubber bands cross ways. I only need them in the front because the back is held in by the slant of the engine mount.

knbaudio 04-13-2009 11:15 PM

a bunge the girls use on there hair i took one of my daughters black ones and it work great the fuel doesn't break it down i use them on all my boats tanks and radio boxes now.

Dreamin Hemi 04-14-2009 05:54 AM

Always loved these BSB's. Had one maybe 15 years ago??? Powered first by a .61 K&B than eventually a Supertigre .91...now that was fun!

For the tank, I remember using foam rubber below the deck for vibration as the fuel tended to lean out with the foaming, and using zip ties to hold the tank in place.

ckelloggjr 10-30-2010 05:26 PM

Pete,

Are you still out there? I'd like to talk about how you finished your Swamp Buggy.

Thanks, ckelloggjr

andyb0831 07-31-2012 03:14 PM

hi,

i built one of these babyies about 20 years ago and put a .65 on it.  it barely touched the water, i had a small sailboat hull i flipped upside down and glued it to the deck and made a cockpit and pilot to man it.   i'll look for the old pics and post them.  i did it in red and a coka cola theme.

i recently ordered the plans and despite the negativity i have heard about the satisfaction with them i found them excellent.  my boat is going to be 46" long.  with pictures that folks posted of their builds and the fact it is stated that the boat is 31" i was able to determine the width and size the templates to what i wanted.   i had to enlarge the template width to about 340% and the length the template to a little 0ver 600% to make them proportionate.  all the other parts i can sort out once the skelleton is built.  i am going to have someone fabricate the engine mount out of stainless.  instead of those two little rails to screw the proposed engine mount to i am going to make that whole platform a harder wood. maybe epoxy a metal plate under there.

not sure how i am going to power this beast.  am going to build this one to look like an authentic everglades airboat, with a gi joe type driver and all. i may turn the engine pod around and make it a pusher with a 3 prong blade. definately move the rudders further apart and a little longer than scale.

forward ho!

Twin_Flyer 06-08-2013 08:24 PM

I recently picked up two of these, but both incomplete. One is missing the rudders and the other the entire engine stand.

i can figure out the stand from the one i have but need template or at least the measurements for the rudders and how they are supposed to be mounted.

Thanks,
Bill S.

knbaudio 06-09-2013 03:37 AM

Hey bill it's been ten or twelve years now but I only have one with the stock rudder. The others I did had different shaped rudders the last set I did looked like old bomber plane rudders alittle larger than the engine stand and worked the best. I have a single rudder and twins from small to large.