RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   Big Swamp Buggy ??'s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/5425501-big-swamp-buggy-s.html)

Dartman1074 02-15-2007 10:46 PM

Big Swamp Buggy ??'s

Well I put the top deck all together and when I add the frame and side the top deck hangs off on the front and the back is that normal or do I need to sand it so its flat I hope you under stand what I mean Thank You for any help...

Tim

Dartman1074 02-15-2007 11:03 PM

RE: Big Swamp Buggy ??'s

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I am talking about

sidewinder35 02-16-2007 12:22 AM

Well im thinking you glued the top deck on to fast,cause in the back there is 2 pieces of wood you didnt putin yet . Its alot easier to put the radio and servoes in from the top right, its gonna be hard since you put the top on first. im working on one right know that is 10 yrs old,i framed in the the tunnel to make flat,im curious to see how that works hope you have fun putting your boat together, remember dont rush things take your time. im trying to figure out how to paint mine . later for now

dadkins 02-16-2007 12:07 PM

I actually made the top back piece into three hatch covers and have had to dig in a couple of times to replace/ repair servos.

Dartman1074 02-16-2007 08:07 PM

Thank You for your help I just put in the 2 peices of wood for the motor tower I think those are the peices you are talking about I will post some pics as I go Thank You again..

Tim

Dartman1074 02-17-2007 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more Pics I am unsure of why they wanted the top on befor the bottom I have a felling that is going to mess with me later on..

rickburnout666 02-17-2007 07:49 PM

BadAzzSwampBuggy have you got plans for that design, that you could share ? it looks like its going to have a tunnel, or are you filling that gap??

Dartman1074 02-17-2007 08:49 PM

Yes its going to be a Tunnel. Thats how Dumas made it. I may change it to a flat bottom later on depending on how I like the Tunnel I also have the plans for it. I will just have to scan them to my computer and post them on here or send them to you. Just let me know on how you would like them.

Tim

Dartman1074 02-17-2007 09:27 PM

Here is a link that I fond on here for the Plans

[link=http://matthardwick.net/misc/dumas_big_swamp_buggy/]Dumas Plans[/link]

Dartman1074 02-18-2007 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more Pic's

Dartman1074 02-24-2007 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here are a few more updated Pic's of my progress with the boat and my TS2 that I am in the middle of getting ready to paint.

crispyspa 02-24-2007 11:30 PM

Coming right along there.......when is the movie scheduled to debut? LOL:D

n8mkr 11-20-2007 05:11 PM

BadAzz:
Could you repost these plans or e-mail them to me. I am about to start building one of these. I am really interested in running it on the snow so if you have the mod for the flat bottom, I would be greatful for that too.
John, [email protected];)

dadkins 11-20-2007 06:04 PM

Kinda makes me want to resescuitate my big old swamp buggy. Good luck to ya - I hope you have as much fun as I've had w/ mine.

n8mkr 11-21-2007 09:19 AM

Dad:
Howa bout some pix of yours with the 3 hatch covers.
John

n8mkr 11-22-2007 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: sidewinder35

Well im thinking you glued the top deck on to fast,cause in the back there is 2 pieces of wood you didnt putin yet . Its alot easier to put the radio and servoes in from the top right, its gonna be hard since you put the top on first. im working on one right know that is 10 yrs old,i framed in the the tunnel to make flat,im curious to see how that works hope you have fun putting your boat together, remember dont rush things take your time. im trying to figure out how to paint mine . later for now

Sidewinder, how did your framed in tunnel work out for you? Do you have any pix. I think I would like to do that too.
John, Akron, OH
[sm=49_49.gif]

dadkins 11-26-2007 10:15 AM

Mine has a removable plexiglass piece that fits in to u-channels facing each other on the inside of the sponsons. my bother built the hull with those mounted -before he passed it to me I made the insert out of 1/8" plex with a little teeny skeg on the far back for tracking, otherwise it would do a constant slide and not be very controlable. He also made 4 aluminum hatch covers for all the aft hatches.

n8mkr 11-26-2007 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: dadkins

Mine has a removable plexiglass piece that fits in to u-channels facing each other on the inside of the sponsons. my bother built the hull with those mounted -before he passed it to me I made the insert out of 1/8" plex with a little teeny skeg on the far back for tracking, otherwise it would do a constant slide and not be very controlable. He also made 4 aluminum hatch covers for all the aft hatches.
Sure would like to see some pix. I have been taking some pix as I go. I will post some tonight or tomorrow. I would have screwed it up for sure had it not been for the great pix from BadAzz above. They were clear and invaluable given the crappy instructions. I have avoided many mistakes.

I am mostly interested in a snow runner so that is my interest with making a flatter bottom. I have also been reading some other discussions about reinforcing the seams on the sponsons to avoid breakage from running on the snow as opposed to water. I may attempt to reinforce the seams from the inside with fiberglass cloth. Still thinking about that. Not sure about using it on the outside of the sponsons. So far I have been taking care to use the right glues and methods. My framework is solid.

Please post some pix if you can to clearly show us both your hatches, the U-Channel and the bottom of your buggy. Inquiring minds want to know.

dadkins 11-26-2007 12:49 PM

I will see if I can get some pics tonight. It will all be very clear after seeing these.
In my experience -it is a better snow runner without the insert in. The insert did however help my underpowered BSB in the water. It is running a .40 Thunder Tiger that is just not enough in the water.
As for snow running I did fiberglass the sponson bottoms w/ 2 oz. cloth and epoxy, still, if you run on ice it tends to chew up the bottoms of the sponsons. With the right conditions I've seen 40 -50 mph ending in a GIANT loop over - It survived two of those before the rudder / engine broke - off.

n8mkr 11-26-2007 01:24 PM

That is so funny, I was planning to put a TT.40 on mine too. I have one laying around. Maybe a Super Tiger 61 then. I have time to consider this. I am postponing construction of the engine pod pending my decision. I am keeping an open mind to doing something different with the fuel tank and potentially increasing the height to accomodate a larger prop. All just thoughts right now. I read your prior post a half dozen times or so and I am starting to get a mental picture. What an elegant way to incorporate a removable insert: tunnel hull/flat bottom conversion on the fly. I had never considered the u-channel. I was thinking of something that might clip over the front and back, but a slider!! Nice idea.

dadkins 11-26-2007 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The brilliant part is the way the u-channels are mounted they are the lowest point on the sponsons and take most of the ice /rocks/sand hits - you will see in the pictures. Thea channels are of aluminum and are screwed and epoxied in place.
The way the plexi slides in from the back and and follows the curve of the rake on front it gets tight enough that no fastners are neccessary to hold it in place.
I think you are right to go with the .61 with the added weight of the above, it will scoot on water or ice or land.

attached is a pic of my motor stand.

Dartman1074 11-26-2007 09:31 PM

I didnt think any one would be looking at this forum anymore so I havent been on here for a long time. Today I just got an email from n8mkr "John" I am not sure if you have any ?'s Still or not just ask away and I will do my best to help.

Tim

n8mkr 11-26-2007 10:35 PM

Tim:
How did you swamp buggy turn out? Thanx for your pix, they were invaluable to me in following the crappy instructions. I sure would like to see some pix from where you left off to today.

If you have time you may want to check out the last half dozen posts. I picked it up then several people have been contributing. I had intended to post some pix tonight, but I have my usb cable for my camera at work and forgot to bring it home (will do so tomorrow from work). I have completed step two with the exception of gluing the deck on. Can you think of any reason why I shouldn't? In other words is there a step coming up that would be more easily completed by postponing installation of the deck?
John, N8MKR

n8mkr 11-27-2007 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Dad, here are my Big Swamp Buggy pix so far. The deck is not glued on yet, just setting on, and the hatch supports are not glued on. I will finish that tonight. I notice that the servo housing is not in the instructions nor provided for in the parts, so I am going to get some more information before i get too much farther in, on how to proceed for servos and battery.

dadkins 11-27-2007 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
N8mkr,
As promised here are some pics of my BSB. showing the added bottom filler.
That's not me in the pic- my son Jake .