RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Airboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/)
-   -   brand new electric idea with prototype pics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-airboats-246/8990886-brand-new-electric-idea-prototype-pics.html)

mr. ilikehelp 08-04-2009 10:08 PM

brand new electric idea with prototype pics

1 Attachment(s)
ive had this idea for a while and am now getting around to starting it possibly. i spent a good four hours and $0 building this prototype. the pics may be hard to follow but i think youll get it.
Tell me if anyone sees anyone sees any potential problems with this design.
thanks for looking.
ps any imput on design change or size or possible electronics and hardware would be great so feel free to post anything

[img][/img]

mr. ilikehelp 08-05-2009 12:15 PM

RE: brand new electric idea with prototype pics

i just started thinking bout electronics that might go in and i want to do brushless. i think a out runner moter that can spin a ten inch prop would be good. can any one suggest a motor and esc for me

mr. ilikehelp 08-05-2009 12:18 PM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLWU0&P=ML

from my understanding this would work if i ran it on about ten volt batteries.
am i right?

joseywales44 08-05-2009 04:20 PM

Are you planning on going Lipo? 3S would be 11.1 Volts.

What are the dimensions on that boat? It looks to be a sweet ride!

My foamie is 11" Wide by 20" long of 2" foam. I can't say much on performance overall as I have yet to solve the porpoising problem, but I can say it seems to have a ton of power. Probably too much power. It goes on grass without a nudge at half throttle no problem. The motor I have is a KD A22-15M Brushless Outrunner Motor

Specs on it are:

8x4 APC-E (3 cells: 11A, 125W, 650g, 39mph, 10300rpm)
9x4.5 APC-E (3 cells: 15A, 160W, 800g, 40mph, 9300rpm)
9x6 APC-E (3 cells: 18A, 190W, 850g, 49mph, 8600rpm)
10x5 APC-E (3 cells: 19A, 200W, 1000g, 40mph, 8400rpm)

I'm bumping down from a 9 by 6 to a 8by4 prop to cut down on power during my next test run. I'm using a 25 Amp ESC. Smaller prop will keep temps down too.

Mr Cajun Gator 08-05-2009 06:47 PM

It is a interesting design. Where you have the sides meeting the bottom at the tip of the transom I would move that point forward a few inches. That would give more lift on the outside helping it to slide in the turns. Like it is now I think it may want to spin out on you. Thats just my guess, what you have looks to be a new design and I don't know, so all I can give is a guess. Keep the ideas coming, you may just end up with one bad airboat that everyone would be trying to beat.

mr. ilikehelp 08-05-2009 11:59 PM

mr gator i was thinkin the same thing my self. the boat is twenty three by thirteen and i like working in thirds for my rake so i could do seven inches of rake and then leave two of the forteen at the normal sides then the rest like it is now.

joseywales i like your motor and i think it will work well on my boat. wat esc r u using? and if i dont want lipo rite away(tryin not to break the bank at once) could i use a 7.2 volt nicad?

this is a stupid Question wat is the name of that tubing that u can put a push rod through they use similar stuff for bike breaks and i cant put a name on it.
i want to run that for my servo.

oh and another motor idea to lower my center of balance i want or put my motor in the hull (like in the pics) or on the deck is there such thing as mini chains and gears or belts and pullys? would the motor not get enough air moving by it? do brushless motors get hot?

finally i want to keep my battery and control box cool so i was thinking an computer fan would work but i want some sort of trap door on it to plug it in case it flips. any ideas on that cuz all i have so far is a piece of metal hanging underneath it then when it flips gravity makes in fall on it.

finally here are more pics the motor bat and phone are just reference points for size. the green yardstick is three feet idk if that helps also the boat is two inches thick. well i cant get images working ill try to have them up asap

mr. ilikehelp 08-06-2009 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mr. ilikehelp

mr gator i was thinkin the same thing my self. the boat is twenty three by thirteen and i like working in thirds for my rake so i could do seven inches of rake and then leave two of the forteen at the normal sides then the rest like it is now.

joseywales i like your motor and i think it will work well on my boat. wat esc r u using? and if i dont want lipo rite away(tryin not to break the bank at once) could i use a 7.2 volt nicad?

this is a stupid Question wat is the name of that tubing that u can put a push rod through they use similar stuff for bike breaks and i cant put a name on it.
i want to run that for my servo.

oh and another motor idea to lower my center of balance i want or put my motor in the hull (like in the pics) or on the deck is there such thing as mini chains and gears or belts and pullys? would the motor not get enough air moving by it? do brushless motors get hot?

finally i want to keep my battery and control box cool so i was thinking an computer fan would work but i want some sort of trap door on it to plug it in case it flips. any ideas on that cuz all i have so far is a piece of metal hanging underneath it then when it flips gravity makes in fall on it.

finally here are more pics the motor bat and phone are just reference points for size. the green yardstick is three feet idk if that helps also the boat is two inches thick. well i cant get images working ill try to have them up asap

mr. ilikehelp 08-06-2009 01:47 PM

just finished this last nite and wanted to show it off only cost me ten dollars

mr. ilikehelp 08-06-2009 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
now it should work my comp has trouble with images

mr. ilikehelp 08-06-2009 07:04 PM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML

i found this charger it looks pretty good and can handle both lipo lithium ion nicd nimh batteries so it covers all of my hobby stuff(boats helis)
i assume for the price this can charge discharge and blance batteries

or would this be better

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT8&P=7

mr. ilikehelp 08-07-2009 02:14 PM

ok so just had another new vision for my airboat. for skinning it i would do like 1/16 in. depron with fiberglass. i wouldnt use resin i would use epoxy with the fiberglass to save on weight, and i would leave it bumby/rough so it would get suctioned to the water(or do i want it suctioned to the water).
for the deck i was thinking fiberglass the front up to the control box and do like 3/32 ply on the back. the wood on the back is so i could screw down my mount(s).

for the control box cover i was thinking 1/8 in depron with wood and fiperglass. then to keep it water tight foam door seal and to hold it down maybe magnets but im worried the magnets would interfear with the radio battery or esc somehow. is it possible for magnets to do that? or should i just have to hook screws and a rubberband between them?