Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tug Power questions

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Tug Power questions

Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
redlined_b16a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tug Power questions

What are mixing boads for and why is it needed?is it for real twin screw or for the flanking rudders?
I'm looking to turn two 50mm fourblades,36" push river tug(I think my props are too small),what rpm should I look to turn
Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
bigben2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tug Power questions

When it comes to controlling your tugboat, you have several options (see diagram).

A mixer is optional, but can simplify your controls. Personally, I'm using 1 channel for each ESC, and another for the rudder. My tug is still under construction, but I suspect that the rudder might not be needed at all.

50mm is also the size of my props; I expect no problems, but my tug is half the length of yours. I'm using a pair of 540 motors; how about you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53969.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	1502424  
Old 09-18-2010, 05:38 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Tug Power questions

A mixing board lets you control 2 ESCs (possibly 3) and a rudder servo off 2 channels.  The rudder is controlled normally, if fitted, the centre motor is also controlled normally, but the side motors are controlled differentially, basic power decided by the throttle channel, difference information coming from the rudder channel.  
If you have a radio with enough channels and a computer in the transmitter, the mixing can happen in the transmitter, or you can use the separate channels manually.
I did read of a rudderless model using a basic 2 channel transmitter - left motor controlled by the left stick, right motor by the right stick.  Since the right stick moved sideways, he said that control "took some getting used to".  I have a feeling that he understated the case, and he could probably draw circles with an Etch-a-Sketch™.