Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Super Vee 27 Battery >

Super Vee 27 Battery

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Super Vee 27 Battery

Old 10-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Vee 27 Battery

<span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Just about to get my Super but, I need some batteries and a charger. Any suggestion would be great. I read the sticky's on it. There is like 3 yrs worth of post on it. Left me way confused. Any suggestions on where to buy cheep and what to buy would be too helpful. Thanks
</span></span>
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 AM

Default RE: Super Vee 27 Battery

what do you want ? a rechargable receiver battery?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 AM

I need the batteries that go in the boat. I was told "<font style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">peak charger that can charge at around 4amps, 5000mah batteries"
</font>
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM

well here is one charger:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4240&search=Go
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWTD9&P=ML
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCJ9&P=ML
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXVP1&P=7

Battery
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2054&search=Go
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2151&search=Go

Dan.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Get a 10 amp 100+ watt charger, the 5 amp 50 watt ones can barely charge a 4s 5000 mah pack! well it can but not at full charge rate! If you pull 3000mah out of your batts and thats all your charger can supply it will take an hour to re charge the pack, You want to be able to charge your batteries at the full c rating for charging. Charging that same battery at a full 5 amps will take a bit over half an hour. Big difference!
Divide the watts by the pack voltage and that will tell you wat the charger can actually do. A 50 watt charger on a 4s pack will only deliver a max of 3.472 amps. A 100 watt cahrger can charge at 6.94 amps max but will actually charge at the full 5amps a 5000mah battery can take. Some batteries can be charged at 2c which would be 10 amps. but even a 100 watt charger cannot charge a 4s 5000mah battery at 2c.
Also depends I guess on what you are going to use for packs,2s 1p or 4s 2p. A 5 amp 50 watt charger is fine for 2s packs but thats about the limit for real use. As long as you charge one at a time.
5 minutes of boating then an hour of charging is not much fun, you can source a bigger charger for not that much more than a small one from the Chinese mail order places. A bigger charger will allow you to charge more than one pack at once which cuts down the waiting time.
2 or 3 sets of batteries and a charger that is capable of supplying enough current and you can have some serious fun without too much downtime!
Just getting into the electric boats, been into nitro boats and electric cars (on and off road) since the 80's. Charging principles are the same though!
I'm lusting after a new Hyperion 1010. will charge 10s, 10 amps and 250 watts if I remember. It can potentially put almost 8.7 amps into an 8s pack, be nice to be able to hook a couple of 4s 5000mah packs to it at the same time, or you can do 5 2s packs at once with the proper connectors!
Just remember not to exceed the recommended charge rates! Which is usually equal to the capacity of the pack, although some of the better lipos will charge at twice that.
I wouldn't bother with Ni-Mh batteries, old school technology, no where near as good a chemistry a li-po, Your new SV deserves good batteries!
All the above was with the idea you would be using li-po batteries, the chargers listed from tower are all Ni-mh ones with the exception of the B6 one.
The batteries listed are all Ni-Mh as well, You can get 5000mah 7.4v li-pos from china for a hell of a lot less than 40+$ for a 3000mah Ni-Mh! Thats a chinese 14.4 5400 mah pack price! Waste of money!
Your new SV is ready to run Li-Po batteries, the esc has all the features such as low voltage cut off etc. Why not use a better battery if you don't have to replace anything in the boat?
Old school batteries and brushed motors are what kept me out of electric boats! Built a 22" hydro with 8 ni-mh cells and a speed 700 brushed motor, ran it a couple of times and it now sits on a shelf on display. It wasn't til I recently started running with a guy with a SV27, the first time I saw his boat run I decided electrics have come of age and it's time to try a real one!
Before that I honestly looked at them as toys compared to nitro boats! Also used to have doubts about the RTR stuff, figured it would be over priced Wal-Mart style junk! Proboat and Aquacraft have done so much for this hobby, changed my opinion 180! Thinking about buying a Stiletto, will be my first RTR rc product in my life!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM

I guess now I have to decide on lipo or nimh. I really like the dura trax 230 and 240. I also am looking for a charger that I can charge mulitple batteries on. I would prefer one that could handle lipo and nimh. Thanks for all the advise so far.