Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Please Help!!! Boat Trouble! >

Please Help!!! Boat Trouble!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Please Help!!! Boat Trouble!

Old 08-04-2003, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!! Boat Trouble!

I recently acquired an older hydroplane boat, with an old K&B 7.5 o/b engine. when the engine does start, sometimes it revs all the way up to full throttle even when the carb is at an idle position. When you put your finger over the carb intake to shut it off, it just goes back to running at idle, even though the carb is covered. Also, I have no idea what kind of boat it is, it just says HY POINT on the hull. What fuel should I use? 10% plane fuel, 20% car fuel?? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!! Boat Trouble!

I'm no mechanic, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say there's an leak allowing air to enter the engine behind the carb.

If my hypothesis is right, that would explain the wide open running in a couple of ways. The first being that it is too lean, if air was entering the engine without having to mix with fuel it effectively leans out your mixture which can in turn cause the engine to rev higher. The second is that it is getting extra "throttle" if you will, with the throttle, you control how much air/fuel mixture enters the engine. The more air fuel, the faster it goes.

If there's a leak, the engine "thinks" the throttle is open wider than it is, which also might explain why it won't stall when you plug the carb.