Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

signal loss

Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
badgerico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default signal loss

hi

i have a bait boat that i purchased 2nd hand and took it out yesterday evening when fishing but spent 2 hrs getting it back as it lost its signal.
got no lose connection and battery power good.
its runs on a 6 volt battery and runs a mechanical speed controller and 27mhz am receiver.
i get about 10ft away and signal goes but sometimes it will go about 30ft then lose signal.
i have checked both ariels and seem ok.
thinking also of puuting a esc instead of mechanical one in is this a straight forward swap over.
if siganl cant be sorted out would i be better off going 2.4 and would i have to replace the current servo`s in boat?

thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Dan S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: signal loss

2.4 will definitely be an excellent upgrade and a lot more range.
although 27Mhz is not the best, you still should get better than 30 feet, something is wrong with either the Tx or Rx.

no, you don't have to replace the servo's.

Dan.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:04 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: signal loss

Any corrosion or dirt on the mechanical controller or bad adjustment of the wiper will give rise to arcing which will give local interference, swamping the 27MHz signal.  Arcing from the brushes in the motor will do the same.  
If controller arcing was the problem then replacing it with an ESC would cure it.  Probably better control as well.  The motor might still need suppression.
A badly sited or damaged receiver aerial or a badly connected transmitter aerial are prime causes of poor range.  Trying to "will" control by pointing the transmitter aerial at the offending boat does nothing - the signal comes out of the aerial sideways, rather than out of the end.  Radio, not rifle.  The end of the transmitter aerial is the point of least transmission.
2.4 GHz offers a lot more immunity to the radio interference problem, but does nothing for interference getting in through the power supply, as some are now finding out.