Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boat recommendation

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Boat recommendation

Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 AM
pitterchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat recommendation

Hello!

I'm going through this weird R/C binge lately (bought 3 r/c Heli's, 2 r/c trucks in the past 6 months) and now that the weather is getting warmer, I'm thinking of buying a R/C boat. I'm probably reliving my childhood and my wife is going to kill me!

I want to get an idea of how much I'm going to need to spend. I'd like to stay under $250 with closer to $100 would be ideal. But if I'm too low, I can increase the budget.

Here are my needs:
- Mini or smaller sized (I much prefer a smaller boat, 14"-21" seems ok but smaller is better for me)
- 2.4 GHz transmitter/receiver
- Good reputation
- Electric Power

Wants:
- Fast
- Easy to use

Would be nice:
-brushless power w/ capabilities to use lipo's

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Boat recommendation

Here's one good place to start at, http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/ . Most of the RTR boats now come with the Tactic 2.4 Gig system.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM
pitterchi

Thanks for the response Ron!

Its a bit bigger than i wanted.  I was looking around and maybe a 26" would be ok.  30" may be a bit much.  

How much is the Motley Crew boat anyways?  I don't see a price.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Ron Olson

I looked it up after posting, $349.95. According to Grimmie it was supposed to come with everything needed to run but the Tower Hobbies site says that it needs all of the batteries and charger.
If you opt for one of their lower priced boats, you know that you can get parts for them unlike the toy boats from Wally-world, Radio Shack, etc. that might cost you more. Tower even has their own boat that the price is reasonable and www.horizonhobby.com has some low-cost RTR's also from Pro Boat.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 AM
pitterchi

Thank you Ron!

I'm thinking of the Proboat Shockwave 26 Brushless.  Its about $240.  I'll have to buy the battery but I already have a Deans lipo charger so it shouldn't be too bad.  

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Proboat Shockwave?

Thanks to your website recommendation, I found the perfect boat for my daughter!  I ordered the Aquacraft Reef Racer 2.  The anti-capsize design made it an obvious choice!  Also, should my boat ever capsize, I can try to retrieve it using her boat!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Ron Olson

Excellent choice for your daughter. These boats hold up very well to the abuses that kids put them through. The problem is that daddy might have too much fun with it!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
TFLHOBBY-Candy

Proboat , Aquacraft both are nice . 

as my opinion ,one of the happiness is how to make a boat by yourself .

you can buy some parts separatly ,such as ,choose some common hull ,hardwares.and some better Motor ,Batteries  

Maybe you can go HOBBYKING  as you can save some money to choose a better motor / batteries
Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
pitterchi

Thanks TFL, I'm not ready to build my own boat yet.  I'm a beginner.  I'll check out HobbyKing for a battery though.  

I finally made a decision and decided to go with the Proboat Widowmaker 2.4 BL RTR.

I was reading some negative comments about the Shockwave 26 Brushless's build quality.

Also, I was a hair away from buying the Aquacraft HyperVee 27R but decided to stay away after finding out you needed to buy a $90 ESC to run lipo's.

Thanks for all your help!