Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 aquacraft super start woes >

aquacraft super start woes

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

aquacraft super start woes

Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aquacraft super start woes

Ok so i got a miss vegas deuce brand new while breaking in the .18 supertigre i had a few problems "yes im a newb to nitros" . got it broken in pretty much broke a tooth and shaved the rest off some in the aquacraft super start . purchased a new super start bolted her up motor has been starting good "within 2 to 3 seconds "for about 20 or 30 starts and now the POS is starting to slip and strip again. i learned my lesson the first time trying to start flooded etc but imho this is the biggest most worthless peice of junk going! my question is do they make a pull start for the .18? i have searced found plenty for the .15 will this pull start work? im seriously thinking about losing this nitro bs and going to a bl system not that its hard to tune or get tuned in its just bogus you have to have your engine running at 30k rpm and heaving the boat into the water at 20 mph just to get any real satisfaction out of it. and yes ive pretty much done all the "speed upgrades aside from the prop which i bought the grim racer prop, balanced and what i thought was sharpened and lately been messing with angles etc. personally i havent seen any diff in strut angles etc wether it be choppy water or glass the only thing i see differant is how hard i chuck this thing into the water to get help get it on plane.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: aquacraft super start woes

I think i've managed to totally strip out the Super Start gears on my motor as well. Is it worth taking the engine out and trying to rebuild it? Are there any user serviceable parts inside the thing? I was thiking of going to a sewing machine repair shop in town tomorrow ot get a belt and just use my 12V starter for my planes, but i really like the simplicity of the Super Start, provided it doesn't constantly take a dump on me...Has any one ever FIXED one of these without having to REPLACE it?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 AM

on my first stripped superstart i removed the little copper "washer" or bushing inside laid a bit of silicone in let it cure a touch and reassembled super starter. this got me by for a weekend but the gears were so trashed it was useless another thing i found with new super start is to not put and or remove the grease on the gears . i looked at how the gears mesh and i would like to ask the engineer of this item what he was thinking. there again they make these as cheap as possible to make as much as possible. im thinking im going to pick up  a .15  1 way bearing as the specs are for a 6mm shaft havent measured shaft but im thinking its going to be close hopefully it isnt as long as the aquacraft 1 way if it is im making a adapter plate so i can install the pull start. as for the rest of the engine im thinking alot of the parts are salvageable i would just inspect and if possible get specs and or tolerances on the parts and measure.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Well i think that replacing the super start itself is only $10.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXWNT2&P=7

It looks like it includesall the gears just not the one way bearing. I mean for $10 it's hard to beat.

The only thing i'm worried about now is where did all the teeth from the ring gear go? Are they floating around in the crank case of my engine?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Also, i'm thinking of getting a stick battery for the super start...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXJA83&P=M

They are only 6.99 Seems like a steal for the price. Or does that not seem like enough mAh rating for the purpose?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

ok just got back i found the old super start with stripped gears removed the thin "washer  err bushing between outer case and the main gear installed another bushing and wham bam she starts and does not slip. i actually had good runs on water today too. im thinking im going to drive the pin out of the old stripped starter and shave off say 1/16 with the dremel install it and see if when i put the wand in it actually pushes the starter gear into the main gear to make a better union of the gears. as far as the metal bits no the only thing between the super start and your internal engine is  a oring so u should be able to go in with a cottenswab and clean all the gunk and grease out and move on theres definately a gear mesh problem on these and im gonna figure it out gonna get at it now will post. and another thing i found i was using a 5000 mah 7.2 v nimh pack i put in a traxxas 8.4 3300 mah and the starter wand turns alot better. of course i cooked the brushes and replaced that motoe with a diff 540 motor but it definately turns faster now.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM

ohh and do not by any means use 12v car batt it works but it cooks the brushes out in that little uncooled motor in the wand quick lol i actually cut some of the case out for cooling purposes.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM

I've always used the 12V power panel battery for the super start and it worked fine and never cooked anything, never saw any magic smoke ...

I tried adding additional "bushings" behind the original copper one between the outer case of the super start and the ring gear, that helped a little bit and actually allowed me to start it yesterday.  I'm not confident that will continue to work though.  I'm going to just order a couple of them for $10 each.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM

10 bucks for 20 to 30 starts isnt a good investment lol . actually drove pin out shaved off the aluminum casing so i met the inner bushing inside the aluminum housing put small gear in it did go in further but the gears are to ground off to see any differance can post pics if needed.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM

I agree, but i think if i add those same shims to the back of the ring gear BEFORE those gears get stripped in the first place, it may last a good bit longer.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 AM

update... got so mad at the wand i litterally stomped on it went to lhs picked up a hobbico belt start, 12v panel  removed the 1 way bearing this baby starts np with belt start bye bye aquacraft super starter junk.