Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

taking on water

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking on water

Hi all, Ive just singed up after having a look arround the forums. My names Johnno. Ive been buying/ modding and playing arround with boats now for about a year. Ive recently bought a BlackJack 26 ss, and I'm very VERY dissapointed in some aspects of the boat. Biggest problem I have had (from the first time I put it in the water) it has been taking on, or leaking enough water to end up in the carby and stop the motor from running. I've checked the cooling lines/ tubes and theres no leak. I've greased the prop shaft more than enuff and have run the boat with the hatch/ lid tapped down and sealed, but still water gets into the hull. Has anyone got any suggestions on how i could fix it and or has anyone had this same problem with the ProBoat BlackJack26SS nitro???
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 AM

Default RE: taking on water

Oops.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM

You have Bad o-rings on your exhaust flange, you won't notice that in your Bathtub, Buy some new one and spares, it doesn't take much before they burn and if you exhaust is loosely mounted the will just keep burning them. Need to be mounted or change to no-leak flange but still need to securely mount you pipe if thats the case.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM

there are no rings in the exhaust on the bj 26 check the fittings on the head also if the engine has gotten to ho the o rings in the cooling cap might be leaking
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: hendocap

You have Bad o-rings on your exhaust flange, you won't notice that in your Bathtub, Buy some new one and spares, it doesn't take much before they burn and if you exhaust is loosely mounted the will just keep burning them. Need to be mounted or change to no-leak flange but still need to securely mount you pipe if thats the case.
Tim,
Not all gas here like the Dock. Lol.
I realize you were thinking BJ 26 as 26cc gas. It is a little nitro boat. Header is one piece and bolts up to the engine with no water used on the exhaust at the engine or pipe.
Nitro does not have as high exhaust temps so it works that way.

The water could be coming up the stuffing tube. Many times items behind the end of stuffing tube like ferrules and drivedogs (in your case doesn't that thing have the steerable drive so it is likely the universal joint)backwash the water pushing the water with enough pressue enough to come all the way out the inside end of the stuffing tube even fighting the rotation of flex normally pumping everything downward. They say taken those parts and beveling the leading edge usually stops that from happening.
I don't know as I have never had one myself really flooding the boat out but certainly had the grease flushed out awfully fast on some boats and thinking this is also why that probably happens because not only is the grease gone but definetely evident it was water flushed rather than bearing pushed out the prop end end dry.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Gotcha, I am familar with that hull, but i did mistaken for it being gas . try putting you finger over the water outlet and blowing through from inlet for leaks, all that leaves is stuffing tube like Daniel said, not much left after those 2.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Hi fellas, thankyou to all your replys.
Yes, my BJ26SS Nitro, only has water cooled head, water is picked up through the rudder. I have stared at it for a long time lastnite to try and wrap my brain arround where the water could be comming in from.

A few checks I did were:
1, I blocked the outlet of the cooling system and blew into the inlet wich produced no leaks that i could here.
2, I took the head off and put a tiny amount of silicone (solastic), on the threads of the head bolts, havent yet run it with this mod.
3, Danielplace, thanks for the tip. After reading your post I knew exactly what you were talking about so I found an O-Ring that fitted snuggly arround the flex shaft and I now have the O-Ring between the end of the outer shaft and the steel adaptor ont the flex shaft.<br type="_moz"/>
Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Now the rain has stopped, i'm going for a test run. Let you all know how she goes asap.
Thanks again, Johnno.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM

It works it works it works!!!!!!!!!!! The O-Ring seals the end of the outer shaft and the end of the stuffing tube and stops water comming into the boat. Took the boat out for a run and when i Brought it back to shore, the hull was as dry as a potato chip!!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM

glad you got it sorted out
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Shuweet !
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 AM

Could anyone help me with posting photos.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 AM

Start a new thread in the TESTING section and practice there, its fairly intuitive.