Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Marblehead. Whirlwind Olympic Winch >

Marblehead. Whirlwind Olympic Winch

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Marblehead. Whirlwind Olympic Winch

Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marblehead. Whirlwind Olympic Winch

<div class="smallfont">Marblehead Help Needed.- Whirlwind Olympic Winch</div><hr size="1" style="color:#A7A7A7; background-color:#A7A7A7" /><div id="post_message_19058267">First let me declare I am brand new a RC in general and yachts in particular. So be gentle with me.
I have just acquired a very tired Marblehead Registration UK/GB K3694
Its a winter project to restore.. My first problem is the sail winch. It is a Whirlwind Olympic 7.2 V with a white pulley circa 1". The winch has the normal 3 leads from RX for power and signal but also has additional 2 lead for own power supply. The winch is not functioning properly in that on the RX only leads the winch pinch just judders.

With its own power and the RX lead connected to winch the winch rotates continuously anti clockwise. As soon as I try to reverse the rotation with the TX the winch just judders and will not then even rotate anti clockwise. The winch also has a small adjustment screw at the base which doesnt appear to do anything.

So questions;
Can which be recoverd?

If yes any tips?

Does anybody in Uk have one to sell?

If no, can anyone identify a suitable plug and play replacement thet is strong enough to manage a 7foot sail rig?

The replacement needs to be a "pulley system" rather than a lever because or room etc.

Finally does anybody have any knowledge of the yacht K3694.

All help appreciated.
Regards to all</div>
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Default RE: Marblehead. Whirlwind Olympic Winch

Try a different known good servo in that channel of your receiver and see if the substitute servo behaves correctly. If it does then it sounds like the potentiometer inside the sail winch servo is dirty. Probably from a lot of use. You need to take the servo apart and clean the pot. You spray some TV tuner cleaner in there to flush the dirt out of it. Ask at the local seller of electronic parts for some cleaner for that purpose. Make sure that the run off from cleaning does not drip onto the gears or the electronic control board. Reassemble and test it again. If the pot is sealed then it probably needs to be replaced. I would just replace the entire servo at that point. Unless you have a similar one made by the same company and want to switch pots. Problematical outcome and can be difficult to do. If you can clean it and it works OK afterward then Yipeee! Start saving for a new sail winch. Generally once it's worn enough to require cleaning it doesn't have much life left. Might get another season out of it. Ask yourself how much you model is worth compared to the cost of the servo?

If the substitute servo also acts up then you have a transmitter or receiver problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 AM

Default RE: Marblehead. Whirlwind Olympic Winch

Thanks for the advice. however having opened the servo, its trashed inside. Probably from water ingress. So a replacement it has to be!