Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mds Marine Engines ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Mds Marine Engines ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 01:13 PM
TEAM-V-XTREME
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mds Marine Engines ?

ARE THEY ANY GOOD OR ARE THEY NOT WORTH WASTING MONEY ON. I DON'T SEE TO MANY OF THEM FOR SALE EXECPT ON EBAY.

JUST WANDERED IF THEY WERE A DECENT ENGINE OR NOT.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:28 PM
RcBoatLover
My Feedback: (1)

I saw a guy buying a few and asked him if he liked them. He told me that they ran good and were easy to tune.

I see them for sale and wonder if they are any good too! I know the price is right!
Old 08-24-2003, 02:27 PM
TEAM-V-XTREME
My Feedback: (22)

know were to buy any online.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:58 PM
RcBoatLover

I just see them on E-Bay.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:46 AM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

I own 2 of the 61s and they require a lot of modification if you want to race them.
First, the top end of the connecting rod is NOT bushed. NO bearings up there at all.
Next, the head button is one of the worst you will find, not intended for racing at all.
Next, the carbs are absolutely junk. You will need to replace it too.
Now, the good part, the timing on the exhaust and intake are decent, the piston and sleeve are pretty good, the rear drum rotor rides on a very thick bushed bearing. Cooling capacity is excellent,but change out the tiny inlets for larger ones.
A Picco, 45 exhaust header will fit the motor with the use of the picco donut gasket.l

I sent one to Rod Guaretty and he did $165 worth of work on it including all the bad parts I lmentioned above replaced. He made a new head button for it, decked the cylinder, put in a new Picco rod, and adapted an OS 4 carb to the rear plate. Also threw in the carb too. He raised the exhaust timing to 175 from 168.
He said it should be a pretty strong motor now but recommened that I replace the heavy flywheel with a Picco, which I did. I am gojing to put it in a 40 microburst.

Regards Curt
Old 08-27-2003, 01:56 AM
RcBoatLover

Wow that sounds like alot of work. Why not buy a better engine to start with? Was there something you liked in the MDS to make you want it for racing?

I pretty much figured that they were just for play boats. I have a few Dumas boats that I built and need to find some good running cheap engines for them.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:19 AM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

Wanted something different!!Will love throwing it in the water and hanging in there with the rest with something that is not supposed to be there!!! Will be worth it to me and worth the look on some of the others faces too

Curt