Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Miss Bud 1/12th Scale

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Miss Bud 1/12th Scale

Old 08-23-2003, 01:38 PM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Bud 1/12th Scale

Well I have had mine for a little over 3 weeks now. I hesitated on getting it due to all the bad things I have read on it here, but I am pretty well pleased that I did get it now.

To start with I am very new to boats (not to RC just to boats), and I did buy this one because it was a Miss Bud (looks do mean alot --LOL) I got the boat and imediately took it completely apart ( I like to know what makes things tick) I bolted the engine to my run stand and fired it up (made a adapter for the hose to cool the head)-- ran it extremely rich (had to keep the Glow ignitor on it to make it run) for the first 2 tanks. Leaned it out some and filled it back up and started and removed the glow --still very rich but was running on its own. 2 more tanks like that, and then the final test run I leaned it out quite abit more -- now its running -- leaned the lowend needle abit, and now the transition is great. Bolted the engine back into the hull after lubing everything up real good. Now for the water test.

Went to the local boat launch on the river (this time of year the water is only chest deep) fueled the boat up and started it --put the hatch on and headed for the water. I "set" the boat in the water and gave her a little throttle and trimmed her for straight running (wanted to turn left) --trimmed out --now time for some real throttle-- I mashed down and the engine revved way up and didnt really seem to go anywhere (Started thinking of all the bad things I had read here) after about 3-5 seconds speed started coming up and about 2 seconds after that it was "Houston we have lift off" she jumped right up and really started running -- went about 300 feet up river (just incase of flame out) and then relized I needed to turn back down river -- Whoops I was running the right hand bank --- DOH!!! means left turn -- I dropped the throttle back a turned left and wated for the worst -- wasnt too bad it did turn left in a huge circle but did go -- now back down river I came back to the right bank and mashed it again -- right back up moving along -- about 100 feet down river (I dont really want to swim for it) and at full throttle I cranked her hard to the right (this time) Full throttle and on her all the way to the right and she came around (another pretty big circle - definatley doesnt turn like my BladeRunner) brought her back to the launch --figured I should check her for water intake -- OK on this part everyone has been right -- she was definatley WET. Not drowned but wet. Went to the LHS --10 minutes from where I was running and got a Octura autobailer -- had the nice guy at the counter help me drill a hole --borrowed some quick set epoxy and installed the autobailer. Back in the truck and back to the river --

Second run -- Fired her up "set" it back in the water ( I haven't quite figured out what everyon is talking about "tossing" the boat in) and idled out about 10 feet or so and hammered the throttle -- engined rvved way up again and then grabbed about 5 seconds later and she was up and rolling again -- Running a big right hand oval == full throttle most of the time == I ran her for about 10 minutes and brought it back to the launvch to check again -- Pulled the hatch and this time still had some (very little) water in the hull but was pleased with how the autobailer had worked. Leaned the high speed needle a little more and filled it back up -- launched again and -- same takeoff as before -- revved way up for about 5 secs and the launched like a rocket.

I like this boat --yes alot because of its looks -- but I do not see really any of the bad things that everyone is taleking about other than the water issue, which was a 10 minute $10 dollar fix. Again I a new to boats and would like to figure out if the high revvs from an idle is normal, but overall I think this is a great boat -- I would advise anyone getting into nitro (especially boats) to break in the engine before running it on the water --unless they like swimming or have a good recovery method -- but thats just nitro engines.

I am sure I will get blasted on this but I don't think you could buy as nice of Hydro anywhere RTR "NEW" for less than $300. I have looked around and to build one would be at least twice as much.

So newbies to boats -- my opinion is this is a great hydro -- it does only like right turns at speed but will turn left at lower speeds without a problem. Do install a auto bailer and I don't think that water inside the hull will be a problem.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tossing the boat in the water is pretty much that. Give the boat a flat, level throw into the water. Do it at just a few inches above the water. This helps to get the boat up to speed easier and is less stress on the driveline. If you eventually move up to a larger boat, you'll be glad that you learned this. keep your revs up when you do this and it will get up on plane and speed a lot quicker.
You should be able to ajust the idle speed from your transmitter using the throttle trim control if you think that it's to high.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:03 PM
jah

I also got this boat because it looks so cool, and am new to boats (like you not RC). Here is a thread about my experience:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ght=1%2F12+bud

Once I got past the beginning of the breakin proccess, it ROCKED! Loving it, very good boat, and I agree for the price its hard to beat (IMHO I caculate the cool factor into the equation, and this is a very cool looking boat! ). In my thread I describe how I toss it, it jumps right up on step, no hesitation. Haven't had my free time, and the weather align so haven't taken it out again yet, but plan on it soon. Here are some pic's of it an my just completed DaleJr Bud body on my electric HPI PRO2 1/10th car.

Later

]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:12 PM
rcnut1
My Feedback: (16)

Man that is one cool looking car. and with the boat it looks even better
Old 08-24-2003, 11:34 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Default Car

I agree that has to be the coolest RC car I have seen -- damnit now I am going to have to build on to match the boat-- HEHEHHEHE

Hmmm wounder if I could get a reverse tranny on it and a boat hitch --now that would be cool -- tow the miss bud to the launch site with bud nascar ---
Old 08-25-2003, 12:04 AM
jah

Default Re: Car

Originally posted by IronicRcAv8r
Hmmm wounder if I could get a reverse tranny on it and a boat hitch --now that would be cool -- tow the miss bud to the launch site with bud nascar ---
Its an electric RC car, most ESC's come with reverse. My DaleJr car has a two speed in it, so disabled the reverse function. Here is another "Bud" theme RC. This time an electric SU31:

Not as cool as your Pitts (your avatar), I have a small red covered Herr Pitts converted to electric. I need to get some "Bud" stickers for it

Later
Jerry
Old 08-25-2003, 01:06 AM
IronicRcAv8r

Default My Pitts

Yes that was a beautiful plane -- past tense -- sold it to a guy and he crashed it on the first flight -- don't know what happened -- but it splintered into about a million pieces -- it was a scratch built one also --- May she rest in peace ---

Nice SU there also -- I had one -- didnt care to much for its snappy flight characteristics -- LOL -- so I got a Pitts ---HEHEHEHE --
Old 08-25-2003, 01:45 AM
briankenney91

Thanks for the info on the Miss Bud. The LHS has one of these and I had thought about trying out boats too. I might have to get one
Old 08-31-2003, 10:45 AM
MasterChief

Default Miss Bud and Water in the Eng Compartment

I noted where you rigged a water bottle to cool the engine during break in. I too did this as with other boats that I've owned. However, I notieced a tremendous amount of water leaking from around the Head. Specifically the head bolts. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal for the Dynamite 15?

Help, I'm drowning......

Sincerely
SeniorChief
Old 08-31-2003, 03:57 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Default Leaks

I didnt have any coming from the head bolts --I did have it coming from the nipples in the head -- that was a quick fix -- just tightened them up about a 1/4 turn and they stopped leaking
Old 08-31-2003, 08:29 PM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: Miss Bud and Water in the Eng Compartment

Originally posted by SeniorChief
I noted where you rigged a water bottle to cool the engine during break in. I too did this as with other boats that I've owned. However, I notieced a tremendous amount of water leaking from around the Head. Specifically the head bolts. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal for the Dynamite 15?

Help, I'm drowning......

Sincerely
SeniorChief
I believe those boats come with a extra head gasket....either tighten your head bolts down .....evenly ....or replace the gasket and then re tighten your head ....evenly....maybe even some blue loc tight on the head bolts so they don't loosen up again.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:22 AM
briankenney91

I am thinking about getting this boat but I can't make up my mind. Is this a good boat, I like the looks of it and the price is pretty good, but this would be my first boat so I am wating to hear what everyone thinks about it. Also is there anything that needs to be modified or added to it.