Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 New Boater Question about Radio >

New Boater Question about Radio

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New Boater Question about Radio

Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boater Question about Radio

Hi,

I'm a regular user in the RC airplane forums but know nothing about boats and a friend of mine is asking questions of me that I don't have the answeres to so I'm asking you guys.

He's mostly interested in getting into RC sailboats and one of his first questions was about radios. So I'm asking what he needs in a radio, certainly not one as complex as my Futaba 10C 10 channel radio but what would you guys suggest. I know all about requirements for RC airplanes but need to know what is necessary for boats. Also, the question is do you just buy a 2-3 channel radio or more channels for future use or is 2 channels all that is ever required and do boats use 2.4ghz like planes or are you guys still on the 75mhz bands?

Thanks for all the help you can give so I can pass it on. I've given him the links to all boat sites here but want to get some of this info firsthand so I can be of help to him.

He's a full-scale sailor but can no longer afford that so this is his second choice.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: New Boater Question about Radio

Most sailboats just need two channels. one for steering, one for the winch.  Some racing classes limit you to this.  Some like to use a separate channel to tweak the fore separately.  Anybody using a Genoa would benefit from an extra channel.  (Your mate will figure that one should he need it).  A few years ago, one Marblehead managed to use all 7 at his disposal.  He won the Worlds that year, but didn't the year after.  Somebody with a good eye for on the bank setup and fewer misadjustments possible beat him.<div>Obviously a surface set, or 2.4GHz works well.  The extra channels will be available, but using them is voluntary.  A 4 or 5 channel 2.4GHz outfit can cost about the same as a more traditional one, further savings happen when you don't need to buy extra crystals.</div>