Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New Guy.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Pettee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy.....

HiEveryone! Iam the new guy here.I have been looking for a while to get back into RC after selling off all my planes about 10 years ago.
Iam going to go with boats and cars for now, as living in Key West does not allow room for planes(save for float planes), and my 4 YO son has decided it would be "SUPERAWESOME!!" if I got an RCcar and boat. I have been browsing for a while, and decided to join. Seeking advice of course.

Iposted in the Car forum for decent car kits, and now here in the boating forum for something I have had a hard time finding online.

I am looking for a decent, long term build kit. Gas or Electric-either way. My initial hope was to find a V-Hull kit, and modify it to a center console fishing boat w/outboards. However everything I am finding is fiberglass-and I want to build...as in bulkheads, stringers, transoms, planks, etc etc.....

With that I am open to Superboat style hulls (The real ones are amazing, if you have never been to a Superboat race...GO!) but again i want something wooden, and preferabbly scale (I.E. Outerlimits, Nor-Tech, etc)

Something involved is fine. I work nights, and after the son and Fiance are asleep, I want something to tinker with and challenge me. I have found Dumas kits online, but is there anywhere else to look, or any manufacturers i am overlooking or have missed in my search?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Guy.....

zippkits.com
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
hendocap

Agree, zippkits are great Boats and fun to Build. IMO
Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Pettee

Thanks guys. I just took a look at their website, and it looks like the Easy Vee may be just the ticket. I am going to do some more research and searching, but that was a website I never stumbled upon. 

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM
wave waker

Welcome!!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Pettee

Ok so I have been doing some research today, and am learning my way through the LiPo, Motor, ESC stuff....

Basically-my thought so far is to use an Easy Vee kit, but modify it as I go to build what I would want to end up as a twin electric outboard powered center
console.

I came across the proboat electric outboard, designed to fit a 550 size brushless. I am not sure if 2 of these would be able to push a 48" hull along, but I think that it would. I am still sorting out the LiPo/Motor/esc combination. Any input?

I would have to, somehow, offset the extra weight on the transom by battery/radio positioning. But I think it is doable, as long as the weight/cg stay in line with original specs.

I would run one of These in each one of the outboard cases, in a 1700kv size. For Batteries I figured I would run a 6s Lipo to each motor.
I have not figure out the ESC thing yet...how to wire one ESC to control two motors. Or... if it is possible, to run one motor in one direction, and the other in the opposite to achieve counter rotating props. Thoughts?

Then I had another thought I wanted to ask about... Salt Water. Being where I am, I have no fresh water ponds...anywhere...So all my running would be in the flats and out islands....and in the summer in water close to 90 degrees.

Is it safe to run an electric motor, with a water cooling jacket, in salt water. I am assuming yes, as long as I take the same precautions I do on my boat and flush, clean, maintain it.

Anyway I am still learning, browsing, excited about getting into the sport. I am all ears to any suggestions. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I am enjoying the research as much as I am looking forward to building.

Thanks!