Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

soldering cable ends

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

soldering cable ends

Old 12-25-2011, 09:09 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering cable ends

I tried to solder cable ends that go into coupler. Reason so set screws don't ruin the cable ends. I read somewhere to solder the ends will stop the wear and tear. I tried using plumbing pipe ends and turned up zilch. I had the solder melted in plumb. end and was hot enough to burn paper but didn't work. I searched OSE and google and ping but no luck. Any help would sure help. Have a good day! Thanks!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 AM
cheesewizz69

Default RE: soldering cable ends

This may help you http://www.whhonline.com/Custom-Drive-Cables-s/75.htm

Although I prefer to use silver solder. You should be able to find the SS kit at better hobby shops.

Leo

Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks, but it's the other end of the cable i'm after. The figure you gave is for cable into cable shaft . I drill holes in 3/4" dowel and put in vise and put cable shaft screwed into dowel and clean inside of shaft and heat shaft and put solder in and reheat as i insert cable and let it cool. Now cable wires can cut like no end and are curled and tear skin like no business. Ok, if you know the answer to original inquiry, i'd appreciate it, oh yes, thanks!___________________________________________ I got a private email and was told the answer.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First .. you have to make the cable 'blanc' with a flappingwheel in the Dremel.

Use tin-solder with silver content (low temp) and a flux for SS.

If you have the right stuff , you can even solder with a heatgun.

I know what brand to use in Europe , but have no idea about the USA market.

Did some Google-search .. Silvabrite-S with Silvabrite-100 flux should do the trick.
Or Stay-brite solder with Stay-clean flux ( [link=http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Soldering/Lead-Free-Solders/Stay-Brite-Kit.aspx]Kit [/link] )
Old 12-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I think HendricX nailed it. If you didn't clean your cable with a compatible soldering flux, the solder won't stick to it Also, silver solder is the way to go as it's considerably stronger than plumbing or electrical solder. Plumbing solder isn't made to take a pulling force so it will fail over time. Electrical solder is made for wires and connecting wires/components to circuit boards. There are also two things you need to be aware of with solders as well:
1) Using any solder other than electrical for electrical work will result in a failure. All of the other kinds will build up a resistance that will keep the circuits from working
2) You need to be sure that the soldering iron you use, if applicable, is cleaned thoroughly before switching to a different type of solder. Contaminated solder due to a "dirty iron" will be weaker or may not work at all depending on the application
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Gentlemen, thank you. I went to you-tube about soldering and many said to use leaded solder as it didn't blacken the tip of gun. I checked this out and found to be true and keeping iron clean is a fulltime job. I use a sponge and steel brush and i believe i run iron to hot as it is adjustable and this creates the blackness and poor soldering job. The stay-brite and cleaner is good but ran out and have to get some more. Thanks again , it has been a pleasure!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Here's another FYI for you. When you're done soldering for the day, be sure to leave a coat of solder on the tip of the iron. This keeps the tip from corroding by not exposing it to moisture in the air and, as any one experienced in soldering knows, a bad tip means a bad soldering job